Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

I just noticed that there doesn't appear to be a hotel planned. A bit odd for a large employment area.

I'm a bit confused by their business model here. There are lots of good office proposals in various parts of downtown, and I can't see why tenants might prefer this location. Transit will be there, but it wont be any better than downtown. It seems like a substandard location unless the price of office space is lower here.

You can go on about all the negative things about this development. But it's just their preliminary drawings. New better ideas will probably flow in as ball gets rolling we hope!

Although this proposal is for the 60 acre property, there are also adjacent parking lots near by, and underutilized property near by. I wonder if this new transit hub will drive development beyond this particular development and into surrounding areas.

Looking at the size of that transportation hub. It's meant to attract more development beside it! Look what happened when they started to run a line under Eglinton and Sheppard Ave. The flood gates opened with huge developments !

I just noticed that there doesn't appear to be a hotel planned. A bit odd for a large employment area.

There's a hotel planned at for the already approved Studio Centre development at Carlaw and Eastern

Although this proposal is for the 60 acre property, there are also adjacent parking lots near by, and underutilized property near by. I wonder if this new transit hub will drive development beyond this particular development and into surrounding areas.
It's certainly meant make make the Port Lands more attractive: there are decades worth of redevelopment coming up in that area, but none of it will work if the transit is not good. A Broadview extension into the Port Lands with a streetcar that runs right up to East Harbour GO and RL station will make that area attractive. The area growing up around the station will also be attractive as a place to work, shop, etc., for those riding that streetcar north from home: no need to even spend the time transferring to a GO Train or subway, if work is right at the station. Meanwhile, East Harbour will be just as attractive a location for anyone who lives along the GO Lakeshore and Stouffville lines, or the Relief Line, or north on Broadview…

So, East Harbour has huge potential if it's done right. That doesn't mean that whatever plan is ultimately settled upon will necessarily be an overnight success, but the better the plan, the better the chances of an eventually successful new sub-centre for Toronto.

East Harbour's appearance at the November 23 Design Review Panel meeting has been cancelled. We are waiting for either December or January now to see the progress there.

A whole slew of documents were posted on the Dev App site in late December, including an employment analysis, a retail market study, and a technical drawing set:

upload_2017-1-11_9-42-14.png

They've also put a lot of (prelminary) planning into the RER/SmartTrack and Relief line connections:
upload_2017-1-11_9-43-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-11_9-42-14.png
    upload_2017-1-11_9-42-14.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 813
  • upload_2017-1-11_9-43-23.png
    upload_2017-1-11_9-43-23.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 864
It looks like the transit connection extends to the North lots that are not part of this proposal. Perhaps they too will eventually redeveloped...

From the Technical Plans:

upload_2017-1-11_9-57-35.png

The interface with RL is a bit weak (challenge of where it is located I suppose). the Don River edge of the site is wasted so far.

upload_2017-1-11_10-3-20.png

Need to think bigger than treating the edge of the river still as a utilidor. They are going to be regrading the site for flood protection, and rebuilding the DVP/Gardiner ramps - can we have something more imaginative than this?

But look at how wide those planned platforms at the GO station are:

upload_2017-1-11_10-23-48.png

The fact that we're planning for this here and not Union didn't get lost on me.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-11_9-57-35.png
    upload_2017-1-11_9-57-35.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 863
  • upload_2017-1-11_10-3-20.png
    upload_2017-1-11_10-3-20.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,000
  • upload_2017-1-11_10-23-48.png
    upload_2017-1-11_10-23-48.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
that cover over the GO station still looks ridiculously expensive. Would be incredible if it happened, but I have my doubts.

... it's key to remember the main transfer point from the Relief Line to ST will be at Gerrard. This will be more akin to Spadina on Line 1 & 2.

Back