Attachments

• IMG_20140605_183715.jpg
    IMG_20140605_183715.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_20140605_183753.jpg
    IMG_20140605_183753.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 995
I have a question:
How will the Eglinton Crosstown affect traffic/ traffic lights at the at grade sections in the east? Will they be raised or tunneled at intersections such as Leslie, Don Mills, VP, Pharmacy, Warden, etc?

Last edited:
I have a question:
How will the Eglinton Crosstown affect traffic/ traffic lights at the at grade sections in the east? Will they be raised or tunneled at intersections such as Leslie, Don Mills, VP, Pharmacy, Warden, etc?

It will be tunneled to Don Mills and Kennedy. All other intersections will be at-grade.

I have a question:

In theory, they will have "transit priority".

However, I think that it'll mean single-occupant vehicles making left turns will still get priority, followed by everyone going straight. They may delay the green light for everyone going straight, if there is a LRV train coming or crossing the intersection, but that's it.

The traffic signal lights are the responsibility of the roads department. For them, it means any vehicle are their outmost obligation, no matter how many actual people are inside. So even if one Flexity Freedom car carries 250 people (and a train of three cars carries 750 people), they are still count as only one vehicle to the roads department. So the three single-occupant cars making a left turn have a higher priority for them than a LRV of 250, because there are more vehicles.

The roads department could have experimented with setting up a proper transit priority system on The Queensway, but no. Instead, they forced the streetcars to go slow (7 km/h) at the intersections, wait for cars making left turns, and wait with the other motor vehicles. The "go slow" signs have been removed, but they still have not set up a real transit priority, unless they delayed the green signal. However, it doesn't look like they did.

I hope that by the time the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and the other LRT routes open, that there will be real transit priority.

It will be tunneled to Don Mills and Kennedy. All other intersections will be at-grade.

To be more correct; "It will be tunneled AT Don Mills and Kennedy. All other intersections will be at-grade."

And Wynford will retain the overpass, so the LRT will not interfere with traffic on Wynford, but the pedestrians will affect traffic on Eglinton.

The Michigan left is 'vernacular' road design. It's ubiquitous in Michigan but quite rare outside of the state. It tends to require a huge right of way for the roadway and is mostly confined to suburbs that are so car dependent that arterial roads don't even have sidewalks.

Back