News   Jul 26, 2024
 626     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Ohh god, ONE condo. Jesus, I'm sure no other city on earth has had to avoid one condo in a barren wasteland. Better start plans on building a tunnel system 150m below street level to avoid that.

So I suppose you'd have the ROW make a nice sharp bend around this building then, if you're one of the guys in favour of putting it in the expressway lands. However, immediately to the north of the condo are older apartment buildings, so there isn't any room, and if you put it to the south, you'd have to re-align Eglinton. The more I think about it, the happier I am that the planners insisted on putting the LRT ROW in the middle of the street. The trench idea that's been floating around here would be unnecessary and awkward. Fill up the expressway lands with buildings, including a real retail strip inspired by the successful built form of our pre-war commercial streets. Yeah I know, never gonna happen in this city.

There is a pipeline under the Richview right-of-way in Etobicoke for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. I hope that they will be putting that pipeline (and others) into consideration before they start construction. What other hidden problems could cause delays? Forgotten graveyards? Old gas station fuel tanks? Trees that have to be transplanted? Trillium plants?

^ I am not sure, perhaps the TTC should ask Calgary why they have moved from median construction to side construction on their latest LRT project. They must have some pretty good reasons.

^ I am not sure, perhaps the TTC should ask Calgary why they have moved from median construction to side construction on their latest LRT project. They must have some pretty good reasons.

I'm sure the TTC regards Calgary as a two-bit transit player and would never take advice from them. Especially when it comes to LRT.

I'm sure the TTC regards Calgary as a two-bit transit player and would never take advice from them. Especially when it comes to LRT.

I hear their LRT system has stations and goes fast, savages! When will they learn that antiquated concepts like speed or cost are irrelevant next to Avenueization potential!

So I suppose you'd have the ROW make a nice sharp bend around this building then, if you're one of the guys in favour of putting it in the expressway lands. However, immediately to the north of the condo are older apartment buildings, so there isn't any room

A parking lot is to the north of that building, not the bloody Taj Mahal.

I hear their LRT system has stations and goes fast, savages! When will they learn that antiquated concepts like speed or cost are irrelevant next to Avenueization potential!

Don't forget we should learn to love life like the Europeans do, and walk more slowly, drive more slowly, and enjoy the scenic views that our slow-moving tram provides, gazing wistfully out the window waiting for streetside cafés to sprout up like mushrooms after a rain.

So I suppose you'd have the ROW make a nice sharp bend around this building then, if you're one of the guys in favour of putting it in the expressway lands. However, immediately to the north of the condo are older apartment buildings, so there isn't any room, and if you put it to the south, you'd have to re-align Eglinton. The more I think about it, the happier I am that the planners insisted on putting the LRT ROW in the middle of the street. The trench idea that's been floating around here would be unnecessary and awkward. Fill up the expressway lands with buildings, including a real retail strip inspired by the successful built form of our pre-war commercial streets. Yeah I know, never gonna happen in this city.

Hmmmmm. Re-align the street in a couple of spots or tear up the entire street for several years along the entire stretch? That's a tough one.

The display panels for the September 2nd open house are now available for downloading in PDF format from this link.

There are 5 route options from Martin Grove to Pearson International Airport:
  1. Eglinton Avenue/Commerce Blvd./Convair Drive/Silver Dart Drive
  2. Eglinton Avenue/Commerce Blvd./Convair Drive/Carlingview Drive/Dixon Road
  3. Eglinton Avenue/Renforth Drive/Silver Dart Drive
  4. Eglinton Avenue/Renforth Drive/Carlingview Drive/Dixon Road
  5. Eglinton Avenue/Hwy 27/Dixon Road

Silver Dart station is a complete waste. What can you build at the end of a runway? Route 2 with the removal of Silver Dart station makes the most sense to me. At Dixon there is potential to serve something, at Silver Dart there is nothing. It seems to me they are fudging the numbers to approve Route 1. Why would Route 1 be the same speed at Route 4? Why can't the GO / BRT interface that hasn't even started construction occur at Renforth?

I like Route 3 because it seems the most direct. The stop spacing is acceptable to me however. I just wish it wasn't stopping at red lights.

The LRT will be designed so that the light rail vehicles are able to average 22 km/h on
surface sections and 30 km/h in underground sections. (By comparison, the existing
subways average 30 km/h also.)

Routes 1 and 3 go along Silver Dart Drive and are too close to the runways of the airport to me. I would rather have them go along Carlingview Drive, like in routes 2 and 4, and would be on the east side of Hwy. 427 and more away from the runways. Of those two, route 2 would have an extra stop at Commerce Blvd. Forget about route 5.

Route 4 would be less expensive than route 2, but route 2 may provide a better connection with Mississauga Transit.

I think route 5 would be the best. Going along Highway 27 gives some opportunities for a faster leg up to Dixon Road, and a stop or two on Dixon Road could have some merit.

Routes 1-4 seem to waste a lot of time stopping in highway junctions and at the end of runways. Is there a reason why the Mississauga/GO busway must end at Renforth?

I'm not a big fan of the diversion all the way to Commerce Blvd preferring the east section of the Mississauga Busway to be extended to the Matheson and Eglinton intersection and the Eglinton LRT going from that point directly to Carlingview. If the LRT must connect to the busway at Commerce then at least they should serve more people on the trip from there to the airport as shown in the attached image.

Attachments

• Route2B.jpg
    Route2B.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 177
One thing to consider is that there are a significant number of employment sites on the west side of the airport. Particularly most of the Airport support services are located there while the passengers and airport service personnel are headed to the east side. If we want to capture as many airport employees as possible than an extension to the west side should be considered or, at minimum, an agreement with the airport that an employee shuttle be run from the station to the other side. The shuttle could also have the benefit of accessing the airport grounds and using the central tunnel to shorten the trip.

Back