News   May 15, 2024
 824     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 839     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Nothing will happen there until July 2017.

Construction on the rest of the stations starts in April, 4 months from now.

Is there an explanation for this schedule? why cant they concurrently build instead of letting it grow stagnant for 2 years esp since they are now 2 years behind sched.

edit: They could even stage the opening so that politicians can win points on showcasing a western preview of the 19km line which we dumped billions into

Last edited:
Is there an explanation for this schedule? why cant they concurrently build instead of letting it grow stagnant for 2 years esp since they are now 2 years behind sched.

edit: They could even stage the opening so that politicians can win points on showcasing a western preview of the 19km line which we dumped billions into

The original plan, when the line was first funded, was to open the section west of Eglinton West station to Kipling this year or so, the province later delayed the funding, and cancelled sections, to have everything open all together at the end.

The original plan, when the line was first funded, was to open the section west of Eglinton West station to Kipling this year or so, the province later delayed the funding, and cancelled sections, to have everything open all together at the end.

Thats just dumb.... they thought that theyd be saving money but really they are wasting a great opportunity to make up some time lost and start recovering costs earlier. Have they not learned the potential benefits from a construction and PR POV from VivaNext?

Thats just dumb.... they thought that theyd be saving money but really they are wasting a great opportunity to make up some time lost and start recovering costs earlier. Have they not learned the potential benefits from a construction and PR POV from VivaNext?

Watching projects like this and TYSSE really make me appreciate the way that Ottawa is doing the Confederation Line. Just tender the entire thing (tunnelling, tracks, stations, vehicles, warranty) in one fixed-price contract and be done with it. Ottawa's Confederation Line is only slightly less complex than the Eglinton Crosstown (a few less underground stations), but still pretty comparable. The Confederation Line is also about 6 months ahead of schedule.

you can just go to waterloo to clearly see how things progress without the interference of the wretched dogs they call politicians (mind you its all over ground, but you get the idea....)

They never indicated that at any of the EA-level meetings that I attended. What's your source?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They never indicated that at any of the EA-level meetings that I attended. What's your source?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That is what I remember from a long time ago. The display boards and other material don't seem to be available on line anymore, the best I could find now is this.

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2009/04/province-moving-transit-projects-forward.html

Timing
  • TTC is conducting the Environmental Assessment - and the second set of public meetings will be held this spring. Subject to environmental approval, the TTC estimates construction could begin in 2010, with service planned for 2016.

Watching projects like this and TYSSE really make me appreciate the way that Ottawa is doing the Confederation Line. Just tender the entire thing (tunnelling, tracks, stations, vehicles, warranty) in one fixed-price contract and be done with it. Ottawa's Confederation Line is only slightly less complex than the Eglinton Crosstown (a few less underground stations), but still pretty comparable. The Confederation Line is also about 6 months ahead of schedule.

Eglinton is more complex in terms of building under & connecting to existing subways. From what I've heard it's one of the most difficult parts.

Eglinton is more complex in terms of building under & connecting to existing subways. From what I've heard it's one of the most difficult parts.

still cant explain why they cant start station construction on the western portion now while they dig the rest

still cant explain why they cant start station construction on the western portion now while they dig the rest
have they removed all of the trailing stiff from the TBMs from it yet my guess would be they can't start work on them until they have all of the conveyor belts and stuff out of the way.

They'll probably start on the Crosstown stations after they finish the Spadina extension stations. They have only so many workers with the skill-set needed.

When they finish the Crosstown stations, then they'll start on the DRL stations... (insert laughter here). :rolleyes:

They'll probably start on the Crosstown stations after they finish the Spadina extension stations. They have only so many workers with the skill-set needed. :rolleyes:
I think the people needed to do the foundation and the structure are already finished their work on Spadina. The group who are now doing the electrical, mechanical and finishing on Spadina won't be needed on Eglinton for a few years.

They'll probably start on the Crosstown stations after they finish the Spadina extension stations. They have only so many workers with the skill-set needed.

When they finish the Crosstown stations, then they'll start on the DRL stations... (insert laughter here). :rolleyes:

Is the GTA that starved for contractors and skilled trades?

Is the GTA that starved for contractors and skilled trades?

Yes (at times). However, the folks that do the excavating, the building, and finishes are 3 different groups of people. Ongoing TSSE work is not an impediment to finding excavation crews.

That said, the contract has been tendered and that tender has a project-wide deadline. It's more or less up to the contractor to time construction.

Last edited:

Back