Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

God that flag looks terrible there.
Signage would be pretty cool without it, but man ... does it look out of place.

God that flag looks terrible there.
Signage would be pretty cool without it, but man ... does it look out of place.

As was mentioned, the flag is just filler in the render for a billboard. The billboard is already there with a Roots ad in it. There will not be a flag.

Finally went to the Nordstrom today.

Sorry if it's already been answered, but I remember Sears/Eaton's being at least 6 floors high. What is above Nordstrom?

The Sears head office takes up the remaining floors above Nordstrom. When Sears was still operating, they downsized the upper floors of retail and moved their offices there from 222 Jarvis St. With the continued death spiral of Sears Canada, who knows how much longer they'll stay there.

As was mentioned, the flag is just filler in the render for a billboard. The billboard is already there with a Roots ad in it. There will not be a flag.

I'd rather have the flag. It would draw more attention to Roots than yet another billboard in that area any way.

Uniqlo seems to be using the maple leaf a lot. Instead of their typical rainbow colours they have kept it to red and white, which perhaps speaks to both countries flags.

I like the wood slats on roots. Looks more like their brand.

Canadian companies tend to overuse flags or maple leaves. They need to stop being so generic,

They also do market research. Brand Canada sells both domestically and internationally. You might be tired of it, but it's not going anywhere. Besides, it's Roots. They're brand is closely tied into Canadian symbolism.

Canadian companies tend to overuse flags or maple leaves. They need to stop being so generic,

I've not seem an abundance of generic maple leaf advertising, so I am not sure what you are talking about. If companies use maple leaves in their branding and advertising, then it must work for them. They are in the best position to decide.

Reactions: DSC
Nothing wrong with a little national pride.
Americans are the ultimate flag-wavers, but rarely use generic national symbols in branding.

But I guess when you're the hyperpower, the global dominance of your corporations makes that unnecessary.

September 17, 2016

View from Nordstrom

View attachment 86437

I had mentioned that with this new view from Nordstrom that Zvelle and Birks now occupy high profile visual space in the Eaton Centre and such small retailers wouldn't be long for this world. Well, I was right. Zvelle has closed.

This is the kind of location that needs to be combined with the Birks space to make a statement like Zara across the way.

IMG_2168.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    839.7 KB · Views: 615
Last edited by a moderator:
I had mentioned that with this new view from Nordstrom that Zvelle and Birks now occupy high profile visual space in the Eaton Centre and such small retailers wouldn't be long for this world. Well, I was right. Zvelle has closed.

This is the kind of location that needs to be combined with the Birks space to make a statement like Zara across the way.

From what I understand, the Zvelle shop was just a temporary pop-up location from September 12 until September 29th. It was also used as a temporary location earlier in the summer while The Face Shop was undergoing renovation. They never changed any of the fixtures from when it was H20+. I wonder who will end up taking the space?

Americans are the ultimate flag-wavers, but rarely use generic national symbols in branding.

But I guess when you're the hyperpower, the global dominance of your corporations makes that unnecessary.

Also given the love-hate relationship the rest of the world has with the US, having overtly nationalistic branding is liability. Canada on the other hand has a brand that connotes certain stereotypes (nature, etc.) that is exploited for marketing purposes abroad - and also to reinforces the Canadian nature of the business locally (not that having a US-based multinational slap a maple leaf on their logo, a la fig-leaf, is a particularly honest message).

AoD

Agree with your observations. Adding both 'CF' and 'Toronto' to 'Eaton Centre' just clutters things up too. I realize corporate wants its brand in their but consumers don't give a toss who owns the malls they frequent. And if people don't know they're in Toronto we're in trouble. It's not the Pittsburgh Eaton Centre, if it needed clarifying.

I know this is a bit behind in the thread, but I haven't yet seen a response to it. I'm assuming the muddling of an iconic name is pure corporate territorial pissing—regardless of CF tacking their initials on everything—given that there *is* an Eaton Centre in Montreal, and it is no longer a CF property (they sold to Ivanhoé Cambridge).

Back