News   Jul 30, 2024
 751     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 626     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

e
They can't appreciate that because being completely underground underlines the fact that it is silly that this isn't a subway.

there actually was one couple who wanted to make sure the technology could one day be converted to subway. the ttc design guy kinda avoided the question and was visually frustrated. i dont understand the question either since it would make much more sense to make a lrt on lawrence then to convert the lrt to subway and what would you do about the srt portion with the curves to sharp for lrt.

the one question and complaint i sympathized with was from a group who lived jusg west of eglinton west in the townhouses directly facing eglinton. they wanted to make sure that the vibrations from the subway would not be felt in their property. i saw both karen stinz and joe at seperate times try to let them know there was nothing to worry about. this group was the loudest of the bunch.

The people who support it haven't moved to the neighbourhood yet.

the meeting was suppose to be a design open house for the bathurst station since it was the station furthest along at 10%. truthfully i dont see how too many transit oriented people are going to move in the area. the area is simply to expensive. if anyone can afford to live here they can afford to own a car and usually a pretty good one. instead the transit supporters i suspect will be moving in west of eglinton west with dufferin being the big site for being redeveloped.

just came back from eglinton crosstown meeting at beth shalom synagogue. the place was booming but sadly i think that out of maybe 200 people only maybe 5 supported the line.

I was there too, and I think this is a huge exaggeration! There were a handful of irate people, including the guy who ranted about impending high-rise condos to every official he could find, and there were plenty of people with reasonable concerns and questions, but on the whole I don't think the mood was overly negative. (At least no more than you'd expect from this kind of gathering, which will naturally attract people who have things to get off their chest.) It seemed more supportive than an Eglinton LRT info session that I attended in the same location around 2 years ago.

And anyway, the transit geeks alone must have made up more than 5 supporters! :)

I could see the people who live in the town homes being concerned about feeling vibrations and what damage it may do to their homes, and those wanting the LRT to be built as a full subway because to me LRT would make sense on Lawrence, but I would think for the homeowners around there, they should be happy. Its true business will probably suffer although I have to say when I drive by there, Eglinton looks very dumpy - dollar store like. After the completion of the line I would think the type of business there would improve considerably

I was there too, and I think this is a huge exaggeration! There were a handful of irate people, including the guy who ranted about impending high-rise condos to every official he could find, and there were plenty of people with reasonable concerns and questions, but on the whole I don't think the mood was overly negative. (At least no more than you'd expect from this kind of gathering, which will naturally attract people who have things to get off their chest.) It seemed more supportive than an Eglinton LRT info session that I attended in the same location around 2 years ago.

when it takes joe m more then 30 mins just to get into the main room because a instant line up of complainers are coming to ask him whose responsible for this mess i consider it over the top. also when i notice karen stknz taking about the same amount of time answering similar questions i again think the overall feel is negative. im sure there were silent supporters but when i said to joe in front of a group of people that i didnt mind if they closed the allen, i thought both joe and i were going ti be stoned. repeatedly a man with converse kept saying he was calling his lawyer. another lady with a classic loui votton bag was complakning how life is short and she doesnt even want 5 years of construction let alone 10, and then there was at least 10 or so men whose big deal was how to get onto the allen. id like to note i oberheard slme guy say on his commute home he drives north of eglknton on bathurst, turns behind the donut shop, and then turns lnto eglinton to avoid making a left hand turn. the fact that the donut shop would no longer be there was going to ruin his commute. i have been to many transit meetinga. most meetings are people frustrated things are taking so ling, but jn the end the people wanted transit. these people on the other hqnd didnt want any thkng ti change and didnt care for the lrt at all. eglinton was suppose to stay 2 floor struggling retail forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

when it takes joe m more then 30 mins just to get into the main room because a instant line up of complainers are coming to ask him whose responsible for this mess i consider it over the top. also when i notice karen stknz taking about the same amount of time answering similar questions i again think the overall feel is negative. im sure there were silent supporters but when i said to joe in front of a group of people that i didnt mind if they closed the allen, i thought both joe and i were going ti be stoned. repeatedly a man with converse kept saying he was calling his lawyer. another lady with a classic loui votton bag was complakning how life is short and she doesnt even want 5 years of construction let alone 10, and then there was at least 10 or so men whose big deal was how to get onto the allen. id like to note i oberheard slme guy say on his commute home he drives north of eglknton on bathurst, turns behind the donut shop, and then turns lnto eglinton to avoid making a left hand turn. the fact that the donut shop would no longer be there was going to ruin his commute. i have been to many transit meetinga. most meetings are people frustrated things are taking so ling, but jn the end the people wanted transit. these people on the other hqnd didnt want any thkng ti change and didnt care for the lrt at all. eglinton was suppose to stay 2 floor struggling retail forever.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do. These types of groups exist everywhere, there was one for St. Clair, and another for Sheppard. These people don't want things to change because they like it the way it is. We live in a democracy and everyone is entitled to their own opinions, unfortunately it is these people that politicians pander to when they want to make a point again transit.

All you can do is hope that the majority of people still support the LRT and that this anti-LRT group doesn't get powerful enough to delay things or change it significantly.

As an aside, any idea when details about the station design and any presentation videos or slides will be posted? Thanks.

Sigh ...

These folks complain about the problems the subway construction under Eglinton will cause. I'm sure they'd complain about the construction from surface LRT and the mess that would create when driving. And I bet they complain about the traffic on Eglinton (which will only get worse in the next 10-20 years if nothing is done).

Ironically, when all this is over, the drivers will benefit most, as surely there'll be more people using the subway under Eglinton ... and far less buses on Eglinton to avoid. Though they'll probably complain about all the pedestrians coming out of stations and making it difficult for them to turn the corner in their cars ...

Sigh ...

These folks complain about the problems the subway construction under Eglinton will cause. I'm sure they'd complain about the construction from surface LRT and the mess that would create when driving. And I bet they complain about the traffic on Eglinton (which will only get worse in the next 10-20 years if nothing is done).

Ironically, when all this is over, the drivers will benefit most, as surely there'll be more people using the subway under Eglinton ... and far less buses on Eglinton to avoid. Though they'll probably complain about all the pedestrians coming out of stations and making it difficult for them to turn the corner in their cars ...

This is true on so many levels. People are never happy with anything...

joe m was also talking about the possibility to eliminate the bus terminal at eglinton west. he basically said there were three busses that went into the station, eglintin, marlee, and oakwood. he thought the oakwood and marlee busses could be re routed.

the meeting was suppose to be a design open house for the bathurst station since it was the station furthest along at 10%. truthfully i dont see how too many transit oriented people are going to move in the area. the area is simply to expensive. if anyone can afford to live here they can afford to own a car and usually a pretty good one. instead the transit supporters i suspect will be moving in west of eglinton west with dufferin being the big site for being redeveloped.

Even if no condos get build at Eglinton and Bathurst, the existing houses are going to appreciate 10-20K when the line is built. They will gradually be bought by people willing to pay a premium for good transit, and some of the car folks will gradually sell out and move on. Those people aren't attending a meeting 10 years in advance. (Some of them are teenagers.)

Last edited:
Even if no condos get build at Eglinton and Bathurst, the existing houses are going to appreciate 10-20K when the line is built. They will gradually be bought by people willing to pay a premium for good transit, and some of the car folks will gradually sell out and move on. Those people aren't attending a meeting 10 years in advance. (Some of them are teenagers.)

The average house price is 750k+...........an extra 10-20k is not going to be benefitial to anyone in the area... 100k and maybe theyd be interested.

joe m was also talking about the possibility to eliminate the bus terminal at eglinton west. he basically said there were three busses that went into the station, eglintin, marlee, and oakwood. he thought the oakwood and marlee busses could be re routed.

Is it technically possible to build a condo tower on top of an existing subway station?

Ossington?

the meeting was suppose to be a design open house for the bathurst station since it was the station furthest along at 10%. truthfully i dont see how too many transit oriented people are going to move in the area. the area is simply to expensive. if anyone can afford to live here they can afford to own a car and usually a pretty good one.

1) The area has some rental units, and surprisingly the rent is not very high.

2) Even those who can afford a house and a car, but work downtown, will likely prefer to take transit. Driving in that area during the peak hours is a pain.

the rent might be cheap for some of the apartment units but the majority of the area is detached houses who do prefer to drive. This is not a area full of CHOICE TTC users. Even though it may be a pain the people in the area are generally older (45+) and are car dependant or car oriented. West of Eglinton West things are completely different but east of the station it feels like the people using transit are high school students to young to drive, people who work on eglinton itself or nannys. Again this is completely different then west of the station. The meeting last night was almost exclusively a 40+ crowd and I would say more likely a 50+ crowd. I am 32 and my wife is 24 and we are by far one of the youngest couples in the area in a actual house.

Back