Toronto David Crombie Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Any idea as to why construction was delayed?

My best guess is what @DSC said in his post, here: (after last years budget)

Depending on how you want to read those numbers above from this year, the slippage is just a year (though a lesser sum budgeted than in '21); or the slippage is a bit greater, with the previous project divided into two.

Though, if you read the project numbers, neither of this years listings match last year's project number; and the total budget appears to have dropped 5M.

But as I noted, Parks has a truly bizarre way of accounting for projects that I very much dislike; its quite convoluted, and can be needlessly confusing!

The tendency to break things into sub-projects also inflates project workload and cost.

Last edited:
This seems an apt spot to drop this:

1649516752445.png

This seems an apt spot to drop this:

View attachment 391505
Now that the closing date has passed (May 10th) when can we expect an announcement about the winning architect firm? I am really hoping for Claude Cormier based on what we got for Berczy. This feels very 50/50 in terms of ending up like Berczy or otherwise Sherbourne common based on the preferred concept plan. It could be iconic based on how much space there is to work with (the length of 6-7 city blocks) but I am worried about the execution.

Now that the closing date has passed (May 10th) when can we expect an announcement about the winning architect firm? I am really hoping for Claude Cormier based on what we got for Berczy. This feels very 50/50 in terms of ending up like Berczy or otherwise Sherbourne common based on the preferred concept plan. It could be iconic based on how much space there is to work with (the length of 6-7 city blocks) but I am worried about the execution.
I would expect we might hear about bidders and winner in September, it would be great to have Cormier but I suspect not.

I would expect we might hear about bidders and winner in September, it would be great to have Cormier but I suspect not.

The winner just got the tender at Bid Award on January 11th.

It is not Cormier.

It is SLA

(IBI local partner)

1674679888465.png

Not a lot of $$$ here, so expectations will have to be tempered.

For interest's sake, this is the full list of bidders:

1674679967034.png

The new design is out today, and Stephanie Calvet has a good Front Page story about it, here:

Arcadis has a page up on the project as well, that can be found here:

Renders from the above link:

1716827537274.png

1716827560823.png

1716827580578.png

I thought this was going to be a full redesign, but it looks like a BIG touch up project instead?

I thought this was going to be a full redesign, but it looks like a BIG touch up project instead?

To the extent that is true, and I think it is in some respects, I think that's a good thing.

This is and has been one of Toronto's better and more successful greenspaces over the years, one that was just a bit long in the tooth, with some of the paving/brick/concrete over 50 years old and showing its age, play equipment due for replacement, flower beds that need a refresh, and then the desire to add/integrate a few novel improvements like the Cycle Track, more pedestrianized/beautified cross streets, and some design changes that ease future maintenance and improve accessibility.

No need for a gut job.

To the extent that is true, and I think it is in some respects, I think that's a good thing.

This is and has been one of Toronto's better and more successful greenspaces over the years, one that was just a bit long in the tooth, with some of the paving/brick/concrete over 50 years old and showing its age, play equipment due for replacement, flower beds that need a refresh, and then the desire to add/integrate a few novel improvements like the Cycle Track, more pedestrianized/beautified cross streets, and some design changes that ease future maintenance and improve accessibility.

No need for a gut job.
Agreed the bones are great. should look amazing with the refresh and updated bike path

Imagine if Rail Deck Park w/o the NINE condos had shovels in ground or even completed by now. Toronto could have been the envy instead of a dumping ground for critics. Money & funding were the big issues i suppose, but private donations & the philanthropic society for the public realm, in this wealthy big city, has always been lacking, comparatively. Also, some big criticisms of park maintenance?
Yes!! It matters that the last 13 yrs in Toronto were run by the cost cutting, slashing, parochial, good enough horde.

I genuinely hope this project turns out well. Everyone was so excited by the Nathan Phillips Square revitalization that was focused on restoring the original design but with enhancements.

The end result, while an improvement overall with the stage, restaurant and washrooms, highlighted the weaknesses of the original design as well. There's a vast expanse of concrete in front of City Hall that's sterile and boring. The overhead walkways remain problematic from an operational standpoint and are often closed to this day.

Here, we see the preservation of the cast-in-place concrete walkways with rather sparse bands of brick. We should be using more granite and stone in our public spaces. It lasts a long time and makes for higher-quality public realm. Bare concrete retaining walls look cheap and utilitarian.

Back