News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.2K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Its possible because the ring is a universal design, all with a slight taper. if you want a straight section, you oppose the tapers from one ring to the next. You build up the tapers to achieve a particular curve in any direction (up, down, side). At least I think it was a universal ring design.

That's precisely the case. There are 7 individual sections which are bolted together to make up a ring, and something like 17 different permutations in terms of how they can be arranged to allow them to run straight or various curves.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just posted on twitter:

Inside the former Kodak Building 9, refurbishment is set to begin #CrosstownLRT

Note the nice graffiti on the right wall. I can't believe they posted this photo on twitter.

DpJmWQyWkAAmg-f.jpg

Just posted on twitter:

Note the nice graffiti on the right wall. I can't believe they posted this photo on twitter.

DpJmWQyWkAAmg-f.jpg

Wonder what's behind the insulation, drywall, or paint of many formerly rundown buildings?

Did you know that when the TTC purchased 48 used PCC streetcars from Birmingham Transit Company (4700-4747 [class A-13]) by 1953, the TTC had to get rid of or paint over the segregated sections. See link.

For opening day, they really should get a PCC and a CLRV on the line. Then the mural at Eglinton/Yonge will make sense.

For opening day, they really should get a PCC and a CLRV on the line. Then the mural at Eglinton/Yonge will make sense.

That mural was originally designed for Dundas Station I believe but was transplanted to Eglinton West which was opening around the time the murals were being completed. It was supposed to match the ones at Queen and College before being relocated.

Metrolinx and TTC are REALLY trying everything they can do to show that LRTs are NOT streetcars. So this would be an epic fail in terms of framing public opinion, optics, marketing, etc.

Is there really much of a difference?
Only in the perception of the punters. The key difference being that you can't drive your car along the streetcar tracks on Eglinton East, and it's exclusively grade-separated on Eglinton West (heck, and almost all of Eglinton East west of Aga Khan Park).

Other than that oddball crossing at Leslie, there's only 5.5 km of the 19 km line from the portal near Aga Khan Park to the portal at Ionview that's conventional at-grade mid-street LRT. And maybe an entrance to the old IBM facility at Science Centre station - I'm not sure what the final design there is (I'd hope they'd move the entrance east of the portal - but that would make too much sense ...)

Last edited:

Back