1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

These are streets best used to bypass the Bayview-Eglinton intersection:

Broadway
Sutherland
Soudan

These are streets best used to bypass the Eglinton-Allen interchange and the Bathurst-Eglinton intersection:

Marlee
Roselawn/Elm Ridge or Old Forest Hill (thanks to the bridge over Bathurst)
Chaplin
Vaughan/Claxton/Burton/Kilbarry

You might want to head to Spadina or St. Clair
I cannot understand the difference between the 2. Besides track gauge, they are virtually identical.

I personally call Spadina, Waterfront, and St. Clair "streetcars with dedicated RoWs" - it is the short stop spacing and lack of traffic priority that makes me resist calling them true LRTs. These factors really put Line 5 and Line 6 on another level.

Fingers crossed that Eglinton gets properly operating signal priority - frankly that will be the only distinction.

And so, if they don't have signal priority, it is just a streetcar line with a different gauge track and cars?

I personally call Spadina, Waterfront, and St. Clair "streetcars with dedicated RoWs" - it is the short stop spacing and lack of traffic priority that makes me resist calling them true LRTs. These factors really put Line 5 and Line 6 on another level.

I assume your R in LRT is Rapid rather than Rail?

That's a fair interpretation, particularly considering the sister BRT acronym, but doesn't match the lines covered by the much much older R as Rail definition which covers damn near everything a Canadian Light Rail Vehicle (CLRV) might be able to run on.

IMO, we ought to start clarifying our "R"s when using LRT on this forum to prevent a ton of unnecessary "it-is"/"it-isn't" back and forth as we're thinking of 2 different things for the same acronym.

Last edited:

Back