News   Jul 16, 2024
 232     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 361     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

What does the TBM tracker "job" involve anyways. I hope it's more than calling the guys in the TBM to see where they're at. If that's it then I'd gladly do it for free. I think I have 45 seconds to spare every day.

It would be awesome, purely from a transit geek perspective, if the TBM tracker would be updated daily. Anyone have connections at Metrolinx?

What does the TBM tracker "job" involve anyways. I hope it's more than calling the guys in the TBM to see where they're at. If that's it then I'd gladly do it for free. I think I have 45 seconds to spare every day.

Dan Arielly, a behavioural economist, has written about this in his book "Predictably Irrational". Basically, when you take an activity that people do willingly and passionately for free and pay people to do it, the passion to do that job goes out the window. You begin to think of it as a task, rather than as something fun, and you do it grudgingly.

Also, it's probably likely that the TTC hired the student because he/she aced the interview, and not his/her passion for public transit. I always thought that HR interview questions for students ("tell me a time you encountered a difficulty in your job and what you did to address it?"; "what are your strengths and weaknesses?") seem to screen out the most passionate, interested and creative students.

Dan Arielly, a behavioural economist, has written about this in his book "Predictably Irrational". Basically, when you take an activity that people do willingly and passionately for free and pay people to do it, the passion to do that job goes out the window. You begin to think of it as a task, rather than as something fun, and you do it grudgingly.

Also, it's probably likely that the TTC hired the student because he/she aced the interview, and not his/her passion for public transit. I always thought that HR interview questions for students ("tell me a time you encountered a difficulty in your job and what you did to address it?"; "what are your strengths and weaknesses?") seem to screen out the most passionate, interested and creative students.
There goes that as a dream job. The TTC lacks creativity or passion. It seems very cold. They need to be open to hiring more creative minds. The TTC is becoming more creative, but is still bland.

I wish. If I were hired, I would be tracking the movement of the TBMs each day.

If I were hired I would release the "secret" report that says that elevated transit was the preferred option. I would also look around and try to find that Memo from Transportation Minister Wynne that told Metrolinx to bury the report since they wanted to go in a different direction.:)

Getting to conspiracy levels of hatred about the lack of an elevated LRT here I see.

ueWTEkp.png

Glad to know that we're almost two stations in. It's a pity though that such a wide stopless gap exists between Westside Mall and Dufferin.

Getting to conspiracy levels of hatred about the lack of an elevated LRT here I see.

Just like there are those who believe that Ford has only used illegal drugs once, there are those that believe that politics has not interfered with the transit decisions made by Metrolinx.

If I were hired I would release the "secret" report that says that elevated transit was the preferred option. I would also look around and try to find that Memo from Transportation Minister Wynne that told Metrolinx to bury the report since they wanted to go in a different direction.:)

To be fair what BurlOak suggested isn't impossible at all. At one point Metrolinx did suggest elevating Eglinton East and it looks like it may have even been the preferred option among ML staff. The fact that the elevated option wasn't even suggested in any ML report probably suggests that somewhere along the line they were told not to investigate it by one of the higher ups. It's this exact same type of meddling that got the TTC's scathing review of Sheppard's performance buried by politicians at City Hall (before someone leaked it).

The people at ML aren't stupid. ML knew that elevation was an option. The fact that elevation hasn't been given so much as a passing mention in any ML report is not incidental.

Last edited:
Glad to know that we're almost two stations in. It's a pity though that such a wide stopless gap exists between Westside Mall and Dufferin.

Well if the stop had actually been at Caledonia or at least 1 entrance (don;t remember if there is one there or not), it is 900 meters between Caledonia and Dufferin along Eglinton. This is walkable. If you live in the middle you would either go to Caledonia or to Dufferin which makes it a 450 metres eitherway. If you then live east of the midway point you walk to the Dufferin stop and if live west of the midway point walk to Caledonia making eitherway less than a 450 metre walk

My parents live off a street that also runs east / west and intersects Dufferin and Caledonia. Its a 7 min walk from Dufferin to the street they live on and if you continue walking about another 8 to 10 min will get you to Caledonia.

There is an entrance on the east side of the rail line IIRC, not directly at Caledonia but close. Its one of those small entrances with a thousand flights of stairs to get to track level though. Caledonia is quite a deep station.

I don't think so. The lights are far enough apart that it can easily run like the Calgary LRT. there are 9 lights to the Future Renforth Terminal, 2 of which can probably be eliminated. That makes less than 1 light per km.

Should Eglinton West be elevated?

In my opinion, no. The main advantage of elevated is skipping the traffic lights, however, driving on Eglinton along that route you rarely hit many red lights anyways.

I'd think that the elevated stations would require elevators and escalators, and require TTC staff. A surface stop would be much cheaper, it would be like the St Clair or Spadina stops, a simple shelter with some ticketing machines, no staff required. This seems appropriate since I don't think the stations along Eglinton West will get a huge amount of ridership.

Back