News   Jul 12, 2024
 965     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 841     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Id like tc with a few tweeks like the sheppard transfer. Then electrify the richmond hill, the barrie, and the brampton line. By the way switch the richmond hill line with the cn line so there can be a easier access station at leslie and eglinton. Make all these lines 15 mins apart and add stations where ever each line connects with eglinton bloor or danforth. Then make the GO a added dollar if you have a metropass. That should make both a local and regional network.

Why would you do almost every line BUT the Lakeshore line (aka the one with by far the highest ridership)?

I do agree with switching to using the CP line for part of the Richmond Hill line, and for placing new GO stations at strategic locations within Toronto.

i guess i was looking at it from a toronto perspective. i thought the electrification could mean extra service and with a few extra stations GO could help toronto faster then a DRL. plus it would make the lines more cost effective for all day service. a DRL would be great but GO ciuld help in the interm.

electirfying all lines shiuld be a priority. however toronto should get some extra stations as well.

i guess i was looking at it from a toronto perspective. i thought the electrification could mean extra service and with a few extra stations GO could help toronto faster then a DRL. plus it would make the lines more cost effective for all day service. a DRL would be great but GO ciuld help in the interm.

electirfying all lines shiuld be a priority. however toronto should get some extra stations as well.

Absolutely any electrification should include additional stations. With electrification the acceleration and decceleration of the vehicles is much faster, which allows you to place stops closer together. Infill stations could include:

Lakeshore: Roncesvalles, City Place (Spadina/Rogers Centre), Cherry, Queen/Dundas
Milton-Stouffville (I see them as being 1 through-line): Jane, Liberty Village, City Place, Cherry
Georgetown-Richmond Hill: Eglinton-Black Creek, St. Clair West, Liberty, City Place, Cherry, Milwood, Eglinton East, York Mills, Leslie-Sheppard (relocated Oriole)
Barrie: Wilson, Eglinton, Dupont, Liberty, City Place

I think you have added too many GO stations but overall I agree. Exhibition there should be a stop for tho since a few lines pass it.

I was simply showing that barriers to accessibility can pop up anywhere. I was trying to rebuttle the implication that we shouldn't build underground stations because the elevators might break down.

I do not think he was saying not to build underground stations, but that barriers to accessiblity are more likely to pop at underground stations, which is true. More mechanisms to break down(elevator, escalator) in an underground station compared to a surface stop.

Read a new article in The Star and I nearly fainted.
Seems that the tiny 6km renewal of the SRT is going to cost a whopping $1.2 billion. I was thinking more along the lines of $100 million tops. How in hell can Vancouver build a brand new 11 km SkyTrain line {including a one km tunnel} in 3 years for $1.4 billion and it will take $1.2 billion just to put in new treack and overhead lines. The ROW is already there as are the most expensive cost, the stations. Also how in hell does it take 3 years to put down new track? ULTRA-low wage Calgary is building it's new 8km West LRT for $800 million in 3 years which includes an underground station and a large elevated section.
Things like this make me think no money should be given to Toronto for transit expansion until they bring their costs down to earth.

Enough with the absolutely other the top hysteria here.

$100 million?? How would you even pay for the new vehicles for $100 million?

The elevated structure is already about 30-years old, and will be almost 40 by the time the LRT opens. The lifespan of such structures is about 30-40 years, so presumably there will be some big-time maintenance at the same time.

And you think that you could buy the vehicles, rebuild the entire thing, expand all the stations, and build the new underground station at Kennedy for $100 million? Really? No one is that naive ... your trolling us.

If such stuff brings you to such a dangerous medical condition, perhaps you should not be here. But my money is that you are actually not telling the truth about your medical crisis.

Last edited:
I think you have added too many GO stations but overall I agree. Exhibition there should be a stop for tho since a few lines pass it.

I don't think there is too many. Look at the S-Bahn in Berlin. Through most of downtown Berlin and the immediate surrounding area the stations are around 1.5km apart. Many of the stop spacings that I'm proposing are just as much as that, if not more.

It's only in the suburban areas that you need 3+km stop spacing in order to have an effective line. The closer you get to downtown, the more accessibility becomes important, so the closer you need the stops to be together.

Absolutely any electrification should include additional stations. With electrification the acceleration and decceleration of the vehicles is much faster, which allows you to place stops closer together. Infill stations could include:

Lakeshore: Roncesvalles, City Place (Spadina/Rogers Centre), Cherry, Queen/Dundas
Milton-Stouffville (I see them as being 1 through-line): Jane, Liberty Village, City Place, Cherry
Georgetown-Richmond Hill: Eglinton-Black Creek, St. Clair West, Liberty, City Place, Cherry, Milwood, Eglinton East, York Mills, Leslie-Sheppard (relocated Oriole)
Barrie: Wilson, Eglinton, Dupont, Liberty, City Place

You forgot a key station on the Lakeshore Line: Park Lawn/Humber Bay. That area with downtown densities needs higher order transit pronto.

I guess my objection to so many stops is mostly because I think the 905 would freak out resulting in NOTHING getting built in TORONTO. Toronto has gotten scraps where GO is concerned and although it justifiably needs more stops, I would hate any proposal be so big that in the end nothing gets built.

I wasn't including the trains but 50 new trains is only $150,000,000.
Why aren't they just upgrading the SRT to handle the MK11......they wouldn't have to shut down the tracks very long and the maintneance /garage/control centre is already there.
And how in hell does it take 3 years?

I wasn't including the trains but 50 new trains is only $150,000,000.
Why aren't they just upgrading the SRT to handle the MK11......they wouldn't have to shut down the tracks very long and the maintneance /garage/control centre is already there.
And how in hell does it take 3 years?

They are rebuilding the entire trackbed, rebuilding the tunnel that goes under the GO line, rebuilding all of the stations to handle larger trains, and doing a serious rearrangement at Kennedy.

I guess my objection to so many stops is mostly because I think the 905 would freak out resulting in NOTHING getting built in TORONTO. Toronto has gotten scraps where GO is concerned and although it justifiably needs more stops, I would hate any proposal be so big that in the end nothing gets built.

I don't think the 905 would freak out over a few extra stops in Toronto, especially if they're located at places where they intersect rapid transit lines. I think that most 905ers would look no further than "5 minute peak service, 15 minute off peak", and that would sell them on it. Adding a few extra stops adds a couple minutes to the trip time, if that.

They are rebuilding the entire trackbed, rebuilding the tunnel that goes under the GO line, rebuilding all of the stations to handle larger trains, and doing a serious rearrangement at Kennedy.

Do they really have to rip out the entire track bed and then rebuild it again? I understand the approach to the stations need to be redone because it is low-floor LRT but the entire line really? Its all standard guage...

I would think all that's necessary is...

* rebuild track near stations
* lengthen platforms of each station
* remove everything else from the track except the track itself (ALRT equipment)
* insert pantograph poles
* rebuild Kennedy station
* rebuild tunnel under Stoufville Line

Does that take 3 YEARS to do? Really?

I think Metrolinx is just finding excuses to blow through extra funds with this one because ripping out the entire length and re-doing it sounds like pure waste.

Back