News   Jul 25, 2024
 334     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 522     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 455     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It would be more along the lines of "Rapid Transit" and "Surface LRT", then "faster trains" and "slower trains"

I'm not saying this is the way it will be implemented, but rather the way that it should be implemented.

Saying "Rapid Transit" and "Surface LRT" isn't better than saying "train go fast" and "train go slow". It still makes the latter seem slower.

LRT is Rapid Transit. There is zero reason for it not to be listed as Rapid Transit.

Great way to confuse riders... But the map legend would be humorous. "Train go fast" on the bold line, "train go slow" on the thin line.

But in all seriousness, distinguishing between subway and surface LRT on maps could be disastrous from a political point of view. If the TTC wants people to believe that the LRTs are rapid transit (which they are), they should be represented similarly to subways. Whether or not they're on the map could be the difference between people viewing them as over glorified streetcars or as being just like subways, but on the street.

Actually, the MBTA rapid transit map does make a slight distinction between grade-separated and at-grade LRT: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

If you'll notice, you'll see that the Green Line line weight narrows slightly for at-grade branches, and the station dots are much closer together, with very few of them labelled. All grade-separated stations are labelled though.

There are portions of the regular subway lines that run on the surface, but those are not identified on the maps. Would the surface routes for the Eglinton LRT have to stop at intersections?

And which portions are these? The entire subway line is shown on the map (excluding yards etc...). Unless there's some kind of conspiracy to hide them from us... :eek:

The surface routes for ECLRT will have portions that run on signal priority. As good at it is, it is fair to assume that trains will have to occasionally stop. Which is why I'm hoping Metrolinx will eliminate some intersections along Eglinton. It is ridiculous to have a train with 400 passengers stop at an interesection to let an 4 cars through.

Saying "Rapid Transit" and "Surface LRT" isn't better than saying "train go fast" and "train go slow". It still makes the latter seem slower.

LRT is Rapid Transit. There is zero reason for it not to be listed as Rapid Transit.

LRT from Black Creek to Don Mills is rapid transit. Don Mills to Kennedy isn't. I think the first part can adopt subway like figures on maps, and the latter part can be a dashed line or something similar to distinguish the difference.

Actually, the MBTA rapid transit map does make a slight distinction between grade-separated and at-grade LRT: http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

If you'll notice, you'll see that the Green Line line weight narrows slightly for at-grade branches, and the station dots are much closer together, with very few of them labelled. All grade-separated stations are labelled though.

love how the unlimited transit pass price is $70. and some people want transit fares to go up to pay for all the transit expansions.

This could absolutely work. My concern is that certain people will convince themselves that they're riding "second class" transit if the lines are thinned. I've heard one too many people from Scarborough say this unfortunately. I know the thickness of the lines are an incredibly small issue, but they can have huge effects on how people perceive the transit they're riding.

LRT from Black Creek to Don Mills is rapid transit. Don Mills to Kennedy isn't. I think the first part can adopt subway like figures on maps, and the latter part can be a dashed line or something similar to distinguish the difference.

This is a classic debate.

As far as I'm concerned, Don Mills to Kennedy is RT. Even if it's very slow RT. I have yet to see the TTC or Metrolinx say otherwise.

Does anybody know if Metrolinx plans on removing stoplights along Eglinton. I strongly feel that stoplights such as Rosemont Drive and Ionview need to be removed. They hardly have any traffic and aren't worth stopping the LRT for.

For pedestrian crossings, I would recommend having crosswalks every 500m or so with lights indicating when it is safe to cross. 500m may be a little far to walk for some.

That can't be at-grade LRT though, because the legend calls it a subway.

;)

You may have just started a flame war, hahaha.

And yes Tiger Master, I believe doing the map the MBTA way may be a good way of resolving the issue. Label all grade-separated stops, but on at-grade lines, label only key stops, and place the dots closer together. That way people know that RT is there, but if they want to see absolutely every stop on that at-grade LRT line, look at the entire system map, or an individual line map.

Does anybody know if Metrolinx plans on removing stoplights along Eglinton. I strongly feel that stoplights such as Rosemont Drive and Ionview need to be removed. They hardly have any traffic and aren't worth stopping the LRT for.

One assumes the LRT might stop for the passengers standing on the platforms being built at Ionview.

One assumes the LRT might stop for the passengers standing on the platforms being built at Ionview.

Ionview was a poor example since there's a station there. Rosemount is a better example. It is a fairly low traffic intersection. I think it's unreasonable to have LRTs stop for traffic there, even with signal priority.

For pedestrian crossings, I would recommend having crosswalks every 500m or so with lights indicating when it is safe to cross. 500m may be a little far to walk for some.

This was recently on thecrosstown.ca website. I recall that there were 15 vehicle-LRT crossings in the 5.3 km between (east of) Don Mills to (east of) Ionview. I am not sure, but I think all of them had traffic lights.

This was recently on thecrosstown.ca website. I recall that there were 15 vehicle-LRT crossings in the 5.3 km between (east of) Don Mills to (east of) Ionview. I am not sure, but I think all of them had traffic lights.

Just took a Streetview trip.

The only ones I see are:
-Credit Union Drive
-Pudham Gate
-Simott Road
-Rosemont Drive

This list only includes streets that cross the track, with stoplights and that don't have any stations at them.

It was far fewer than expected, which is great news. I'm hoping Metrolinx eliminates the intersections from Eglinton. Judging by the amount of cars, they are fairly low traffic.

It also means that signal priority should be significantly easier to manage since they'll only be at stations (if Metrolinx removes the 4 previously mentioned stops), synchronizing arrival at stations shoudn't be too much of a challenge.

Is it yet known if the LRT will be using Stop Request, or will they be stopping at every station? Some on UT seem to think that the surface portion will use Stop Request while Metrolinx has given me the impression that the LRT will be stopping at all underground stations. However I doubt that they'll have implement two different systems on the underground and surface sections. Any thoughts?

The benefit of stopping at every station is that synchronizing signal priority so that two LRVs can pass (EB and WB) will be far easier.

Back