Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I was merely joking as apparently when the crystal was first designed for the room they fort to take into account the weight of snow on the roof.
Your posts are filled with both typos (or erroneous 'auto-corrects) and mis-statements. Maybe some proof-reading (or post-post editing) and some fact-checking might help?

yeah I meant the ROM. I just figured that was the reason why the design of it changed so much from the models to the end result. I thought originally it had more glass in it and less aluminum or rather none at all.

I seem to remember there were valid concerns about light reflection affecting the local businesses and especially traffic, nothing to do with snow.

Your posts remind me of the rumours of the University of Waterloo (and alternately UofT's Robarts, or a hundred other schools') library sinking because of the unconsidered weight of the books; as though architects and engineers are idiots.

Your posts remind me of the rumours of the University of Waterloo (and alternately UofT's Robarts, or a hundred other schools') library sinking because of the unconsidered weight of the books; as though architects and engineers are idiots.
...and sinking unevenly to the point of them leaning.

Toronto would finally have a leaning tower to rival that of Pisa. Oh, and some astronomer would drop a cannonball and a feather from the top as well.

Be a cool tower if you turned it upright and at like
350 metres and a double hieghted spire. Sorry for the 'dork' comment here.

Last edited:
I seem to remember there were valid concerns about light reflection affecting the local businesses and especially traffic, nothing to do with snow.

Yeah but Robarts is sinking, but it has more to do with it being built over a filled in creek then the extra weight off book.s All buildings sink to some degree or another over time. Some are just more noticeable then others do to various reasons.

This.

I got some picture of the bridge today. Most of the glass has been installed on the sections that they have complete. They have also started putting on the exterior cladding on it too.

35303118161_bda391cb30_z_d.jpg

35393175726_e8fe40a9c0_z_d.jpg
35393175346_994197ba06_z_d.jpg

35432670085_9b8412caf2_z_d.jpg

Snow loads are a very basic part of a Canadian architect's understanding of structure.
Architects sometimes do make mistakes though for example in Chicago there is a building with a roof that slopes towards the street and they have to close the sidewalks around it in the winter because of falling Ice and snow on it.
Smurfit-StoneBuilding-Oct08-002a.jpg

Last edited:
Architects sometimes do make mistakes though for example in Chicago there is a building with a roof that slopes towards the street and they have to close the sidewalks around it in the winter because of falling Ice and snow on it.
Smurfit-StoneBuilding-Oct08-002a.jpg
Does the sloped part of the building have solar panels? If not, then solar panels should be installed.

Does the sloped part of the building have solar panels? If not, then solar panels should be installed.
I think it's just regular glass, my guess is it was designed so that more offices could get more natural light. The only drawback is snow just slides off of it so they have to close the street in front of it in the winter.

That building's called the Crain Communication Building currently, but its most famous former name is the Smurfit-Stone Building. Look up references on the web to times the sidewalks were closed around it, and all you'll find are people spreading rumours that sidewalks have to be closed around it in the winter.

There certainly are buildings that shed snow or ice in less than ideal ways. But buildings in Canada or the US where the snow load was not calculated properly and designed for? That's just not a thing. The process of designing structure is very robust, much more so than EastYorkTTCFan can comprehend, based on his posts.

That building's called the Crain Communication Building currently, but its most famous former name is the Smurfit-Stone Building. Look up references on the web to times the sidewalks were closed around it, and all you'll find are people spreading rumours that sidewalks have to be closed around it in the winter.
Indeed. A steep angle, combined with ambient indoor temperatures warming the glass, I doubt this building sees much snow on it on anything but an absolute snowstorm.

The amount of glass was reduced because the light they admitted could damage exhibits, which was certainly a design oversight when you're building a museum. Architects and engineers have as much capacity to be idiots as anyone else, that's why they have oversight. History is replete with examples of screwups like the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse.

Back