News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.2K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 667     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Is that a true track connection, or just a spur into the EMF with a ramp (similar to Hillcrest)? I presume that the LRT vehicles will arrive on flatcar, not on their own wheels? Or are we delivering boxcar loads to Leaside?

- Paul

Is that a true track connection, or just a spur into the EMF with a ramp (similar to Hillcrest)? I presume that the LRT vehicles will arrive on flatcar, not on their own wheels? Or are we delivering boxcar loads to Leaside?

- Paul

I assume that it is a true track connection, and that the process to unload will be a similar to that of the ION LRT. See video below that @KevinT previously posted in the ION thread.

I assume that it is a true track connection, and that the process to unload will be a similar to that of the ION LRT. See video below that @KevinT previously posted in the ION thread.

Thanks for the reference. Given the volume of cars the Crosstown's EMSF will receive versus Waterloo's system though, and the busy-ness of the line it's connected to, I think they'd be better off (and safer!) doing it Hillcrest style with a fixed earth and concrete ramp.

None - once they dig far enough down to expose them, they just smash into them and toss 'em
So they dig from the surface down to remove the tunnel the TBM made? I thought these were removed from underground within the tunnel or mined from next to the tunnels.

I general understand the process, but I was just wondering about the removal of the TBM tunnel segments specifically.

Well you don't actually need a precast tunnel inside a station box, so yeah they dig down and around and dispose of the section where the platforms will be. Same thing for a mined station as well

So they dig from the surface down to remove the tunnel the TBM made? I thought these were removed from underground within the tunnel or mined from next to the tunnels.

That's what they did for the Canada Line in Vnacouver.
Here are a couple of old pics from Vancouver City Centre Station.

The first time through the station site, the TBM laid tunnel to push off of,
the second time, the station was already built up, so they built a steel frame
for the TBM to push off of without laying tunnel segments.

mr.x;12563789 said:
410829743_bc0c610775_b.jpg
mr.x;13069968 said:
Vancouver City Centre Station opening

KICX6015.jpg

But the second time the TBM went through the station, the station had been partially built, so they used a steel frame for the TBM to push off of:

officedweller;17771403 said:
The TBM has started boring again at Vancouver City Centre Station. They have built a steel frame (square, black) off of which the TBM "pushes" in order to get the pressure to grind against the leading edge. You will recall that when the TBM went through the last time, they laid a tunnel tube the whole length of the station. That probably wasn't possible this time given the station superstructure around it. You can see the framework being built in this Tafryn pic (the concrete collars have now been inserted from the steel frame to the station wall).

KICX5710.jpg

Last edited:
I general understand the process, but I was just wondering about the removal of the TBM tunnel segments specifically.
There is a headwall perpendicular to the direction of the TBM. If you have plenty of space, there could be side slope beyond this headwall, but generally it also has wall parallel to the direction of TBM to retain slopes. As the TBM enters this space beyond the headwall, it can be removed. The entire TBM does not have be be out - as soon as 1 segment of the TBM pokes through the headwall, it can be removed. This means the TBM extraction site does not have to be huge.

ML went with this approach back in 2010 to save some money. They contracted out tunneling separating before Crosslinx build the stations.

You realized if they were dismantle from instead the tunnel, the tunnel would be in jeopardy of collapsing. For mining to be completed safely (as shown in the video), they need to install a pipe roof on top of the section before they removed the tunnel liners under it. Thus it cannot be done initially from inside the tunnel.

As I recall, way back, there was an early batch of tunnel segments that didn't meet the specs for whatever reason. The idea at the time was to use them at the station locations, knowing they'd be sacrificed later. Smart move if that's what actually happened. Its possible because the ring is a universal design, all with a slight taper. if you want a straight section, you oppose the tapers from one ring to the next. You build up the tapers to achieve a particular curve in any direction (up, down, side). At least I think it was a universal ring design.

Back