News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 424     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

id be happy with the new plan plus on the side of the road or the trench from jane to the airport.

It would be interesting to see a cost analysis on the difference between the tunnel and the other method of grade separation that they choose, and to see how much further west they can push the line with the same amount of money.

If the province will be subject to MAJOR cuts in its 2012 budget, one area the province may look to cut is transit capital works, such as putting ALL of the Eglinton Crosstown underground. And no money for a Sheppard Subway from the province, unless they go for something less expensive, like an LRT.

Toronto should make the Eglinton a PPP to get some private money flowing and tap into the federal PPP infrastructure fund, get the feds to transfer the $300 million for Sheppard over to Eglinton, and elevate the line down Easy Eglinton and use the new/saved money to have one continous route from STC to Pearson using elevation and the hydro corridor in the West Eglinton/Etobiko sections.

Toronto should make the Eglinton a PPP to get some private money flowing and tap into the federal PPP infrastructure fund, get the feds to transfer the $300 million for Sheppard over to Eglinton, and elevate the line down Easy Eglinton and use the new/saved money to have one continous route from STC to Pearson using elevation and the hydro corridor in the West Eglinton/Etobiko sections.

DRL PPP thats it please.

The province should force ford to agree to above ground LRT to Pearson in order to avoid budget cuts.

I do not think that the West stretch was even funded before Ford took over. We would be lucky if we maintain the funding that we have to complete Eglinton from Laird to Kennedy.

With the save Transit City crowd making noise I could see the Province cutting money for the Eglinton LRT and only funding the central portion. The left would be happy since it would stop the Ford plan of grade separation in the East. The Liberals may be able to save money but cutting transit (which they did a couple of years ago as well), and still appeal to the left as the party of public transit.

I do not think that the West stretch was even funded before Ford took over. We would be lucky if we maintain the funding that we have to complete Eglinton from Laird to Kennedy.

With the save Transit City crowd making noise I could see the Province cutting money for the Eglinton LRT and only funding the central portion. The left would be happy since it would stop the Ford plan of grade separation in the East. The Liberals may be able to save money but cutting transit (which they did a couple of years ago as well), and still appeal to the left as the party of public transit.
That probably is the best option right now.

That probably is the best option right now.

And orphaning the SRT again? How is that the best option by any stretch of the imagination? I'd rather have at- or above-grade grade separation in the eastern section over tunneling if it got the line built. Hell, even at-grade would be better than that section being cut entirely. But with Ford he won't want it at-grade anyway. So it's either tunneled, nothing or some other grade separated solution. Nothing is the WORST of those three possibilities.

And orphaning the SRT again? How is that the best option by any stretch of the imagination? I'd rather have at- or above-grade grade separation in the eastern section over tunneling if it got the line built. Hell, even at-grade would be better than that section being cut entirely. But with Ford he won't want it at-grade anyway. So it's either tunneled, nothing or some other grade separated solution. Nothing is the WORST of those three possibilities.

How are you in support at grade seperation in the eastern section of Eglinton but you are against a Sheppard Subway conversion to LRT and a extension to STC. If your main goal was to get lines "BUILT" then I cant see why you would be against this option since its cheaper when you factor getting to Downsview and to STC.

^ Sheppard Subway conversion to LRT is expensive ($670 million per Metrolinx estimates). Furthermore, if you want to extend that line as LRT towards Downsview, note that it cannot be all at grade. Sheppard West is too narrow between Yonge and the West Don bridge, so you will need about 1.5 km of tunneling even if it is LRT.

If you add $1.2B for the original SELRT plan, $670 million for conversion, and perhaps $600 million for the partly tunneled LRT between Yonge and Downsview, the total cost approaches $2.5B.

If we have that much extra money to spend on transit expansion, I can suggest a number of better uses for those funds (either in the Sheppard corridor or elsewhere).

How are you in support at grade seperation in the eastern section of Eglinton but you are against a Sheppard Subway conversion to LRT and a extension to STC. If your main goal was to get lines "BUILT" then I cant see why you would be against this option since its cheaper when you factor getting to Downsview and to STC.

The key word being "separation". I have no problem with the Crosstown running at-grade as long as it's fully separated (i.e. no traffic lights, whether that be that it ducks under roads or is elevated above, I don't care--as long as it runs like a subway).

Sheppard Subway conversion to LRT was never seriously considered, nor would any politician touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Sheppard Subway is subway. Deal with it.

It's too late to change Eglinton to subway and Sheppard to LRT. Sad to say the City (Lastman, Harris, Miller, Ford) has screwed everything up so completely it's pretty much beyond repair and we can do what we can. It's amazing the City functions as well as it does based on the miniscule transportation that does exist for a city its size.

signal changes as the LRT approaches the lights to ensure it can continue as a subway should ensure that it is run like a subway.

signal changes as the LRT approaches the lights to ensure it can continue as a subway should ensure that it is run like a subway.

If it crosses general traffic without some kind of barrier (even crossing arms), there's a limit on how many cars each train can have. That has a huge effect on capacity, especially if the ECLRT and SLRT are going to run as a through-line, because then that capacity will be needed.

And you can bet your ass that if crossing arms are even mentioned, Rob Ford is going to throw a hissy fit from the drivers seat of his SUV.

Back