News   Jul 16, 2024
 177     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 471     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 589     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The elimination of the Oakwood stop always come up, and people seem to ignore the neighbourhood protested to KEEP the stop. The residents want it, Josh Colle worked to make sure the stop wasn't dropped.
The stop isn't going to impact travel times much, and will be a benefit to the area.

The elimination of the Oakwood stop always come up, and people seem to ignore the neighbourhood protested to KEEP the stop. The residents want it, Josh Colle worked to make sure the stop wasn't dropped.
The stop isn't going to impact travel times much, and will be a benefit to the area.

The Oakwood stop would be in the middle of the Little Jamaica commercial strip and be beneficial to many.

Last edited:
How disruptive will the digging up of the intersections be, if not too much it could be less wariness of doing something like that on Queen.

Was there talk of the Oakwood stop being eliminated? It doesn't seem any farther from Eglinton West than Mount Pleasant is from Yonge, and they both have stops. Plus it's more dense

There's no way Oakwood & Eglinton is more dense than Mt Pleasant & Eglinton. Mt Pleasant station has many tall apartment buildings directly around it, Oakwood doesn't.

We should still keep Oakwood station, just wanted to dispute this claim.

It's already started, The Hub is at Eglinton and Oakwood and plays up the underground LRT in all it's advertisements. This certainly opens up a large portion of the city that is prime for added development.

There's also The Hill planned at Bathurst and Eglinton, and a ton of development happening at Yonge and Eglinton that's at least partially driven by the crosstown.

The biggest opportunities for development along Eg are probably the areas full of big box stores with giant parking lots in Leaside & Scarborough's "Golden Mile".

From the TTC's website at this link:

9pm, Friday, March 7 to 4am, Monday, March 10 and
9pm, Friday, March 14 to 4am, Monday, March 17

Eglinton Avenue West at Dufferin Street will be closed during preliminary construction work on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
Route 32/307 EGLINTON WEST will divert in both directions via Eglinton Avenue, Caledonia Road, Castlefield Avenue, Roselawn Avenue, Marlee Avenue and Eglinton Avenue.
32307-32307_ect_1303.gif

I didn't want to derail the KW LRT thread with my thoughts on the public acceptance and possible embrace of LRT in the GTA. Here seems a more apposite place to continue my musings.

I have this sense that people in the GTA don't like LRT because they don't know it. They know streetcars, and don't like them. They know subways, and love them. I remember one pollster commenting on a Scarborough transit poll and say that people didn't like LRT because it was "alien" to them. They were unfamiliar with it, and had no real idea how it would work in practice because they had never seen one, much less ridden on one. Those in the GTA who had gone to places like Calgary and saw how useful the technology can be are, to put it brutally, statistically insignificant. This allows politicians like Ford to play on fears because the other side can't point to examples that most people have experienced. It requires a leap of faith. That's the bad news.

The good news is that when LRT is properly implemented, such as in Calgary, it can be a great success. People get used to the technology, like it, and start wondering why they can't get that for *their* neighbourhood. Calgary and Edmonton are expanding their LRTs, with the KW LRT likely to be expanded after launch. If properly implemented in a timely fashion, I think the Eglinton Crosstown can 'break down the door' on public acceptance of LRT, and people like Ford will be ultimately discredited as their hyped-up fears won't be matched by reality that people experience.

This is my first substantive post, and I hope it matches the level of elucidation I have seen here (for the most part). I am very excited about the possibilities of LRT, and I am very glad to find out I am not the only one. If it would speed things along, I would bring a pick and shovel and help construction myself, if I could.

Just to add to that comment, I think the one thing KW did right was compare the system they were hoping to build (back before the system was approved by council) to Portland, Calgary, Minneapolis. At a few open houses that I attended years ago for the KW LRT, a member of the public asked whether we were going to build a streetcar line, and the professionals were very quick to shoot that down and offer information and pictures of Calgary, Portland etc.
Back to the original topic, I believe that the Eglinton Crosstown will be able to show people that LRT is not a streetcar, despite the blabbering of retards like Rob Ford.

Back to the original topic, I believe that the Eglinton Crosstown will be able to show people that LRT is not a streetcar, despite the blabbering of retards like Rob Ford.
The underground section, yes. The at-grade section, it depends how they will package it. St. Clair vs. viva vs. C-train/Confederation line stations . We keep saying LRT is not second class transit. But it looks like the at-grade sections in Toronto will be build to look like "second class" (tram stops).

But it looks like the at-grade sections in Toronto will be build to look like "second class" (tram stops).

Has Metrolinx released renders of what the at-grade stops are going to look like? I've seen plenty on the underground stations, but only layouts of stops such as Ionview, for example (no renders). I think the stop will have some elements similar to a streetcar stop, but it is more going to be a question of a larger scale – it "feeling" like a station, not just a structure in the middle of the road. I have a feeling they are going to be more like the stops on Highway 7 than the ones on Spadina.

I didn't want to derail the KW LRT thread with my thoughts on the public acceptance and possible embrace of LRT in the GTA. Here seems a more apposite place to continue my musings.

I have this sense that people in the GTA don't like LRT because they don't know it. They know streetcars, and don't like them. They know subways, and love them. I remember one pollster commenting on a Scarborough transit poll and say that people didn't like LRT because it was "alien" to them. They were unfamiliar with it, and had no real idea how it would work in practice because they had never seen one, much less ridden on one. Those in the GTA who had gone to places like Calgary and saw how useful the technology can be are, to put it brutally, statistically insignificant. This allows politicians like Ford to play on fears because the other side can't point to examples that most people have experienced. It requires a leap of faith. That's the bad news.

The good news is that when LRT is properly implemented, such as in Calgary, it can be a great success. People get used to the technology, like it, and start wondering why they can't get that for *their* neighbourhood. Calgary and Edmonton are expanding their LRTs, with the KW LRT likely to be expanded after launch. If properly implemented in a timely fashion, I think the Eglinton Crosstown can 'break down the door' on public acceptance of LRT, and people like Ford will be ultimately discredited as their hyped-up fears won't be matched by reality that people experience.

This is my first substantive post, and I hope it matches the level of elucidation I have seen here (for the most part). I am very excited about the possibilities of LRT, and I am very glad to find out I am not the only one. If it would speed things along, I would bring a pick and shovel and help construction myself, if I could.

I think you're selling Torontonians far too short... As a planner, I'm so tired of people making excuses or acting like it's because people are uneducated. As history has shown us, even planners and engineers have been wrong in the past (Jane Jacobs). Sometimes people just like what they like :p

I had written a long-winding rant, but i'm so tired of this ongoing analysis of the "why" when talking about LRT's lack of acceptance in certain parts. Sometimes decisions DO have to be taken out of civilian hands and done in an un-biased and scientific manner. This is how it's done in many places around the world.

The underground section, yes. The at-grade section, it depends how they will package it. St. Clair vs. viva vs. C-train/Confederation line stations . We keep saying LRT is not second class transit. But it looks like the at-grade sections in Toronto will be build to look like "second class" (tram stops).

Well, if you believe that any station without staff, elevators, escalators and fare gates is 2nd class, then yeah the surface stops are 2nd class by that definition.

At the risk of repeating what has probably been said 100 times, if you're looking at speed, frequency, reliability, a high quality ride and high levels of service, then LRT isn't 2nd class.

We don't really know what the stops will look like in detail yet, but it's true the surface stops aren't as elaborate as the underground ones. However, this also means they are much cheaper to build, operate and maintain.

Back