News   May 10, 2024
 732     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 863     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 933     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

every video they show of a supposedly completed station gets me more and more incensed on why they still need another year essentially to open....
its almost as if...and stay with me here. They dont actually need another year to open. People keep forgetting this. Its not that they dont know when its going to open, they have a good idea of when.

they just dont want to say a date and be wrong

its almost as if...and stay with me here. They dont actually need another year to open. People keep forgetting this. Its not that they dont know when its going to open, they have a good idea of when.

they just dont want to say a date and be wrong
welll by showing videos of virtually complete stations doesnt help their cause. most people see things at face value and they are saying wtf is this station doing finished and empty.

Here you go guys, Fairbank Station as of October 26, 2023!
Is this considered parking in the bike lane?
1698368786459.png

Is this considered parking in the bike lane?
View attachment 515809
Normally this is infuriating, in this case not as much. I can appreciate Crosslinx adding this to the streetscape design but it’s functionally useless for now. The paint starts right at the front of the black truck and only stretches to Shortt street.

It’s less than 200m of bike lanes, they’re stubs. The city needs to follow up by filling in the rest between stations.

Normally this is infuriating, in this case not as much. I can appreciate Crosslinx adding this to the streetscape design but it’s functionally useless for now. The paint starts right at the front of the black truck and only stretches to Shortt street.

It’s less than 200m of bike lanes, they’re stubs. The city needs to follow up by filling in the rest between stations.
But it always was the city's job.
wasnt the project called complete streets eglinton? They have to wait for crosslinx to finish i guess

But there is no difference at all between subway and underground LRT, as the bulk of Eglinton will be.

So what will you do then? Have separate symbols for the underground and overground sections of the line? That would also not help.
You say it like it is, its an LRT. You don't get to build an LRT, and pretend that its a subway.

You say it like it is, its an LRT. You don't get to build an LRT, and pretend that its a subway.
I think too much emphasis is being placed on the vehicle type in a discussion about signage.

For all intents and purposes, outside of the fact that the interior will have slightly less space than a subway car, the underground section of the Crosstown will behave like a subway. It will be grade separated, underground, and speedy. To those who are not interested in transit, the distinction will be immaterial. Why, then, wouldn't you indicate that it is a subway?

Think of a ride on the Scarborough portion of the line as a ride on the YUS, with its timers and curves precluding any kind of speedy operation throughout most of the inner city. ;)

I think too much emphasis is being placed on the vehicle type in a discussion about signage.

For all intents and purposes, outside of the fact that the interior will have slightly less space than a subway car, the underground section of the Crosstown will behave like a subway. It will be grade separated, underground, and speedy. To those who are not interested in transit, the distinction will be immaterial. Why, then, wouldn't you indicate that it is a subway?

Think of a ride on the Scarborough portion of the line as a ride on the YUS, with its timers and curves precluding any kind of speedy operation throughout most of the inner city. ;)
The Finch West LRT has a single underground station, and beyond that is a simple tramway with frequent stops, which for all intents and purposes is nothing like the existing subway network, and is instead much closer to the existing streetcar network. Even for those not interested in transit, the distinction between LRT and Subway in the context of say, Finch West and the YUS is quite significant. Why, then, wouldn't you indicate it as its own thing?

So its simple to establish the need to have an indicator that separates on street LRTs and Subways, which leaves the question of which Eglinton should be labelled as. And sure, the underground section of the Eglinton Line is fairly similar to a traditional subway, but it still has the tramway surface section, and is technologically far more similar to FW than the YUS, as such labelling it as LRT is not unreasonable.

Its not just FW either, Hurontario will also only have a single underground station (assuming the Brampton Extension won't be tunneled). Are we really going to use the exact same symbol for the YUS and Hurontario, even though they're nothing alike other than they belong in the same vague umbrella of "Rapid Transit"? Maybe we should use the same symbol to label the Viva BRTs since that's also technically Rapid Transit.

The Finch West LRT has a single underground station, and beyond that is a simple tramway with frequent stops, which for all intents and purposes is nothing like the existing subway network, and is instead much closer to the existing streetcar network. Even for those not interested in transit, the distinction between LRT and Subway in the context of say, Finch West and the YUS is quite significant. Why, then, wouldn't you indicate it as its own thing?

So its simple to establish the need to have an indicator that separates on street LRTs and Subways, which leaves the question of which Eglinton should be labelled as. And sure, the underground section of the Eglinton Line is fairly similar to a traditional subway, but it still has the tramway surface section, and is technologically far more similar to FW than the YUS, as such labelling it as LRT is not unreasonable.

Its not just FW either, Hurontario will also only have a single underground station (assuming the Brampton Extension won't be tunneled). Are we really going to use the exact same symbol for the YUS and Hurontario, even though they're nothing alike other than they belong in the same vague umbrella of "Rapid Transit"? Maybe we should use the same symbol to label the Viva BRTs since that's also technically Rapid Transit.
There are 2 underground stations, Finch West and Humber

Its a streetcar line

I think it would have been about the same build time and cost, and we could have used the same rolling stock. Just bore completely underground from end to end.
Which decade do you expect this subway line to open as tunneling will just be finish in the east end now?. Add an extra 50%+ to the total cost to build it if its for 4 car subway train. If its a 6 car train, add and extra 75%+ in place of 50%=.

Back