News   Jul 15, 2024
 121     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The "expert" that metrolinks hired would disagree with that and say that hyphenated names aren't good and we need everything to have a unique name. This was also the same person that came up with the signage for the pan am games

The Pan Am wayfinding was very well done, and I'm inclined to agree with them here. Signage, wayfinding, announcements etc. are all made much easier for people to understand with short, unique names. Intersection names might be helpful if a line runs across multiple streets, but they rarely do in Toronto. Naming every Yonge line station "Yonge-X" is adding no useful information. Plus there's that quirky Dundas street, it intersects with Bloor twice!

Also, for people bringing up other cities using street names for stations; you can find just as many cities that use mostly neighbourhoods or landmarks, so it's a silly counterpoint.

Naming every Yonge line station "Yonge-X" is adding no useful information.

While Yonge is straight forward having X-University, X-Spadina, X-Keele, X-Jane, X-??? would be useful. Toronto's street setup allows for fairly easy navigation by major intersections and neighbourhoods are very loosely defined and I don't really know their positions relative to each-other.

All that said, it matters less and less every year. Most people already use a computerized navigator of some kind for unusual trips. I stopped asking family/hotels/coworkers/etc. for directions years ago; just ask for an address now.

I expect in a generation or 2 memorizing the relative position of major streets will go out of fashion anyway, so maybe unique names will be better in a few decades.

Last edited:
While Yonge is straight forward having X-University, X-Spadina, X-Keele, X-Jane, X-??? would be useful. Toronto's street setup allows for fairly easy navigation by major intersections and neighbourhoods are very loosely defined and I don't really know their positions relative to each-other.

All that said, it matters less and less every year. Most people already use a computerized navigator of some kind for unusual trips. I stopped asking family/hotels/coworkers/etc. for directions years ago; just ask for an address now.

I expect in a generation or 2 memorizing the relative position of major streets will go out of fashion.

A subway station's catchment area usually covers a typical Toronto neighbourhood so I'm not sure it matters much where their borders are. And while it is handy to have an intersection to navigate by, I still think the complications that arise with announcements and wayfinding outweigh that usefulness. Though you could conceivably add the cross street after the name like on University line stations.

I agree that the way people navigate is changing, the TTC even plugs popular transit apps on their new maps. Smartphones combined with automated announcements make it pretty easy to find your way around transit these days.

I agree that the way people navigate is changing, the TTC even plugs popular transit apps on their new maps. Smartphones combined with automated announcements make it pretty easy to find your way around transit these days.

Some bright person will eventually add a "get off the train at the next stop and turn left to exit the station" announcement to the various navigation kits. At that point stations won't even need names.

The in-station WIFI and microcell IDs should be sufficient to provide the necessary information.

Last edited:
Just wait until some bright person figures out the MAC of the in-station WIFI gives enough position information for directions. You won't even need the station name; the device will just say, hopefully through headphones, "get off the train at this station and turn left to find the station exit".

Indeed! I imagine once cell service is in the tunnels that could be hooked into various apps as well.

What's wrong with the above picture?
Nimbys. that's what's wrong.

Recall, that they did try to improve the Eglinton East design, but because it triggered changes to the EA, the Nimbys were getting wound up, so they just went for what was already approved, to save the trouble.

Obviously, it's less of an issue in that part of Etobicoke.

Also note, that the Eglinton East alignment does grade separate two roads - Don Mills and Kennedy. People seem to forget that was optional.

I was just wondering:

Was it always the plan to have the Crosstown station at Kennedy a little bit north of the subway platforms?
If the Scarborough LRT and Malvern LRT were still being built, where would they have gone? Would they reuse the SRT platform?

I was just wondering:

Was it always the plan to have the Crosstown station at Kennedy a little bit north of the subway platforms?
If the Scarborough LRT and Malvern LRT were still being built, where would they have gone? Would they reuse the SRT platform?

The crosstown platform would have been right up along the north side of the subway platform, and level with it. The SRT Platform would have been directly above the crosstown, but it was a single platform loop. The Malvern LRT was to be directly in line and level with the Crosstown LRT on the east side of the GO train tracks.

The crosstown platform would have been right up along the north side of the subway platform, and level with it. The SRT Platform would have been directly above the crosstown, but it was a single platform loop. The Malvern LRT was to be directly in line and level with the Crosstown LRT on the east side of the GO train tracks.
Interesting, thanks. Any idea why that scheme was drop for the current proposal (slightly longer walk)?

where exactly is the crosstown platform going to be in kenedy sation and does the old post office station on one of the access roads to it factor into it as I've noticed it has fences around it.

The site of the future Mt. Pleasant Station

IMG_20160701_110539.jpg
IMG_20160701_110543.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160701_110543.jpg
    IMG_20160701_110543.jpg
    822.9 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_20160701_110539.jpg
    IMG_20160701_110539.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 825
It's actually 1 of 2 Mount Pleasant Station entrances. The other one will be in the old bank/starbucks building on the north west corner.

Back