News   Jul 25, 2024
 636     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 628     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 486     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Except that's not how it works in Europe. You go to cities like Berlin, Tokyo, Madrid, and even Sydney , and they have extensive highway networks, even moreso than what we have here in Toronto. The reason why Transit has such a high marketshare then is because transit in these cities IS COMPETITIVE WITH THE CAR. I can take the U-Bahn in Berlin, and comfortably get from one side of the city to the next with barely any issues. Meanwhile in Toronto we're building subpar Light Rail lines that stop at every red light, and that ultimately don't show any advantage over the car. People don't take the car because they're stubborn, people take the car because most of the time its the best and most convenient option.
Also It's because Toronto was built around the car. So it's always going to be the king of the road. We must remember that our government LOVES to drag their heels when it comes to building better/more transit in favor of cars. Because of this, Toronto is now playing a 30 year catch up game with the rest of the world, and it doesn't help that we lack transit options as well, resulting in the attractiveness to get a car in the first place and to get places faster while clogging up our highways in return.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Amsterdam is much older than Toronto.

Amsterdam was incorporated as a city as early as 1300, which is over half a millennium before York was incorporated as Toronto in 1834.
Age doesn't really affect the size of the city. HK is a newer than TO. Then there is many great ancient cities that became deserted. Dubai wasn't much beyond a tiny settlement till oil became important. A city could be receive a complete facelift in a matter of 20-30 years.

A nationalized subway policy can make constructing new subways very cheap like you can see in many countries in Europe - or in the poster child of national-scale efficiency China. Economies of scale at a national level would make creating new infrastructure very efficient. Tunnel boring machines/gantry cranes could be shared between cities/projects. Experienced workers would go on straight to the next construction site when they finish their current one instead of going to a condo site. And modular station designs can be reused to fit whatever locale the station sits in.
One can dream...

And to think they were supposed to open the line this year. I don't really get what they're bragging about
tbf this was before they found out that eglinton had major geo tech problems.
then again their surveying kinda dropped the ball 10 yrs ago.

I'm not optimistic about next year's opening of the line. There is no way they will finish building and testing the station in 1.5 years

Like I said earlier, they should open what they can as early as possible, for free, while the whole line is finished.

Give people something, and get all the bugs worked out with real case usages

For free because without the key stations like Eglinton West/Eglinton-Yonge, its not a very useful line.

But the sooner we get things working the sooner we can see where there are problems to be fixed etc.

The O-Train ran for over a year of testing, and when it opened was a disaster of problems.

Theres nothing like real-life usage to work out issues.

Like I said earlier, they should open what they can as early as possible, for free, while the whole line is finished.

Give people something, and get all the bugs worked out with real case usages
The contract with Crosslinx mandates them to open it all at once. If they start tinkering with the contract, I'm sure Crosslinx would demand more money.

Back