News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

When the milestone of tracks being laid is reached they'll probably have no LRVs to test them on.

if it gets to that point I think Metrolink would be shopping around for a new manufacturer to build them. Given the fact that Bombardier has said they will dedicate their plant in Kingston to just assembling all of the Flexity Freedoms I don't think we have a chance of it happening.

When the milestone of tracks being laid is reached they'll probably have no LRVs to test them on.

The following was posted by Chris Drew on Twitter:

Cp8GPtuWEAANzU5.jpg:large

Cp8eGMaWAAAjjEa.jpg:large

i believe its because they are spreading out their bills versus paying for everything at once which is what we all would like
but you would think with an election looming in 2 years they would have sped things up so people would be focused on that instead of all the Liberal mismanagement

Think of how complex a station like Yonge/Eg will be to engineer (and value engineer) to ensure that the PA is met, MX, TTC, City, etc are all happy. Can't be done overnight.
but again the other stations could have started. How will Liberals feel if they are unelected this time and crosstown is opened later with the PC in power?

Mount Dennis Building Move and Community BBQ

August 25, 2016
Join Metrolinx and its constructor, Crosslinx Transit Solutions, to witness the relocation of the building at 3500 Eglinton Avenue West, the former Kodak building, on August 25, 2016. The building will be preserved and will become one of the three entrances for the future Mount Dennis Station. Moving the building is an early milestone in the progress of the Mount Dennis Station construction, and at 3,000 tonnes, it presents an unique and complex engineering challenge.

Attendees are also invited to join us for a community BBQ following the completion of the building relocation.

Event details:

• Thursday, August 25, 2016
  • 9:00 a.m - Building move commences (takes approximately 1.5 hours). Public viewing seating will be available on-site.
  • 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - Community BBQ
  • 25 Photography Drive, Ross' No Frills parking lot. Accessible shuttle buses will be available to and from the site every 30 minutes between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.

What a time to be alive. There's a subway on Eglinton. I can hardly believe there's a subway on Eglinton. Pinch me.
At least thats what they think has happened.... we'll have to wait until the extraction shaft is dug out to be sure....
it would be pretty ironic/disastrous if they actually missed the mark.

Also that photo is pretty deceiving to the untrained eye....thats the launch shaft back from last fall.

Is there going to be any mechanical equipment inside the station buildings? Why does it have to be so large??

Looking at the sheer volume and space those entrance ways occupy, I can't help but wonder if Metrolinx/TTC has missed an opportunity to sell the air rights? Those would be nice spots to fit in an office tower or condo.

Now you've gone and jinxed it. The province will elect a conservative premier who will "save money" and fill it in.

While still paying the $3B (or whatever) on the station contracts? Wonderful thing about PPP is it's damn hard to cancel once the contract is signed; gas plants made that very clear.

It's really hard to cancel the central section at this time.

Last edited:
There is a lot of work required to pour the concrete base for the track bed, so there is a flat floor in the (currently round) tunnel. Plus all the utilities, cabling, lighting, drainage, etc etc. There must be a fair bit of grouting required too, I don't know when that is done.

I recall from the TYSSE that Youtube videos of the "actual" TBM breakthroughs surfaced well before any official photo-op breakthroughs happened. It's apparently commpn industry practice to seal up the end of the newly-finished tunnel end and stage a second 'breakthrough' for photo op purposes. Since the TBM crew will demobilise shortly, I bet lots of workers recorded the final breakthrough for their personal memories. There's not much ML can do to suppress the news that the TBM's are done....ML may have chosen to 'go with the flow' as word would leak out anyways.

Or - Maybe that's what the extra time in the schedule from now to late 2017 is for.....a never ending series of photo ops before the tunnel is handed back to the contractor to let work continue.

After watching the completion video,I see the tunnel lined all the way with no breaks for stations all the way.So when they dig down to tunnel level to build a station platform,I take it that they remove the tiles necessary to make the underground station that will be at least as long as the LRT train?

Back