News   Aug 02, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.5K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Unfortunately the sound queues aren't used at most intersections.

While that is sad, it is just another adaptation to life that non-sighted people make. So if they are crossing University and there are no sound cues at King they adapt and walk up to Adelaide where there are cues.

Not a problem we can/will/should solve here but the notion that only sighted folks can, and do, get around this city is a bit silly. As I walk the streets downtown hardly a day goes by that I don't see at least one person with a cane or a dog helping them adapt to what is, granted, a mostly sighted world.

Like all physical limitations, it is one that we should be constantly looking at how we make it better/easier but there is the ability now to get through and around the city.

It is important to remember that although considerations should be made to accommodate as much as possible,
to make changes and accommodations to these projects past current and future at the expense of affordability and practicality honestly paranoia and lunacy.
Yes we should make platforms safe accessible but we cant expect everything to be possible. We simply cant afford to inconvenience hundreds of thousands of potential riders on eglinton and
future lines to redesign and incorporate every single possible blanket protection just for at best a few percent of those who are impaired. Its harsh but the reality is that they simply have to adapt to it.

You are aware that York Mills has an island platform?

Off the top of my TTC hasn't routinely designed any side platform stations for subway extensions for 50 years. The last extension that used side platforms everywhere was the first BD extension in 1968. Dupont (and the additional Spadina station platforms are the exception to that in 1978). Yonge-Sheppard station on the Sheppard line is an overdesigned 3-platform station. The only other one I can think of is North York Centre which was constructed many years after the line opened. (I'm sure I've missed one that someone will happily point out).

So I don't see that anyone would be surprised by this!
St. Clair West and Eglinton West also use side platforms and were opened in 1978.

At least Sheppard–Yonge station on the Sheppard line isn't like the one in Atlanta's Five Points subway station, where both levels use Spanish solution (unlike Sheppard–Yonge station's Spanish solution on the less busier level) and much of Atlanta's subway system make the Sheppard line seem very busy in comparison.

Yes, there should be platform screen doors, since they would be much cheaper than redesigning platforms completely.

Last edited:
The Crosstown, and probably everything government run now, has to be built to AODA standards. What this lawyer and the head of a citizen AODA compliance group seem to be implying is that the ECLRT won't AODA compliant...which seems absolute bullshit.

That's what the article says.

While I don't see any problem with people expressing concerns - I don't see why it's happening at this stage now. This decision was made and publicized years ago. These comments should have been made during the planning and assessment phase last decade.

Less elevators and escalators to install and maintain. That alone is a benefit to island platforms.

That's what I thought. Plus less staff needed for the station.

Unfortunately, those people who do not use public transit would consider such doors as "gravy", and not a safety feature.

I wonder if there will be platform doors on the underground Eglinton Crosstown stations. It has ATC so it should be possible.

It would help with keeping people off the tracks, since it's low-floor, low-platform.

St. Clair West and Eglinton West also use side platforms and were opened in 1978.
Ah, that's right. Hmm, I wonder what lead them to change the design for those 1978 stations, when they seemed quite happy with centre platforms for the earlier 1970s stations, and for the 1978 stations north of Eglinton.

At least Sheppard–Yonge station on the Sheppard line isn't like the one in Atlanta's Five Points subway station, where both levels use Spanish solution (unlike Sheppard–Yonge station's Spanish solution on the less busier level) and much of Atlanta's subway system make the Sheppard line seem very busy in comparison.
When they built the Sheppard line, they did rough in the start of two more Yonge line platforms on the sides, at the point of intersection - so they could be added in the future if demand exists.

Shame it doesn't seem to be an option at Eglinton-Yonge.

because the demand will never exist at Eglinton Yonge, if it does the ECLRT will be severely over capacity.

Sheppard had stupid high ridership projections when it was being built.. that simply will never come to be. It was supposed to start surpassing the bloor line in the early 2020's presuming the entire thing was built.

because the demand will never exist at Eglinton Yonge, if it does the ECLRT will be severely over capacity.
The Eglinton platform is already very busy. There is going to be some extra ridership on Eglinton. Though I don't know why you'd think the LRT is the issue ... it can handle 15,000 people an hour. It's Yonge that would have a problem handling that many extra riders!

It was supposed to start surpassing the bloor line in the early 2020's presuming the entire thing was built.
It was. It was based on the construction of very large downtown-like nodes at Scarborough Centre and North York which never came to pass. The 2031 population and employment estimates for those nodes are much, much lower than those from the 1980s.

The Eglinton platform is already very busy. There is going to be some extra ridership on Eglinton. Though I don't know why you'd think the LRT is the issue ... it can handle 15,000 people an hour. It's Yonge that would have a problem handling that many extra riders!

15,000 people per hour per direction. Eglinton will feed riders into southbound Yonge from both the east and the west meaning a potential 30k pph going to downtown from Eglinton.

As you already know, Yonge subway is not running empty trains at morning rush so that would be a problem.

Sheppard had stupid high ridership projections when it was being built.. that simply will never come to be. It was supposed to start surpassing the bloor line in the early 2020's presuming the entire thing was built.

Ahahaahahahahaha. Haahaha.

Ha.

That's funny.

What were these guys smoking when they came up with those numbers? I want some of it ;)

15,000 people per hour per direction. Eglinton will feed riders into southbound Yonge from both the east and the west meaning a potential 30k pph going to downtown from Eglinton.

As you already know, Yonge subway is not running empty trains at morning rush so that would be a problem.
It could be interesting. It's certainly a realistic concern, unlike the LRT being under-capacity!

I can anecdotally say that Eglinton station can look like Yonge-Bloor station on mornings with delays. There isn't a whole deal of space between the platform edge and the walls.

Back