Toronto CrystalBlu Condos | ?m | 36s | Bazis | Burka

Posts related to an unfinished building in Bangkok have been moved here.

Last edited:
Dec 28 Update

Blu site in foreground

I love watching progress on the Uptown and Crystal Blu together. And the two cranes both with a different developer name. Howver, I was wandering, with these buildings basically touching, what of the people who have windows facing the other tower?

20 January 2009 photo update

I stared abit after taking this photo, and realized with horror that I did indeed see one or two workers on the Bazis site!

DSC01362.jpg

Okay, so rather than complaining about the fact that this site seems to have been stuck on ground level for months, let me pose the question to this forum's well-informed members: why DO projects get stuck at ground level?

I understand that basements and podiums are slower because the formwork changes floor-to-floor, and layouts aren't standard. But why the pause at ground level specifically?

SNF, The reason it usually takes longer to build ground level, is that floor is usually at least double hieght around 6m, so wall forms have to be staked one on to of the other more steel goes into them takes much longer to set up to received concreate. plus there often is a transfer beams on the ground floor.
And if temperature being below -10 and showing, union guys don't have to report to work.

SNF, The reason it usually takes longer to build ground level, is that floor is usually at least double hieght around 6m, so wall forms have to be staked one on to of the other more steel goes into them takes much longer to set up to received concreate. plus there often is a transfer beams on the ground floor.
And if temperature being below -10 and showing, union guys don't have to report to work.

Thanks for the insightful response, Bob.

Stupid unions. When it's below -10 and snowing, I still have to report to work
at my keyboard.

Really? Shit, I guess I could've stayed home then the last three weeks.

I don't know where you got that from, but it's blatantly false. The green book entitles us to warm up breaks so as to allow us to avoid frostbite but that's not a union provision, that's a general health and safety law that applies to everyone. Other than that the jobs are still open, and there's no minimum temperature at which work must stop, tho companies will often elect to send people home if it's not practical to do certain tasks (pouring concrete, for example, isn't practical to do below a certain temperature, same goes for a lot of landscaping work).

Anecdotally I've only lost one day in my entire career to low temperatures, and we still reported to work that day but decided to give up two hours in because the caulking we were using was freezing solid in the tubes before we could apply it. I believe that was around minus 30, without the wind.

Back