News   Jul 15, 2024
 751     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 907     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I'm eagerly awaiting the public meeting to see how good or bad the proposals are. But either way - this consultation is one of the most expeditious turnaround of a Council direction on the transit file that I can think of. It actually feels like there may be answers to last year's questions, and a path forward.

Lest I sound too optimistic, one should remember - the west end extension is part of the Smarttrack file, not part of the ML Crosstown file. It's all on the City council, which may be good or bad. To the good, our mayor will be hungry for forward momentum on this before the next election, so he can show that he is delivering on Smarttrack. That may temper the reluctance of some of the Etobicoke councillors, who have gone on record that this project really isn't a priority for Etobicoke.

But then, we may not like the solutions proposed. Wait and see, I guess.

- Paul

1. If you want to go faster, one would more likely use the Union Pearson Express than any LRT.

2. They seemed to have removed the mid-block stops between Renforth & Martin Grove, between Islington & Royal York, and between Scarlett Road & Jane.

The meetings are to get public input. So if you want to make suggestions, go to the meetings or make your comments at this link or...

I'd still remove the stations between the major intersections.

Great to see they want to grade separate all major intersections though! Hope it happens. Then people will see how a proper LRT functions in Toronto.

Is there any indication whether the LRT would have complete priority at the non-grade separated intersections? Like how they do it in Calgary for example, or the at-grade crossings on the Chicago El. If this is done the Eglinton West extension could actually be considered real rapid transit, which is a term I wouldn't use to describe any other Transit City surface line.

Is there any indication whether the LRT would have complete priority at the non-grade separated intersections? Like how they do it in Calgary for example, or the at-grade crossings on the Chicago El. If this is done the Eglinton West extension could actually be considered real rapid transit, which is a term I wouldn't use to describe any other Transit City surface line.

It's the intention. I'm more optimistic for Eglinton West but I don't buy it one second east of Don Mills. The city have a poor track record of making that happen

It's the intention. I'm more optimistic for Eglinton West but I don't buy it one second east of Don Mills. The city have a poor track record of making that happen

East of Laird, really. Don't forget the Leslie/Eglinton blunder. A T-intersection to boot with lots of vacant land available for a side-of-roadway alignment and proper station integrated with even a potential future GO connection and yet somehow they managed to screw it up.

The meetings are to get public input. So if you want to make suggestions, go to the meetings or make your comments at this link or...

I think I will make a suggestion.

Maybe after I get a reply to my 2012 suggestion that Eglinton be placed on the south side at Leslie.

I think I will make a suggestion.

Maybe after I get a reply to my 2012 suggestion that Eglinton be placed on the south side at Leslie.

The NIMBYs (or rather YIMBY) demanded a stop at Leslie (Sunnybrook Park), where there was nothing in the EA. However, they didn't demand the location. Only a few individuals requested a south side location, but were told that a stop will be at Leslie as "requested".

One car crash at the Leslie Intersection will hold up the Crosstown Line.

Very misfortunate planning for rapid transit.

So would a one-car crash at Victoria Park, Warden, Birchmount, and any other number of north-south streets that intersect Eglinton. What's your point?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For reference, see costs for the Line 2 extension from Kennedy to Scarborough Town Centre as an example. See link.

If anything, that should be an off-setting cost against grade-separating Eglinton east. Spending a little extra to elevate Eglinton east would have prevented the $3.5 billion one-stop 6.3 km subway.

So would a one-car crash at Victoria Park, Warden, Birchmount, and any other number of north-south streets that intersect Eglinton. What's your point?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That kind of reinforces his point.

To me, though, it's not so much the potential for the occasional crash on that stretch of Eglinton (which would happen, what, 5 days a year?) It's the fact that the thing emerges from a 10 km tunnel just to have to stop at every red light.

That kind of reinforces his point.

To me, though, it's not so much the potential for the occasional crash on that stretch of Eglinton (which would happen, what, 5 days a year?) It's the fact that the thing emerges from a 10 km tunnel just to have to stop at every red light.

So you want to double the price of the line, and more than double the ongoing maintenance costs, just to avoid some traffic?

Why not double-down on that theory, and just replace all of the buses with subways, too? That would get the service away from the traffic.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back