Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Was raining when I walked by today so I didn't get a pic but just one or two final ribs remained to be installed. I saw some large wooden crates on site. Maybe glazing. I'll check tomorrow.

Was raining when I walked by today so I didn't get a pic but just one or two final ribs remained to be installed. I saw some large wooden crates on site. Maybe glazing. I'll check tomorrow.
II don't think they will put the glazing in until they put it in place. As they wouldn't want to damage the glass when they put it in place, plus they probably want to keep the wight when they move it to a minimum.

After all this construction and renewal, the Guy and his least-interesting Brown Cat still occupies his 64 square feet. This is city property. He has been there for 3 years and is becoming aggressive (all gangsterish) and territorial as well as intensely boring. Does the City have no right or desire in telling him to move along?

After all this construction and renewal, the Guy and his least-interesting Brown Cat still occupies his 64 square feet. This is city property. He has been there for 3 years and is becoming aggressive (all gangsterish) and territorial as well as intensely boring. Does the City have no right or desire in telling him to move along?

Who's this? Are you talking about the guy who panhandles with the cat on his shoulders?

IMG_5264.JPG
IMG_5265.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG
IMG_5268.JPG
Today, more work being done on the bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_5264.JPG
    IMG_5264.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 476
  • IMG_5265.JPG
    IMG_5265.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 435
  • IMG_5267.JPG
    IMG_5267.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 467
  • IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 431
Who's this? Are you talking about the guy who panhandles with the cat on his shoulders?

Yes exactly, it's weird.
You have street performers close by who are highly talented, and then this sullen guy who is basically pimping his fat brown cat. I saw a very unfortunate female meth addict being forced to vacate her spot in front of Shoppers further North, but cat-pimper gets a permanent free pass it seems.

A portico has gone up on the Hudson's Bay side. Combined with the fact that work on the bridge seems to be advancing with only the central "ribs" assembled, this gives us an idea of how they're going to mount and finish the bridge.

IMG_0526.JPG

They're going to fully assemble the middle of the bridge, glazing and all off site to minimize disruption to traffic on Queen Street. They can probably move it into place over night. The sections over the sidewalk can then be assembled once the bridge is in place, given that there is protection for pedestrians below.

Seeing how fast they're working now, moving the bridge into place might happen within a few weeks. The remaining ribs, interior finishes and the landings on both sides can happen over the rest of the Summer for a Fall opening.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 420
This photo really shows how small the Hudson's Bay side is going to be. They're limited by the size of the window.

eaton2-jpg.111647

But on the opposite side, they have as much room as they want and they're taking full advantage of that. The Eaton Centre side is very wide, tall and airy. This progressive shape shifting design is brilliant!

Look at the men inside for comparison:

img_5264-jpg.111395

Photos: @skycandy

Suppose they'll hang the Canadian Flag from that soon. Don't mind it to be honest, doesn't infringe on the galleria design too much. That said this is the mall that had a pink Christmas tree so who knows what they'll do with this.

Back