News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Which decade do you expect this subway line to open….
Construction stated in 2011. So, a complete subway should be running sometime around 2028-2030. Given that the actual Mount Dennis to Kennedy section won’t be running until 2025, and from Renforth until the 2030s, this sounds like a fair trade off to get an actual subway. If Scarborough can wait until the 2030s for their stub of a subway extension, and all of us until close to 2040 for the Ontario Line; what’s another few years for the Eglinton?

Which decade do you expect this subway line to open as tunneling will just be finish in the east end now?
Crosstown tunnelling finished in August 2016. Assuming (if planned for) TBMs continued straight into the extended tunnelling there would be no added ramp up time. Changing the at-grade sections to below-grade would be 6km extra.

At 15 metres per day of tunnelling power you could complete these extensions in 400 days. Even at half the efficiency that’s 2.5 years or about Q1 2019. Crosstown even employed two separate pairs of TBMs, which could have had this done even quicker.

I can’t say anything beyond that about station construction, just putting into perspective what drum said rather exaggeratively. I think it’s fairly valid to say that, if done right, we could have had a whole subway line in the same time frame.

They do in Philly. They do in Boston. They do in San Fran.

Why are we so precious?

Dan
Where else does a subway run alongside and share intersections, signals and pedestrian crosswalks with automotive traffic? That’s what makes it a LRT rather than a subway, in my book anyway.

They do in Philly. They do in Boston. They do in San Fran.
Where else does a subway run alongside and share intersections, signals and pedestrian crosswalks with automotive traffic? That’s what makes it a LRT rather than a subway, in my book anyway.
Where else?

How isn't Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco enough? If you go to the MBTA's page for the subway (https://www.mbta.com/guides/subway-guide) you can literally see a grade crossing in the second photo on the page!

1698603195709.png

Reactions: T3G
San Francisco refers to the system as Muni Metro(politan) Light Rail. They count some of their stops as subway stations, but on this official page they don't mischaracterize the whole system as subway.
https://www.sfmta.com/getting-aroun...ts,surface stations are wheelchair-accessible.

Melbourne calls its under construction commuter rail (Metro Trains Melbourne) tunnel the metro tunnel. In that case I believe it's intentional mischacterization, due to their embarrassment that Sydney has a metro (along with most other large, global, cosmopolitan cities).

Line 5 is going to be a big improvement over the bus, but based on all of the surface section testing videos to date, those who are misled into thinking it will run the way lines 1, 2 and 4 do are going to be disappointed.

San Francisco refers to the system as Muni Metro(politan) Light Rail. They count some of their stops as subway stations, but on this official page they don't mischaracterize the whole system as subway.
https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/muni-metro-light-rail#:~:text=The Muni Metro system consists,surface stations are wheelchair-accessible.

Melbourne calls its under construction commuter rail (Metro Trains Melbourne) tunnel the metro tunnel. In that case I believe it's intentional mischacterization, due to their embarrassment that Sydney has a metro (along with most other large, global, cosmopolitan cities).

Line 5 is going to be a big improvement over the bus, but based on all of the surface section testing videos to date, those who are misled into thinking it will run the way lines 1, 2 and 4 do are going to be disappointed.
It would be know as speeding over the posted street speed limit unless the province allows it. Then, in some spots, speed would be very close to line 1+2+4

Tram lines like Finch in Europe run at posted speed limits on lines I have ridden

https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/muni-metro-light-rail#:~:text=The Muni Metro system consists,surface stations are wheelchair-accessible.

Metro Trains was named as such in 2009 - this is three years before the Sydney Metro as-built was conceived.

Boston puts the Green Line on its T maps. I think the Philly subway-surface lines get a different branding (just look at the name).

As for Eglinton, all we need to do was turn on traffic priority signals. On a $10 billion ($15+ billion with Eglinton West) transit line. Bleh.

In SF I feel that BART takes the place of the subway in other cities. Muni is very local and often after taking BART. I found in my travels I'd mostly take BART and then a Muni bus, rarely I'd take the Muni metro, but I did a couple times. Staying in Oakland this last trip I discovered AC Transit was the only way to get back to Oakland after BART service ends. Had never even heard of it before. The Bay Area's public transit is surprisingly fragmented, but the fact that they all (or at least the ones i took) take the Clipper card somewhat helps.

They are all separate cities/counties so it somewhat makes sense. Pretty similar to the GTA with the various transit agencies, except that BART is regional and is much better than GO Transit, although I guess it's really a hybrid between the subway and GO.

It would be know as speeding over the posted street speed limit unless the province allows it. Then, in some spots, speed would be very close to line 1+2+4

Tram lines like Finch in Europe run at posted speed limits on lines I have ridden
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but you're right that tram lines in some European cities run fast, as fast as the posted speed limit through intersections. Berlin comes to mind. Those trams really fly, even around curves.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but you're right that tram lines in some European cities run fast, as fast as the posted speed limit through intersections. Berlin comes to mind. Those trams really fly, even around curves.
If Finch LRV's are over the street posted speed limit, they are speeding unless the Province allows them to do so. Same applies to Crosstown on the surface.

Found Paris T Lines slow compare to traffic as well a few other lines elsewhere with the ROW in the centre of the road.

Back