News   May 09, 2024
 460     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 451     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 743     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I think it's inevitable that Eglinton will have to be split into 2 lines with the subway starting at OSC going west and the glorified streetcar going east. They couldn't have been more short sighted on Eglinton if they tried and it's 100% Miller's fault.
Part of the reason why I'll never truly appreciate this LRT project is because there were already plans in place for a subway along the western portion of Eglington back in the 90s. If we had just stayed the course, we would already have a subway along Eglington and probably be discussing an Eastward extension into Scarborough.

Part of the reason why I'll never truly appreciate this LRT project is because there were already plans in place for a subway along the western portion of Eglington back in the 90s. If we had just stayed the course, we would already have a subway along Eglington and probably be discussing an Eastward extension into Scarborough.
Yes, but Ontarians voted in Harris. Unfortunately the past is done.

I could see Eglinton ending up like line 4 in this alternative universe. We would obviously have the Eglinton West subway, and probably an eastern extension to Yonge. But anything east of Yonge would be in limbo as people argue whether it should be LRT or subway (LIne 5's surface section would be impossible with a subway)

I think it's inevitable that Eglinton will have to be split into 2 lines with the subway starting at OSC going west and the glorified streetcar going east. They couldn't have been more short sighted on Eglinton if they tried and it's 100% Miller's fault.
The cheaper solution that makes transit more efficient through Scarborough is to give the LRT railroad like priority at intersections. Similar to railroads they should then do the calculation to see if the risk at each intersection warrants a grade separation.

The cheaper solution that makes transit more efficient through Scarborough is to give the LRT railroad like priority at intersections. Similar to railroads they should then do the calculation to see if the risk at each intersection warrants a grade separation.
so the C-train solution... makes sense...though politically good luck... :rolleyes:

Hypothetical scenario:

Let's say the Eglinton West subway in the 90s went ahead. Do you think the subway would have eventually been extended, first eastbound and then westbound? Or would they have kept the subway as it is, and built LRT on either side?

Hypothetical scenario:

Let's say the Eglinton West subway in the 90s went ahead. Do you think the subway would have eventually been extended, first eastbound and then westbound? Or would they have kept the subway as it is, and built LRT on either side?
NO.... it would be another Line 4... forever a stub line due to political intrigue

Toronto's Drivers Services, I mean Transportation Services, refuses to give priority to the 300+ people possible onboard the light rail vehicles because the politicians and bureaucrats don't want to upset the automobile disciples in charge. The 3 or 4 automobiles carries 1.3 to 1.6 on average need to go first when they make their left turns.

NO.... it would be another Line 4... forever a stub line due to political intrigue

Nah, it's much easier to extend a line than build a new one, so of course it would of had an extension. Line 4 almost had extensions done, even though there are like 20 more important transit priorities in Toronto. The only thing that would have made it a longer wait is the building of the Yonge/Eglinton interchange station, as that is obviously the most expensive part.

Hypothetical scenario:

Chicken and the egg imo. People are right that it would’ve been another stubway, because it would have kicked the can down the road of needing rapid transit along all of Eg by addressing the most pressing need first (bus congestion) just like Sheppard.

In essence, we could not have built a crosstown subway all at once, so we chose to build the full alignment as a mode we could do at once. That stubway would’ve been “good enough” to stave off conversations of extensions however, so we’d end up with less transit by this point in time. I think we would not be discussing extending the Eg West subway with the same urgency we seem to address the probable capacity issues with the LRT given how Sheppard was/is “good enough” as well- the downside is that it means there wouldn’t be a crosstown line at all, hence why we chose to go all-in on a questionable mode.

Eglinton Station:

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 4.10.07 PM.png

Salvation Army building:
Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 4.10.33 PM.png

Source: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/...Eglinton_-_Mt_Pleasant_CLC_-_July_12_2023.pdf

The crosstown website has (finally) been relaunched. Now under Metrolinx's website:

Construction notices can be found under "Get Involved" -> "Community Notices"

Love this bit they haven't bothered to revise on the page:

Kennedy Station​

The station will include connections to:
  • the GO Transit Stouffville Line,
  • the TTC Scarborough RT,

Back