News   Aug 02, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.5K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Centre platforms @ St. Patrick and Queens Park at least have that shoreline comfort zone to gravitate towards unlike all the other barrier wall free centre platforms.

15,000 people per hour per direction. Eglinton will feed riders into southbound Yonge from both the east and the west meaning a potential 30k pph going to downtown from Eglinton.

As you already know, Yonge subway is not running empty trains at morning rush so that would be a problem.
Is everyone on this line headed for Yonge?

Is everyone on this line headed for Yonge?

No, but a majority going through Yonge station will be heading downtown and capacity entering into Yonge from East and West is 15k.

Imagine for a minute that only 50% of Eglinton riders at the peak points (which happen to be near Yonge) go south and Eglinton as is feared here has hit capacity.

Last edited:
No, but a majority going through Yonge station will be heading downtown and capacity entering into Yonge from East and West is 15k.

Imagine for a minute that only 50% of Eglinton riders at the peak points (which happen to be near Yonge) go south and Eglinton as is feared here has hit capacity.

Be interesting to see......only one person but there is a lady here who lives at Yonge and Eg and she has said she is looking forward to the Crosstown so that she can avoid the crowded Yonge leg/branch/side of line 1. Her plan (pressuming she still lives there in 2020) would be to take the Crosstown over to Eg West and then scoot down to St Andrew station (where our offices are). She reckons it will add a bit of time to her journey but hopes it will be more comfortable.

Be interesting to see......only one person but there is a lady here who lives at Yonge and Eg and she has said she is looking forward to the Crosstown so that she can avoid the crowded Yonge leg/branch/side of line 1. Her plan (pressuming she still lives there in 2020) would be to take the Crosstown over to Eg West and then scoot down to St Andrew station (where our offices are). She reckons it will add a bit of time to her journey but hopes it will be more comfortable.

I expect she will be very disappointed with the southbound crowding on the Spadina/University section in 2022. Finch LRT, Steeles bus, and general growth will significantly increase the passenger count on that leg.

I can't even speculate at what impact frequent service on the Barrie line might have at the new Downsview station. 905ers might transfer to the subway or 416ers might transfer to the Barrie line to go to South Core. I'm not sure which direction the bulk of the passengers flow would go or whether it would be significant relative to the subway capacity.

Last edited:
I expect she will be very disappointed with the southbound crowding on Spadina in 2022. Finch, Steeles, and general growth will significantly increase the passenger count on that leg.
True - but they also plan to double the number of trains north of St. Clair West in AM peak soon, so that you'd have the same frequency at Eglinton West as Eglinton. With all the other upgrades, it's hard to imagine that the ridership one Line 1 at Eglinton West will ever be as bad as at Eglinton.

I can't even speculate at what impact frequent service on the Barrie line might have at the new Downsview station. 905ers might transfer to the subway or 416ers might transfer to the Barrie line to go downtown. I'm not sure which direction the bulk of the flow would go.
Not much I'd imagine. Travel time from Union to York U GO is currently 20 minutes north (and a padded 24 minutes south). The Downsview Park GO will be a bit shorter ... but they are also adding a new GO station in between Union and Downsview Park at Caledonia/Eglinton in 2020/22 - so I expect travel times will be similar. Subway travel time from Union to Downsview Park will be 29 minutes.

If you are right at Union, and your destination is Downsview Park station, then it might make sense (not that there is much right at Downsview Park station). But if you are taking the subway at either end to get to Union or Downsview Park, I expect it's just far simpler to stay on the subway.

I suppose the MLSE staff based at the ACC that need to get to the training facility for TFC near Downsview Park station might find it very useful compared to driving. But I don't think they are currently taking transit ...

It will be useful during subway outages though!

That's my plan, but that's if Yonge becomes unbearable. Spadina will get more crowded too, but probably still less than Yonge.

I expect she will be very disappointed with the southbound crowding on the Spadina/University section in 2022. Finch LRT, Steeles bus, and general growth will significantly increase the passenger count on that leg.
It's really going to be fascinating to watch the change in traffic patterns.
Not only are Steeles West and Finch West going to feed Spadina instead of Yonge, but once Eglinton is complete, suddenly anyone coming in from Eglinton now has the choice over which line to transfer to.

Instead of simply taking the first subway line their bus hits, Eglinton riders can ride through and take whichever line takes them closest to their destination downtown. And this will go both ways.

Not only are Steeles West and Finch West going to feed Spadina instead of Yonge, but once Eglinton is complete, suddenly anyone coming in from Eglinton now has the choice over which line to transfer to.

Instead of simply taking the first subway line their bus hits, Eglinton riders can ride through and take whichever line takes them closest to their destination downtown. And this will go both ways.

Yes, the thing is: if you're east of Yonge currently on Eglinton heading west, then you have to actually switch buses once the bus goes into Yonge-Eglinton station in order to continue west. Not very convenient and much slower than the LRT would be.

Once the LRT happens, if you get on the LRT heading westbound, you just stay on an extra 4 stops, so maybe 5-7 minutes, to get to Eglinton West station. It's much more viable. Of course, it's only worth it if Yonge is very very overcrowded, if you can get on the 1st or 2nd train, it may not be worth it to go further.

Either way though, it's good to have an east-west distributor there. Let's say they want to close Line 1 Yonge at Davisville to do repairs in the future. They could have everyone going south on Yonge to transfer west on Eglinton and take the Spadina line south to divert around it (along with the usual shuttle bus replacements).

Not to mention all the Bloor-Danforth commuters whose inter-connecting buses will now reach Eglinton subway before they reach Line 2.

I can anecdotally say that Eglinton station can look like Yonge-Bloor station on mornings with delays. There isn't a whole deal of space between the platform edge and the walls.

The entire Yonge line platform at Eglinton is going to be rebuilt 70 m north of where it is now to accommodate the LRT properly, without stairs being available only at one end of the platform (causing a choke point)

I imagine they will rebuild the platform (like with Union station) to create wider platforms.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...estimate_time_for_transfers_on_crosstown.html

The entire Yonge line platform at Eglinton is going to be rebuilt 70 m north of where it is now to accommodate the LRT properly, without stairs being available only at one end of the platform (causing a choke point)

I imagine they will rebuild the platform (like with Union station) to create wider platforms.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...estimate_time_for_transfers_on_crosstown.html

That is what I thought too, but (and someone correct me if I am wrong) it appears that the platform 70m north of the current platform was built alongside the original platform, and will boast the current platform width as today. As far as I know there are no plans to rebuild it wider, though I think there should be. (As I expect Eglinton will have more ridership than anticipated)

Anywho, I took some (crappy phone quality) pictures of Eglinton from my building over the past few days/weeks, as they progress with moving the utilities ahead of the headwalls for Bayview station.

LZI73WW.png

MbKwLpH.png

StVg8V3.png

That is what I thought too, but (and someone correct me if I am wrong) it appears that the platform 70m north of the current platform was built alongside the original platform, and will boast the current platform width as today. As far as I know there are no plans to rebuild it wider, though I think there should be. (As I expect Eglinton will have more ridership than anticipated)

That's my understanding, you probably can't widen it without closing the Yonge line for long periods of time, which is obviously impractical. It's just a shift north.

Anywho, I took some (crappy phone quality) pictures of Eglinton from my building over the past few days/weeks, as they progress with moving the utilities ahead of the headwalls for Bayview station.

Thanks for posting! I've noticed things like that all over our neighbourhood, tons of utility work happening on the east side now. I'm actually surprised how few photos of the LRT construction have been posted.

Back