News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

In the end I am beginning to think the cheapest way to fix our transit issues is to redirect businesses to places we want growth through reduced taxes. SO for instance if they reduce the taxes to 905 levels at yonge and Eglinton then alot of new businesses will end up somewhere we are planning transit. The same goes for yonge and Sheppard. If you reduce taxes enough that businesses start to move in at yonge and sheppard the sheppard line starts to make more and more sense. PLus Torontonians stop losing these businesses to the 905. I wouls put dundas west in this category as well since its served by a subway and potentially 2 GO train lines.
Was that the case before amalgamation? Somehow I think if amalgamation didn't happen, Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke would still be luring business away from the downtown core with some sort of tax incentives.

In the end I am beginning to think the cheapest way to fix our transit issues is to redirect businesses to places we want growth through reduced taxes. SO for instance if they reduce the taxes to 905 levels at yonge and Eglinton then alot of new businesses will end up somewhere we are planning transit. The same goes for yonge and Sheppard. If you reduce taxes enough that businesses start to move in at yonge and sheppard the sheppard line starts to make more and more sense. PLus Torontonians stop losing these businesses to the 905. I wouls put dundas west in this category as well since its served by a subway and potentially 2 GO train lines.

That's a pretty good choice of locations to promote business growth.

As well, only every second train would have run past Brentcliffe/Don Mills. They weren't planning for better than 5 or 6 minute service east of the tunnelled section because the passenger loads didn't require it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Actually it makes a huge difference whether the turn-back point is Don Mills or Brentcliffe.

Don Mills is a natural hub, as several passengers flows converge there:

1) Eglinton westbound
2) Lawrence westbound (since Lawrence avenue is not continuous between Leslie and Bayview, and buses run via Eglinton)
3) From the densely populated Flemmington Park community towards Yonge
4) Transfers from Don Mills towards Yonge / Eglinton

Trains turning back at Don Mills will get quite a few riders boarding them.

In contrast, Brentcliffe is just a minor stop. If half of trains turn back there, they will run almost empty till Yonge, while trains serving the Kennedy branch will do almost all of work.

Actually it makes a huge difference whether the turn-back point is Don Mills or Brentcliffe.

1) Eglinton westbound
2) Lawrence westbound (since Lawrence avenue is not continuous between Leslie and Bayview, and buses run via Eglinton)

In contrast, Brentcliffe is just a minor stop. If half of trains turn back there, they will run almost empty till Yonge, while trains serving the Kennedy branch will do almost all of work.

I agree, I have always thought that the intersection with leslie should be grade separated so all the service could make it to don mills, plus it would avoid having to build underground storage and crossover tracks at brentcliffe.

I agree, I have always thought that the intersection with leslie should be grade separated so all the service could make it to don mills, plus it would avoid having to build underground storage and crossover tracks at brentcliffe.

Exactly. Moreover, there are ways to build the line as fully grade separated between Brentcliffe and Don Mills without going entirely underground.

1) Eglinton westbound

The same reason that Jane would be a better terminal than Black Creek or even Keele. The Jane bus has a higher ridership than the Keele bus so would also supply more riders.

The same reason that Jane would be a better terminal than Black Creek or even Keele. The Jane bus has a higher ridership than the Keele bus so would also supply more riders.

Good point WK... Its why I wanted at least Jane all along.

HOw about ...
In Median stops - Pearson, Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, Scarlette, Jane
Underground stops - Weston, Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West, Bathurst, Chaplain, Avenue, Yonge, Mount pleasent, Bayview, Laird, Leslie,
Elevated - Don mills, wynford, bermondsey, victoria park, warden, birchmount, kennedy

Good point WK... Its why I wanted at least Jane all along.

HOw about ...
In Median stops - Pearson, Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, Scarlette, Jane
Underground stops - Weston, Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West, Bathurst, Chaplain, Avenue, Yonge, Mount pleasent, Bayview, Laird, Leslie,
Elevated - Don mills, wynford, bermondsey, victoria park, warden, birchmount, kennedy

1. Why would the West end be in the median. The whole idea is that there is room in the ROW on the north for at grade or trenched. You may need an elevated portion to cross 401 and get to the airport.

2. Jane may be elevated since it is partially in the valley. Some connection/station to Jane bus/LRT also needed.

3. I think Leslie elevated (maybe only partially) on the South side of road alignment is preferred to underground. Tunneling through the CPR embankment may also be possible.

4. Don Mills could be underground - in the Science Center parking lot. This would also have to support a DRL terminal station and Don Mills bus or LRT connection.

5. Can the Kennedy RT station be re-used for the Eglinton Crosstown?

Weston Road would be perfect. There is absolutely nothing, nor will there ever be anything, in the Eglinton Flats besides sports fields.

What you need to do is re-imagine the 35 Jane Bus. A short diversion via Eglinton, Weston and back to route would not be a big deal, and would connect to a Mount Dennis GO Station. Perhaps Route 35 could be split into two: 35 Jane North and 155 Jane South. The remainder of Route 32 could become 32 Eglinton West and 152 Emmett (or replaced an extension of the 73B). Weston/Black Creek would be a terminal for 32, 35, 71, 161, the 152/73B, as well as serving route 89 (and 35 if it runs as is) from the street.

1. Why would the West end be in the median. The whole idea is that there is room in the ROW on the north for at grade or trenched. You may need an elevated portion to cross 401 and get to the airport.

Once again - the ROW on the north side of Eglinton will soon be 4 m wide - Mr Ford is selling the city land west of Islington. I think for this and all the other reasons we need to forget about a west extension of the LRT. Ever.

1) Eglinton westbound

You're absolutely right, Don Mills would be a far more logical turn-back point. The planners hadn't decided on whether it was going to be possible under the original EA however, as the line was going to have to pass through the intersection of Leslie and Eglinton, and there was some concern about whether the traffic levels would allow all it to work.

I will however disagree with your contention that trains turning back at Brentcliffe will run "almost empty" until Yonge. Considering how many people take the bus now, it would not be a stretch to see every train filled by Yonge in the mornings.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

5. Can the Kennedy RT station be re-used for the Eglinton Crosstown?

No and we shouldn't. IIRC there will be a new LRT platform constructed at the mezzanine level with a junction joining it to the SRT.

Once again - the ROW on the north side of Eglinton will soon be 4 m wide - Mr Ford is selling the city land west of Islington. I think for this and all the other reasons we need to forget about a west extension of the LRT. Ever.

I think it's time to start contacting councilors again.

Come on. There is no reason to permanently keep a totally artificial linear transfer at Weston or Jane, if the chosen technology (LRT) can operate in the street median. Using the Richview corridor on the north side of Eglinton may be a preferred option; but if it is gone, let's continue in the street median and get direct service to Etobicoke and the airport.

You're absolutely right, Don Mills would be a far more logical turn-back point. The planners hadn't decided on whether it was going to be possible under the original EA however, as the line was going to have to pass through the intersection of Leslie and Eglinton, and there was some concern about whether the traffic levels would allow all it to work.

Passing through that intersection is a nontrivial tasks, but several options are available. Unfortunately, the original EA did not consider any of them; it selected a one-size-fits-all median solution for all surface sections.

They really should consider the following alternatives:

1) A separate bridge over West Don, just south of the existing bridge. That completely avoids any conflict with general traffic; will cost more than the original EA but certainly less than tunneling.

2) Using 2 southern lanes of Eglinton between Laird and the Don Mills portal, instead of 2 middle lanes. The cost would be almost same as per the original EA, although provisions would have to be made for the pedestrian access at Leslie, and for the lightly used Celestica ramps just east of the CPR bridge.

3) At the very least, they can use 2 middle lanes, but split the through Eglinton eastbound lanes and the left-turn lanes before the portal. So, the Eglinton's layout just west of Leslie will look like this (starting from the north):
- Two westbound lanes
- One or two eastbound lanes for cars turning left to Leslie
- Two LRT lanes
- Two eastbound through lanes
The portal would have to be moved about 200 m east of Laird. With that layout, cars traveling eastbound and turning left to Leslie do not conflict with LRT; and obviously the through traffic does not conflict with LRT. The only flow that conflicts with LRT will be Leslie cars turning left to Eglinton eastbound; that's only 1 out of 3 phases and probably not a very long one.

Last edited:
Come on. There is no reason to permanently keep a totally artificial linear transfer at Weston or Jane, if the chosen technology (LRT) can operate in the street median. Using the Richview corridor on the north side of Eglinton may be a preferred option; but if it is gone, let's continue in the street median and get direct service to Etobicoke and the airport.

The phase 1 terminal should be at Jane. Later, after Ford, then we will extending it to the airport. If it will be above ground it would be constructed faster than if constructed underground or in a trench, but again the decisions will be AF (after Ford).

Back