News   Jun 07, 2024
 911     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.2K     6 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Actually, the Jane LRT is explicitly in the plan presented by the city last year in the 15 year timeframe. So it is officially in the next wave after ECLT and FWLRT.

I doubt that the Don Mills LRT will ever see the light of day too. I think that the Relief Line is a much better idea and very likely to happen. Afterall, it has $150M of actual committed funding to finish it to shovel-ready.

Jane may be on the map, but I'd be shocked if there's ever any political action taken on it. Politicians don't very much care about City Plannings priorities.

I'm resonably certain that Crosstown West and East and Relief Line Short will be built. I'm quite optimistic that the Relief Line Long extension will materialize in the near future. Everything else is up in the air, in my opinion.

It'll be the longest rapid transit line in Canada, and among the longest in North America when completed. Los Angeles' Gold Line will be a little bit longer. I presume NYC might have longer lines, but they way they've set up services vs lines makes the comparison not so clear cut (and I don't care enough to research it). The Crosstown LRT alone will increase the size of Toronto's rapid transit network by around 66%

Yes, we'll actually overtake Vancouver again and be the largest rapid transit system in Canada. TYSSE doesn't do. ECLRT does it without the eastern and western extensions. FWLRT nails it.

I'm a bit confused too. Originally, it was a part of the proposed Scarborough extension budget, which was made possible by cutting 2 stations and stopping it at the STC.

But the price of the extension keeps going up. So I'm not even sure if the Crosstown East has funding anymore. It won't have priority over the SSE.

From my Google-fu: Crosstown East LRT costs $1.7 Billion. $1 Billion of this will come from funds formerly dedicated to the Scarborough Subway. Where the rest will come from is yet to be sleet.

Yeah, not so bad. It looks like theres way too many stations.... but it's just that the line is really long.
That's not even including Crosstown East.

It'll be the longest rapid transit line in Canada, and among the longest in North America when completed. Los Angeles' Gold Line will be a little bit longer. I presume NYC might have longer lines, but they way they've set up services vs lines makes the comparison not so clear cut (and I don't care enough to research it). The Crosstown LRT alone will increase the size of Toronto's rapid transit network by around 66%

This is including including Crosstown East. From Pearson to Pan Am Centre, it would be ~42.5 km. Extending to Sheppard adds ~1.5 km.

Also, subject to revisions, that's 25 + 14 + 18/19 stops for central, west and east portions respectively. 58 stops is twice as many as the LA gold line.

It'll be the longest rapid transit line in Canada, and among the longest in North America when completed. Los Angeles' Gold Line will be a little bit longer.
When the LA downtown connector is complete, the northern portion of the Gold line will be be connected with the Blue Line to Long Beach. That line will be about 73km long.

The map is a little bit outdated: Russell/Eden Valley, East Mall, Rangoon, and Renforth have been cut from the proposed Phase II west section. I also doubt that the Jane or Don Mills LRTs will ever get built either.

The map should also have other RT lines included. At Renforth the Mississauga BRT. Plus the various GO lines. And of course the UPX at Black Creek.

This is basically transit priority to where the lights will change for the LRT when it is a certain distance away from intersection. This is not happening in Toronto anytime soon since we're still very car dependent and there will be a lot of complaints from drivers.

Despite transit priority not being a part of the TTC "streetcar RoW" routes, the Metrolinx LRT lines (Crosstown, Finch West, Hurontario) will feature transit priority signalling.

I didn't realize the Western terminus of the Crosstown will link with the UP Express. I can imagine the traffic on UP will rise significantly once it links to the Crosstown, and further more if Crosstown East is built.

It likely will increase, we might have a better idea of how much if it were not for the fact that there isn't a direct transfer at Bloor due to classical NIMBYism.
I thought that was because of the owners of The Crossways being crummy?

I didn't realize the Western terminus of the Crosstown will link with the UP Express. I can imagine the traffic on UP will rise significantly once it links to the Crosstown, and further more if Crosstown East is built.
When the crosstown opens, TTC might consider extending the 32A to Pearson which would save people a lot of time oppose to taking the 52A to Lawrence Station and force to take the Yonge line north or south as the 124/162 can't get people to the east end. Taking the UPX would save people 10-15 minutes but a free transfer would be more appealing than $5 additional for two stops on the UPX.

If it does happen, UPX ridership wouldn't go up as much as you expect unless the do some sort of fare integration.

So what happens to the Weston stop?
It stays.

It's could be used as a second platform for the Kitchener RER/SmartTrack station.
The station already has 3 UPX platforms and 3 GO train platforms. The UPX are 3 car high floor platform connection the the GO platform. The UPX platforms are way too short for GO RER trains.
Have a look: https://www.upexpress.com/SchedulesStations/WestonStationDesktop
There's no plan to repurpose the station.

When are we looking at for Crosstown East and West, mid 2020s?

Good question. When they came up (again) about 18 months ago, I think that Toronto City Council expressed a desire to see them open at the same time as the EC. Environmental assessments need to be amended for both because the current plan is at significant variance from the Transit City plans.

So the things that need to fall into place as I understand them are:

1. Finalize plan.
2. Funding for EA amendments to plan.
3. EA amendments executed, completed, accepted.
4. Funding for construction.
5. Build.

I would be disappointed with a later date.

Just a small question, but does the Crosstown site have the Environmental Assessment document pdfs as a single full report? I know there are many sections that are separated into separate files, but is there a "Single Document to Rule Them All"?

Back