Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Considering all the skyhigh developments in the immediate vicinity it's almost certain the two 11 storey buildings on the east of Bay between Yorkville & Cumberland will be developed. The northern one is managed by Canderel but not sure if they own it. The longtime Persian rug shop on the ground floor has signs up saying they're leaving.

Too lazy to do detailed sketch w/ Google Earth so here's a simple mass'n model. 1255 Bay by Kingsett, Bay & Scollard by P ____ ;) Morguard owns building at B&B so expect longer term redevelopment. Imo at least one--1255 I believe--will be a JV with local arch.

yuckville.png

S=Scollard
Y=Yorkville
C=Cumberland

Unmarked building is new 4$

Edit: I goofed--building on NE corner Bay&C unknown.

Last edited:
Funny? If you ran a business such as The Pilot, you'd probably scream bloody murder for the interruptions of (likely) 4 years. The Pilot is a great place, btw -- live jazz. Go there some time if you like music. Cities are about bars with live music, as much as for skyscrapers. I think I'll side with The Pilot.

We're supposed to declare an entire city block off limits so as not to "interrupt" The Pilot? That entire strip of Cumberland North & South is hideous - including (or especially) The Pilot.

So there's potential towers all along the east side of Bay? Those would be pretty sizable office buildings that would be coming down. I somehow doubt that makes financial sense in this slower market.

Very interesting. That could be the first sign of much more change to come on a few sites in the area, depending on where the division of the lots happens.

There is talk of reworking the various proposals in the area to get a pedestrian mews and view corridor from Bloor Street up to the Yorkville Fire Hall's clock tower. A mid-block connection could work wonders for revitalizing and animating Cumberland and Yorkville, on the Bay to Yonge stretch of each, in conjunction with all of the redevelopment proposals in here.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Very interesting. That could be the first sign of much more change to come on a few sites in the area, depending on where the division of the lots happens.

There is talk or reworking the various proposals in the area to get a pedestrian mews and view corridor from Bloor Street up to the Yorkville Fire Hall's clock tower. A mid-block connection could work wonders for revitalizing and animating Cumberland and Yorkville, on the Bay to Yonge stretch of each, in conjunction with all of the redevelopment proposals in here.

Fingers crossed.

A midblock connection would be huge. What you described sound great. This would mean a reworking of the Minto proposal too, no?

That should certainly help improve circulation and encourage pedestrian activity in what are rather currently untravelled city blocks. A midblock connection would also be another opportunity to continue the Yorkville theme of charming pedestrian passage with boutiques and eateries.

A midblock connection would be huge. What you described sound great. This would mean a reworking of the Minto proposal too, no?

Yes, and the 50 Bloor West one. It would also require the building that Taschen is in on Yorkville (#29) to come down. (No great loss!) I wonder if Minto have bought it.

Indeed the idea of a mid-block connection there would be great in adding character and better circulation to the block. Yes please!

The midblock connection would be fantastic, but I wonder if a better location for it might be to line up with the new fountain at the Four Seasons. I know it doesn't have the same historical cachet but it would still be a distinctive corridor, and I think it would be easier to achieve given the locations of the new proposals.

But if it does line up with the clock tower on the north end I'd hope they can pitch the corridor slightly so that the south end lines up with Balmuto.

Back