News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Better than spending years and years before hand. Work on that part of the line probably isn't going to start for a motet 2 years.

I thought part of what led to Ford's transit plan trouble with council was that it was too much of a problem to tunnel under the Don.

My understanding is that the main trouble would be tunneling under East Don. They are not doing that anyway.

They only want to tunnel under West Don, and that might be easier (although I am a bit surprised that they rejected the surface south-of-the-road option).

Anyway, full grade separation between Yonge and Don Mills makes a lot of sense, and will allow more frequent service on that busy section.

Another problem with fords plan if I remember correctly was crossing the DVP, as there is no bridge to support a tunnelled line. The current plan is to have it run on the existing bridge.

I don't think this is driven by cost. It's going to cost more. It's driven by capacity issues. We're just not used to genuine planning issues influencing planning.

That's a good question. One thing that this opens up the possibility for is a redesign of Don Mills Station (if it's deeper, it will have to be redesigned). Given Metrolinx's recent announcement regarding the DRL, this may provide a good excuse to design a fully integrated intermodal facility, so the DRL can just be 'plugged in' when built, as opposed to having to be shoehorned in into a less than optimal connection.
Need it be deeper? It's got a good distances still to drop deep enough. And who knows how deep it will be; perhaps it will still be a bridge over the Don River, but not as high, and not in the centre of the road - perhaps more like the Sheppard subway bridge over the Don River.

Maybe have the Eglinton platform as a deep platform, with a future perpendicular DRL platform directly above it?

Wasn't the original design relatively deeper anyways, with it designed so the north-south (subway, LRT, whatever) platform was shallower? I'd have to dig through the old plans.

How much would grade separating the Don Mills to Kennedy portion cost? At this point the at grade portion is so tiny that elevating (or burying) Don Mills to Kennedy just makes sense. Especially since we will essentially be doubling capacity on the line.

How much would grade separating the Don Mills to Kennedy portion cost? At this point the at grade portion is so tiny that elevating (or burying) Don Mills to Kennedy just makes sense. Especially since we will essentially be doubling capacity on the line.
The cost of the Finch West and Sheppard East lines basically. That would add a few expensive underground stations - which would also increase operating costs.

Even if it would increase capacity, increased capacity isn't needed - particularly on this section. I wouldn't be surprised if there was less service between Don Mills Road and Kennedy station.

Tiny? 5.5 kilometres is tiny now? That's the same distance as a Pape to Queen DRL alignment. The difference in cost would be at least a billion dollars.

It's important no note that the crosstown will only be crossing 7 intersection at this point. The new tunnel drops it from 8.

It's important no note that the crosstown will only be crossing seven intersection at this point. The new tunnel drops it from 8.
7? Without looking at the detailed plans, I'm only seeing five. These are Bermondsey, Victoria Park, Pharmacy, Warden and Birchmount. What are the other two? I assume that some minor intersections would be converted so you couldn't cross the median, such as Swift, Lebovic, Ionview, etc. And I assume that you wouldn't be able to turn left from Eglinton directly to Eglinton Square, but would turn at Pharmacy or Victoria Park instead.

I'm also not necessarily seeing one dropped, as the "dropped" intersection is Leslie, and because it was a T-Junction, they could have eliminated it without tunnelling, without much difficulty.

I counted Credit Union /Swift, as well as Lebovic. I think all the other intersections will be cut off. If those will not me intersections, please tell me, as I have not taken a look at the detailed plans for it. I just assumed they would be level crossings..

Does anyone know if orange is going to be the final colour for Eglinton on the future route maps? I remember when Sheppard was under construction they were already showing it in purple.

If orange isn't the final colour, how is it decided? Does city council vote on it or what?

As for the change to making some portions more grade separated, I'm happy with that. I do wish the non-tunnelled portions were elevated though. Although I guess we'll see how well Eglinton works this way.

Back