News   Jul 16, 2024
 360     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 459     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The thing is that Miller and the people in charge then thought the line did make sense. Only because the liberal government was trying to stagger their spending combined with an elected Rob Ford who had "Subways subways subways" mantra did this line get cut at coincidentally the same place where Rob Ford comes from.

Exactly this extension was scheduled to be built even with the so called low ridership until funding got cut back. Just because Toronto might need to cough up some money in it getting built instead of just the province, doesn't mean it shouldn't be built. The line will get built because Tory needs to save face.

Ok salsa I should say it got completely cut under Ford which I am sure the Liberal government were at least a bit afraid of since they were willing to sit with him and redo their plans. But under Miller the Eglinton line to the airport was championed. It was called the crosstown for a reason.

Will the Crosstown LRT be running at the same hours as the subway? Replaced by buses during the morning shift (1AM to 6 AM). Or will it run 24 hours, like the streetcars? If 24 hours, then I can see the airport workers using it in the predawn hours, replacing the 332 Eglinton West Blue Night bus.

The $467 million was for less than 8 km from Jane to Renforth (they later moved the terminus back to Mount Dennis, so that would add another kilometre). No car house, no complex entry to Pearson.

Renforth to Pearson is another issue, but SmartTrack was proposed to terminate at Renforth, not Pearson. Being almost entirely (and perhaps totally) in Mississauga, it's not something the City of Toronto will be funding.

Moor's article did say they wanted to bring to the LRT to the airport:

Although details have not been finalized, Metrolinx staff are expected to recommend adding only four or five new stations along the Kitchener and Stouffville corridors, and an LRT – instead of heavy rail – along Eglinton Avenue West to Pearson airport.

There's quite a lot of ambiguity regarding what exactly "to Pearson airport" means. Does it mean connecting to a terminal, or just going somewhere in the vacinity of the airport (Renforth)? That difference could add hundreds of millions to the price.

The $467 million was for less than 8 km from Jane to Renforth (they later moved the terminus back to Mount Dennis, so that would add another kilometre). No car house, no complex entry to Pearson.

Renforth to Pearson is another issue, but SmartTrack was proposed to terminate at Renforth, not Pearson. Being almost entirely (and perhaps totally) in Mississauga, it's not something the City of Toronto will be funding.

There's also this part from the article:

The so-called western spur of his proposal has long been the most problematic. The Globe reported exclusively in November that, according to still-unreleased parts of a report for the city, running SmartTrack as a heavy-rail option to the airport area would cost $3-billion to $5-billion. An LRT serving the same area would cost $1.3-billion.

So the LRT would cost $1.3 Billion. Looks like they're taking it into the airport.

Because of the multiple terminals, most airports use some sort a train shuttle to move passengers from terminal to terminal to parking garage to transit station.
AirTrain.jpg

As the Pearson airport grows, I can see them expanding their current "TERMINAL LINK" train. It might be better if they extend the "TERMINAL LINK" south down to the Crosstown LRT, north up to the Finch West LRT (wherever they route those lines), and GO Train. The UPX station could remain, however it ends up being in the future.
Link%20Train%20Map.jpg

Attachments

• AirTrain.jpg
    AirTrain.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 1,522
Last edited:
There is an intention in the GTAA master plan to extend the Link to the far end of T1. There is also an intention to convert to "self propelled" vehicles at some point also (presumably the same time?) Given the dimensions of the Link and how it is now hemmed in by UPX, I doubt we will see full size LRVs on that guideway.

There's also this part from the article:

The so-called western spur of his proposal has long been the most problematic. The Globe reported exclusively in November that, according to still-unreleased parts of a report for the city, running SmartTrack as a heavy-rail option to the airport area would cost $3-billion to $5-billion. An LRT serving the same area would cost $1.3-billion.

So the LRT would cost $1.3 Billion. Looks like they're taking it into the airport.

Smart Track doesn't go to the airport, so when the paragraph you quoted says "an LRT serving the same area would cost $1.3-billion", it might not necessarily mean that the LRT will go all the way to the airport.

The Transitway extension to Mt. Dennis doesn't need to be grade separated.
Maybe they should grade separated the Martin Grove/Eglinton intersection. The original plans call for the left turns from Eglinton to Martin Grove (eastbound to northbound) to routed to it's own lane a block south. Tory plans to this intersection as part of the 10 most congestion intersection too. It would help to grade separate the intersection where Eglinton and the highway too. Traffic is really bad here in rush hour.

What's the business case for going to the airport? The line we have currently doesn't attract any riders...why would another one improve things?

There is a much more reasonable argument that square one or Hurontario might be a better target to aim for...how often do people go to an airport (twice a year?)...it'd be way better to send the kids to the mall once a week, or centennial park or Hershey center...there is a way more at that mall of interest than at the airport...

Why not go south on kipling or islington and over to Sherway...or down to Lakeshore and Long Branch Go....these routes would serve way more people and have way more utility and network effects than another line to the airport...unless we are building some movie theatres and schools up there that I don't know about it seems crazy to cater to one-off trips...

Why not go south on kipling or islington and over to Sherway...or down to Lakeshore and Long Branch Go....these routes would serve way more people and have way more utility and network effects than another line to the airport...unless we are building some movie theatres and schools up there that I don't know about it seems crazy to cater to one-off trips...

I'm biting my tongue on the existing airport service until there is at least a full year's ridership data to trend from. By then, planning SmartTrack up the Weston will be further along. Continued weak UPX ridership data suggesting need to revisit the UPX fare strategy, plus SmartTrack line to downtown terminating just a short track segment away.....I won't go there yet.

TTC just announced a new Rocket service on Kipling South. I suspect that many people coming from the north end do carry on south to employment areas further south, and/or to Humber College on the Lakeshore. Same issue, however....so far the numbers don't reach the threshold for anything other than better bus service, and there is no one north-south route that is a preeminent choice for RT.

Connectivity between the north end and the Eglinton busway makes intuitive sense, given all the employment areas west of Renforth. I would bet that an Airport Rocket bus from Mount Dennis would be well used. The number would be greater than zero but not necessarily LRT level. Once the Mount Dennis hub becomes real, with both ST and ECLRT coming to it, travel patterns may change considerably. Development east of Mount Dennis on Eglinton will change things too, we may see airport area workers living along there. It may just take a while.

- Paul

What's the business case for going to the airport? The line we have currently doesn't attract any riders...why would another one improve things?

There is a much more reasonable argument that square one or Hurontario might be a better target to aim for...how often do people go to an airport (twice a year?)...it'd be way better to send the kids to the mall once a week, or centennial park or Hershey center...there is a way more at that mall of interest than at the airport...

Yeah, well that's the wonderful thing about the Transitway. We can easily serve both the airport and Sherway and any other destinations , as busses offer unlimited route flexibility. The Transitway extension could be the trunk of several Etobickoe bus routes.

Back