News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So lets get this straight. Because planners decided to 'not prefer' grade seperation at intersections, we are going to cave to political will and have a fully tunneled LRT line in Etobicoke.
Probably,
That's what happened in Scarborough. Planners went with a somewhat cheaper alternative that was despised by the people.
Instead of spending a bit extra to grade-separate, they held firm.
Then the whole thing collapsed and very expensive tunneling was the result.

what a farce. They are going to stick these things at grade because taking an elevator or reading a freaking sign is too difficult for people apparently. Ridiculous. I filled out the survey disputing everything that is in it.

I hope hell is raised at public meetings and in the media. People shouldn’t roll over and accept this.

What is with city planning lately? First the waterfront funicular, now this.

It started at the end of Kessmaats tenure, and is seemingly continuing. If anyone knows, I’d love to hear it.

I feel like I'm the only one who wants to see this built and the extra money be spent towards the drl. I was expecting hostility from Hoskins, burloak but am surprised how many others wanted grade separation. This is not a perfect plan, the excuses maybe bs but that doesn't change the fact this is a financially prudent plan which still makes eglinton faster,more dependable, more comfortable than the current bus. Are we really going to fight this so much that nothing gets built here?

I feel like I'm the only one who wants to see this built and the extra money be spent towards the drl. I was expecting hostility from Hoskins, burloak but am surprised how many others wanted grade separation. This is not a perfect plan, the excuses maybe bs but that doesn't change the fact this is a financially prudent plan which still makes eglinton faster,more dependable, more comfortable than the current bus. Are we really going to fight this so much that nothing gets built here?
Yah, I am not going to oppose 100% tunneling here if it comes to it. I will lament the lack of consideration of other options.

If UT held a weekly meeting, we would come up with better than City Planning. :p

I have absolutely nothing wrong with no grade separation (or anything else that might be proposed), as long as it is properly justified. Unfortunately, City Planning seems to be going out of their way to make the benefits and risks of each option very opaque, which is setting off alarm bells. They're providing bs reasons for why non-grade separation is better (eg, easier wayfinding), and have failed to provide basic information about travel time impacts (information they have, but have seemingly elected not to share). Now I want to now why they're hiding these details from the public. We don't have enough information to make an informed decision.

Those are tendered requirements. We could get Toronto Rocket model capable of an 11% grade if we wanted. Of course, that may cause customer discomfort at full speed down the hill (ear popping).
11% is a pretty steep grade for a rail vehicle to get up most don't go into the double digits unless they have something like a cog track or rack and pinion system to assist it as well.

Well if we fight here then I will no longer think it is just scarborough that is entitled and I will fully expect finch to protest their design. Tunnels for everyone.

I maintain that the drl, which I will never use in contrast to eglinton which I will use, is the only line which needs tunneling

Perhaps at grade is justified simply because this is all the money they can spend on eglinton when they need to spend so much on the drl. Saying we have no money for tunnels here but we do elsewhere may be political suicide so we get a number of bs excuses in the end. What matters most is that the crosstown reaches the west end of the city.

Well if we fight here then I will no longer think it is just scarborough that is entitled and I will fully expect finch to protest their design. Tunnels for everyone.

I maintain that the drl, which I will never use in contrast to eglinton which I will use, is the only line which needs tunneling

Nobody here is saying this stretch of Eglinton is entitled to a subway/grade separation. People are questioning the lack of information, and the spin coming from CP.

Back