News   Jul 15, 2024
 743     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 897     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 631     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I suspect they want stations at those two locations, because those are two of a handful of locations along the route with potential for high density redevelopment.

Let's hope so. I'd like to see density-driven stops along the Eglinton West route. If a particular mid-block stop is expected to generate substantial ridership, then it should be retained.

Mid-block stops with low ridership should be eliminated. That won't save lots of time, and won't have much effect on the reliability, but it will boost the line's profile and make it more appealing for trips to the Pearson South employment cluster.

It looks like a parallel local bus servive will be required anyway, because of the wide station spacing in the tunneled section. If so, then the same bus can be extended to the western section.

Let's hope so. I'd like to see density-driven stops along the Eglinton West route. If a particular mid-block stop is expected to generate substantial ridership, then it should be retained.

Mid-block stops with low ridership should be eliminated. That won't save lots of time, and won't have much effect on the reliability, but it will boost the line's profile and make it more appealing for trips to the Pearson South employment cluster.

It looks like a parallel local bus servive will be required anyway, because of the wide station spacing in the tunneled section. If so, then the same bus can be extended to the western section.

If a bus service is going to be retained regardless, then it's wasteful duplication of service to have midblock LRT stops at all. I'd rather the money being invested towards such inconveniences for long haul commuters go towards more grade separation of the line as possible.

If a bus service is going to be retained regardless, then it's wasteful duplication of service to have midblock LRT stops at all. I'd rather the money being invested towards such inconveniences for long haul commuters go towards more grade separation of the line as possible.

Say that again, deary? I have trouble walking far.

old-lady-with-a-walker-vector-id93824800

There are seniors residences located presently in some of the mid-blocks. More to come in the years to come.

The ridership for seniors residences isn't the seniors..... it's the staff. Who are there 24/7, predominantly female, and not highly paid.... a sensitive target group for transit.

As for local transportation, those particular suburbs are not at all dense and with winding roads. might be ripe for some sort of minibus.

- Paul

I'm not sure what the TTC subway has to do with anything; the post you're responding to clearly mentions a grade separated transit system that has lower operating costs than the Eglinton LRT projections. Just over half of what it costs to maintain a subway tunnel apparently. Grade separatio doesn't necessarily mean subway and if those numbers are accurate, it doesn't necessarily mean higher maintenance costs either.

What they are building under Eglinton is a subway. The vehicles may not be subway vehicles, but every single bit of the infrastructure is subway-quality.

And that means that the costs, therefore, are subway-quality as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The TTC has said that it costs, on average, $7mil per year to maintain one route-km of subway tunnel. That covers the running rails, third rail and power supply, signalling, lighting, ventilation, etc., and the cost of doing so in a very limited window of opportunity and physical space.

Do you have a source for this? None of the TTC budgets I can find break down operating/maintenance costs by mode.

Also, that's not the kind of grade separation that I had in mind. With the wide setbacks, back-to-the-street current urban form, and all the redevelopment potential, it would make much more sense to elevate it and have new development integrate with the elevated LRT.

And even if you were to build it in a tunnel instead of elevated, you would get to trade off the additional maintenance cost of 6.5 km of tunnel on Eglinton east against the additional maintenance cost of 6.3 km of tunnel on McCowan ;)

Last edited:
What they are building under Eglinton is a subway. The vehicles may not be subway vehicles, but every single bit of the infrastructure is subway-quality.

And that means that the costs, therefore, are subway-quality as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
But we're not talking about the tunnel, we're talking about grade separating other sections of the line, possibly elevated. The maintenance costs of an elevated system like the SkyTrain are more relevant than the subway in that case.

The ridership for seniors residences isn't the seniors..... it's the staff. Who are there 24/7, predominantly female, and not highly paid.... a sensitive target group for transit.

As for local transportation, those particular suburbs are not at all dense and with winding roads. might be ripe for some sort of minibus.

- Paul

There are hundreds of businesses that employ low-earning females. Why do senior home employees receive a preferential benefit to ones working in light industrial zones? Feels like the Sunday Stop debate all over again.

edit: I believe it should be the employer that finds a last mile solution.

There are hundreds of businesses that employ low-earning females. Why do senior home employees receive a preferential benefit to ones working in light industrial zones? Feels like the Sunday Stop debate all over again.

edit: I believe it should be the employer that finds a last mile solution.

I'm not fuelling an old debate. My point is - in a system where weight is given to sensitive populations, seniors' residences may get a few extra points in the scoring system. Seniors' homes only employ bus-level numbers of workers, so it's not justification for an LRT. But it could be material for a consideration for a particular stop.

- Paul

But we're not talking about the tunnel, we're talking about grade separating other sections of the line, possibly elevated. The maintenance costs of an elevated system like the SkyTrain are more relevant than the subway in that case.

Those costs don't go away just because the line is elevated. That structure still needs to be inspected and maintained. Maybe they don't need a signalling system anymore - but if you want to automate it, it's going to need it, and all of the costs associated with it. Life-safety systems can be simplified, but they still need to exist. And the ongoing maintenance of the other systems becomes more complex as more specialized equipment is needed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back