News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Sadly, pretty much the entire south side of Eglinton east of Yonge is slated to lose or become void of office space at this rate.

I don't like the sounds of that. I posted this infographic in another thread a couple weeks ago, but think it's worth presenting in a lot of contexts. Obviously there's a lot more to a centre's success than diversity of land use, but the variety of what exists is definitely important. I'd guess that office space is one of the hardest things to bring to a centre, and probably one of the worst to lose. If Y/E sees more loss of employment lands it might end up right at the bottom in terms of land use diversity.

GTHA-urban-growth-centres-land-use.jpg

Attachments

• GTHA-urban-growth-centres-land-use.jpg
    GTHA-urban-growth-centres-land-use.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 713
Eglinton is really a sad case of the problem with employment land being converted to residential use in the city. There was a time people would actually try to live close to where they work, but now people tend to want to commute and enjoy long commute times to downtown Toronto. Then they complain that commute times are too long, when they are in a sense contributing to the problem.

Midtown Toronto would be an excellent secondary office "hub" but sadly that will likely never be the case again.

Eglinton is really a sad case of the problem with employment land being converted to residential use in the city. There was a time people would actually try to live close to where they work, but now people tend to want to commute and enjoy long commute times to downtown Toronto. Then they complain that commute times are too long, when they are in a sense contributing to the problem.

Is that really true though? It's not as if it's only new office space being built downtown. There's an enormous amount of residential as well. It seems that people want to both live and work downtown.

Nobody WANTS to commute. It's like the #1 thing people complain about on a regular basis.

The reality is that it's not that easy to live close to work. Offices concentrated where housing is expensive, or perhaps unsuitable for bigger families. One partner works downtown while the other partner works at the airport corporate centre, etc. Not to mention that people change jobs a lot more frequently than they used to, so it would mean moving more frequently, uprooting your family more often, etc.

Here's a dumb question, but if all they're doing is tunnelling right now between say Yonge and Bayview, why is the middle of the road closed off for long stretches at a time with construction signs and some scattered equipment. What would they need to be doing on the surface while a tunnel is going on below? This is not station construction. It's just the two central lanes blocked off for kilometres at a time.

Here's a dumb question, but if all they're doing is tunnelling right now between say Yonge and Bayview, why is the middle of the road closed off for long stretches at a time with construction signs and some scattered equipment. What would they need to be doing on the surface while a tunnel is going on below? This is not station construction. It's just the two central lanes blocked off for kilometres at a time.

they are building the head walls for the stations for the tbms to go through them so they have a rough layout for the station boxes once they begin work on them

Then another 3.8 km to Leslie and all the tunnelling is done. The rest of it is outside. Then just build all the stations and all the tracks and wiring, test it for a year and we should be good to go around 2021! Just 5 more years.

Then another 3.8 km to Leslie and all the tunnelling is done. The rest of it is outside. Then just build all the stations and all the tracks and wiring, test it for a year and we should be good to go around 2021! Just 5 more years.

So simple I could do it with my eyes closed. We'll be riding our new subway in no time :)

I have seen completion as September 2021, so that would be 5 years, 8 months.

Back