Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

It'll be a ghetto like CityPlace in 30 years time.

Cityplace is not a ghetto and never will be. Same goes for here.

I imagine we might see a hotel here also. Either way, this is clearly very preliminary, so I'm not passing judgement.

[QUOTE="innsertnamehere, post: 1162029, member: 7217"
14881423_10154026284058543_1423573597_o-jpg.90506

Does anyone feel that this central plaza and the arrangement of the towers is a lot more La Défense than Canary Wharf?

Wow, there's some harsh criticism on the page. I think it's interesting but I'm not fond of all the tall towers surrounding the courtyard, shadow/wind aside, it makes it feel too private, I'd rather see it in a corner exposed to the streets (and maybe have a view of the lake). And do they really need that many tall towers? I think one or two signature ones would good and really stand out. And I agree, that's a huge block just for commercial enterprises.

I do like the terrace approach and the green roofs though.

I have no connections to the Unilever building itself - but it sounds like a lot of people want to keep it? Why's that?

It should be remembered that this is dependent on transit infrastructure that might not happen.
East Harbour GO RER station is funded in Metrolinx's Ten Year Plan as announced back in June, so that bit of infrastructure you should not need to worry about. While this would be a major stop for it, the Relief Line is bigger than its planned station here, and we simply must not let that line go by the wayside. The LRTs and streetcars I'm not concerned about: as the Port Lands get developed, it's inconceivable that they could go ahead without those transit lines going in. (Cue Wallace Shawn.)

Wow, there's some harsh criticism on the page. I think it's interesting but I'm not fond of all the tall towers surrounding the courtyard, shadow/wind aside, it makes it feel too private, I'd rather see it in a corner exposed to the streets (and maybe have a view of the lake). And do they really need that many tall towers? I think one or two signature ones would good and really stand out. And I agree, that's a huge block just for commercial enterprises.

I do like the terrace approach and the green roofs though.

I have no connections to the Unilever building itself - but it sounds like a lot of people want to keep it? Why's that?
My grandfather was a floor manager at the plant and even I don't mind seeing it go..

First Gulf have been trying to lease office space in the old Lever Bros. plant for a few years now. With no-one in there, is it a big surprise that they are hoping to demolish it?

The only thing missing from this massive project is a monorail. :) Speak up Doug Ford!

Kidding aside, this is a 1950s style project and a monorail was probably de rigueur back then. Yes to an employment centre, yes to retail, but no residential? Yes there is residential across the Don and to the north, but it will be kind of dead after dark. Also, it really needs a landmark building. Right now, it basically looks like a wall from the west. The transit centre concept is interesting, and the extension of Broadview is good, but ... well, I'd say making such a big project without residential nowadays is risky. Basic site plan good, now work on making it into more of a 21st century project.

GG/FG: Good start by the second floor, now bring in some of the first floor guys and integrate some residential!

I'd like to see the northern and eastern edges be more integrated with the surrounding city, and try to connect with/reconstruct the street grid. Without that, like someone mentioned above, it feels very... 1950's, and not in a good way.

I think this company is on the right track. Where taking about office, retail and leisure stuff. Condos will be built around this sight. And people will shop ant eat in this huge development. Because they're also going to create a new underground path system like the financial district that's always a crowd please.

Hello! Haven't you read anything on Urban Toronto, Reddit or The Star in the last 5 years? CityPlace is going to be Toronto's next St. James Town. Those poorly built condos and increasing renters vs. owners are probably only a decade or two away from becoming our next urban failure.

Hello! There has been speculation to that effect, but as many people rightly point out Toronto of the 2010s isn't Toronto of the 1960s. So we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, calling it a ghetto today is just silly.

Seems ok, my biggest question is in regards to the demand for that much office space. Is the demand there? If so I'd rather see some larger projects downtown happen before this. But if the demand is there... sure.

Seems ok, my biggest question is in regards to the demand for that much office space. Is the demand there? If so I'd rather see some larger projects downtown happen before this. But if the demand is there... sure.
Toronto is emerging as a globally relevant city in the business/economic sense. This is while expecting a huge population boom in the next 30 years.

I think we can absorb East Harbour site, and some of the larger projects downtown over time.

What I think will happen is many of our older office stock outside of the financial district will be renovated into condo lofts as their tenants leave for newer office space, and there will be very little room left over for office space in other areas of the city. Bringing offices to Scarborough Town Centre will continue to be an unrealized pipe dream. (Why on earth would any tenant choose STC over East Harbour?)

Back