News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The Crosstown account seems to be putting out more pictures lately. They just posted this one: "looking out of the excavation happening under the intersection for Science Centre Station. Crews reached a depth of 17 metres last week".

I remember asking someone awhile ago for the reason why this station on the surface portion is underground and I believe I was told it was due to the grades and for a future Relief Line integration. Is my memory correct?

View attachment 172547

I think it has less to do with the future DRL and more to do with Don Mills & Eglinton being one of the busier intersections in the City. It is far busier than Vic Park, Pharmacy or Warden (other candidates for a tunnel). If the Crosstown were at street level in this intersection there would be a huge impact on left-hand turns for East West traffic and signal prioritization would disrupt North-South traffic.

The Crosstown account seems to be putting out more pictures lately. They just posted this one: "looking out of the excavation happening under the intersection for Science Centre Station. Crews reached a depth of 17 metres last week".

I remember asking someone awhile ago for the reason why this station on the surface portion is underground and I believe I was told it was due to the grades and for a future Relief Line integration. Is my memory correct?

View attachment 172547

I would just love to dump or bulldoze all that snow that fell on Eglinton Avenue and the sidestreets into that hole, and let it melt.

I've got a question - On Crosslinx Transit Solution's site, they say (and have shown in their renderings that were 90% through the design phase) that they were putting the western entrance to Mount Pleasant station in the heritage building that was a Second Cup for a while. But passing through the intersection last week i noticed that the entire site was demolished. Does anybody know what happened to the heritage retention plan? It was a really nice plan!

Here's the site in question: http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/mount-pleasant-station

IMG_0623.png

Saw this while scrolling through instagram yesterday, why are they paying for ads? they do not need support to start construction or anything.....I do not understand.

As far as I know council can simply direct staff to implement transit priority. That's not to say that they will of course.

Eglinton and the other Transit City lines really should have been designed like Vancouver's SkyTrain or Ottawa's Confederation Line (complete grade separation) or Edmonton/Calgary LRT (mostly at grade with complete signal priority). So called rapid transit shouldn't have to stop at red lights.

I was very miffed about Tory not forcing the Toronto Transportation Services in enabling transit priority on Spadina and St.Clair etc. His whol mandate was about "small changes to help Torontonaians get around", such as ticketing blitzes, those "no turn left" bright signs, special new intelligent traffic lights being rolled out, traffic cops at major intersections, etc.

Well, heres a simple fix for ya, and he doesn't do it, probably because it goes against a large "pro car" voter base he scooped up from when Rob Ford got sick.

I've got a question - On Crosslinx Transit Solution's site, they say (and have shown in their renderings that were 90% through the design phase) that they were putting the western entrance to Mount Pleasant station in the heritage building that was a Second Cup for a while. But passing through the intersection last week i noticed that the entire site was demolished. Does anybody know what happened to the heritage retention plan? It was a really nice plan!

Here's the site in question: http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/mount-pleasant-station

They likely carefully dismantled the building (or at least parts of it), for reassembly at a later date. Pretty common technique nowadays

I was very miffed about Tory not forcing the Toronto Transportation Services in enabling transit priority on Spadina and St.Clair etc. His whol mandate was about "small changes to help Torontonaians get around", such as ticketing blitzes, those "no turn left" bright signs, special new intelligent traffic lights being rolled out, traffic cops at major intersections, etc.

Well, heres a simple fix for ya, and he doesn't do it, probably because it goes against a large "pro car" voter base he scooped up from when Rob Ford got sick.
It's John Tory we're talking about, he's all about the status quo. Ticketing blitzes, new "smart" traffic lights, and traffic cops are just temporary/minor improvements which really dont cause much waves and cause controversy (which Tory is clearly averse too). The minute transit priority is enabled, a few people will start complaining about it and Tory would chicken out of the idea altogether.

That's exactly why (partly related) I expect the King Streetcar pilot wont be made permanent.

View attachment 172707

Saw this while scrolling through instagram yesterday, why are they paying for ads? they do not need support to start construction or anything.....I do not understand.
Also Joanna Kervin, the new Crosslinx Solutions Technical Director is very active on social media with the project, just like she was when she headed the Line 1 extension in 2017. She has a great interview on ULI's podcast "Electric Cities" that I would highly recommend listening to!

Back