News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Anyone have an update when the next Eglinton LRT update will be in November? Also will Phil Vester announce the opening date this time?

Are we still looking at December 2024 as per the reports published?
If you think the line will open by the end of the year, not going to happen,

It may open late Q1 2024 to Mid Q2 or later

As noted, there is a board meeting at the end of the moth and we will heard some type of update to announcement at it.

One has to look at various station to see where thing are stating with Yonge to get an idea when the line will open.. When people can walk underground at Yonge like they did in the past, a good sign the line is close to be ready or is ready to see service.

If you think the line will open by the end of the year, not going to happen,

It may open late Q1 2024 to Mid Q2 or later

As noted, there is a board meeting at the end of the moth and we will heard some type of update to announcement at it.

One has to look at various station to see where thing are stating with Yonge to get an idea when the line will open.. When people can walk underground at Yonge like they did in the past, a good sign the line is close to be ready or is ready to see service.
Late Q2 at the absolute earliest. But my money is on Q3 or Q4 realistically.

Is it petty politics to try to figure out who's going to run the line? Seems like a pretty important thing to figure out. What value is there in a completed infrastructure project if it can't be used?

Now, all of that being said... can someone who knows more about economics than me please explain how it is possible that a city where so much of the country's economic activity is generated is having so much money troubles?

Is it petty politics to try to figure out who's going to run the line? Seems like a pretty important thing to figure out. What value is there in a completed infrastructure project if it can't be used?

Now, all of that being said... can someone who knows more about economics than me please explain how it is possible that a city where so much of the country's economic activity is generated is having so much money troubles?
im no economics expert but i too wonder just where the money that is being collected in taxes and for the development fees of a record construction tempo are going to.
im chancing part of it goes to a word that begins with a C and ends with an N with 3 syllables... :rolleyes:

yes it is when the line is their creation via transit city and they agreed a couple years back to run the line. ML was there to facilitate the construction. so they designed their own line and now they cant afford to run it themselves?
not to mention they are also using FWLRT as a bargaining chip threat. if that isnt playing politics i dont know what is....

im no economics expert but i too wonder just where the money that is being collected in taxes and for the development fees of a record construction tempo are going to.
im chancing part of it goes to a word that begins with a C and ends with an N with 3 syllables... :rolleyes:

Like I said above, if you haven't seen the City's Manager's presentation, I recommend it. It answers your question.

I thought, Finch LRT will be cheaper to operate than the bus it replaces. More riders per driver, fewer drivers needed, means lower cost.

Not so sure about Eglinton, underground stations cost more to operate. But even then, ECLRT almost fully replaces the busy Eg East bus #34, and shortens #32, 54, 56, and 100. The shortening affects the central, congested part of Eglinton from Mt Dennis to Don Mills, where the traffic is slow and a lot of buses are getting tied up today. That replacement should at least help with the cost balance, if not turn it outright profitable for the TTC.

I thought, Finch LRT will be cheaper to operate than the bus it replaces. More riders per driver, fewer drivers needed, means lower cost.
As we covered before, it's not so cut-and-dried.

In terms of direct operating costs - fuel, salaries, etc. - yes, LRT is cheaper once a certain ridership threshold is reached.

But if you factor in the indirect operating costs - maintenance being a major one - the metrics change quite a bit, as LRT has way more infrastructure directly attached to it (versus a bus that isn't paying its own way in terms of damage to the road). But it's not necessary completely skewed one way or the other, either.

Not so sure about Eglinton, underground stations cost more to operate. But even then, ECLRT almost fully replaces the busy Eg East bus #34, and shortens #32, 54, 56, and 100. The shortening affects the central, congested part of Eglinton from Mt Dennis to Don Mills, where the traffic is slow and a lot of buses are getting tied up today. That replacement should at least help with the cost balance, if not turn it outright profitable for the TTC.
Again, it's not so cut-and-dried. And maintenance is a big problem of it.

About 10 years ago, the TTC reported that it cost them on average $7mil per route/kilometer of tunnel per year. (This was taking into account the then 60-ish year old tunnels under Yonge St., the considerably newer ones under Sheppard, and before the TYSSE was opened.) That was for just the maintenance of the tunnel and everything inside of it except for the trains - signalling, power distribution, life safety, rails, waterproofing, the works. I'm sure that using that number you can figure out pretty easily what level of ridership needs to be achieved on a yearly basis just to cover that cost - and that's before you take into account staffing, rolling stock maintenance, traction power, etc.

Extrapolate that to Eglinton. Sure, the tunnels are newer, and they're not going to need that $7mil level of maintenance each year for a good, long while. But the level of maintenance that they will need will not be zero.

Dan

Back