News   Jun 25, 2024
 99     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 770     2 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 522     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Rough guide, based on TYSSE: When we begin seeing interior shots with the escalators roughed in, we are two years from opening. Nothing is magic about escalators, other than, innirder to put them in, the station shell has to be pretty much complete.
All it takes is one station to fall behind, and the line can’t open. It’s hard to find one that is “out of the gate” at this point.

- Paul
Not necessarily. When the Buffalo LRT was being built in the 80s the underground portion was delayed to they open the above ground portion first in 1984 before opening the underground portion in 1986. The Crosstown could do the same depending on how fast the surface section can be built.

Rough guide, based on TYSSE: When we begin seeing interior shots with the escalators roughed in, we are two years from opening. Nothing is magic about escalators, other than, innirder to put them in, the station shell has to be pretty much complete.
All it takes is one station to fall behind, and the line can’t open. It’s hard to find one that is “out of the gate” at this point.

- Paul
Hypothetically, as long as there's track laid through the whole tunnel, couldn't they just open certain stations before the others? Even if the station finishes are still going in, the train could just skip that station until it's complete. Obviously less than ideal, but would be better to have something than nothing.

That station will probably be Yonge which makes opening part of the line less useful.

Hopefully it's only a bit late, and not Amsterdam Centraal late.

- Paul
To be fair, the Crosstown stations will not be as 'grand' as TYSSE

To be fair, the Crosstown stations will not be as 'grand' as TYSSE

That’s true, but they contain all the same system components (at smaller scale, to be sure). Ventilation, electrical, escalators/elevators, and so forth. None of those can get started until the basic shell is complete and those work crews (and their heavy equipment, scaffolds, cranes, etc) are out of the way. I suspect the HVAC installation for a Crosstown station won’t be all that quicker or less complex than for a subway station. Ditto for elevators, escalators, fire protection, etc.
These systems are what will take time, not the final finishes or installation of public art - which certainly will be less than TYSSE.
I can’t see starting service by skipping unfinished stations....things like emergency exits and lighting will have to be in place. Can’t evacuate a train through a construction site in an emergency. Sure, finishes etc might be postponed, but a lot of stuff has to be there on day one.

- Paul

Keesedale made drastic changes in one year time so I don't see how the other stations wouldn't be able to make those same drastic changes as well. Really it's the interchange stations that should have people concerned. Eglinton should be excevated by the end of the year start the process of building up if they wanna stay on time imo.

After riding Ottawa's LRT I really do regret the lack of full grade separation, in particular to Science Centre. Perhaps the sections will be split in the future depending on how operations work out . . .

The LRT in the vicinity of the Science Centre is grade separated.
crosstown-map.jpg

From link. The LRT station at Kennedy will also be underground as per link.

The LRT in the vicinity of the Science Centre is grade separated.
crosstown-map.jpg

From link. The LRT station at Kennedy will also be underground as per link.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the awkward stretch that runs at grade between Laird and Science Centre. I remember Metrolinx thought about cancelling the station there and just run the tunnel all the way to Science Centre, but residents near Sunnybrook weren't fond of the idea.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the awkward stretch that runs at grade between Laird and Science Centre. I remember Metrolinx thought about cancelling the station there and just run the tunnel all the way to Science Centre, but residents near Sunnybrook weren't fond of the idea.

It's a case of "be careful of what you wish for, you might get it". They got a stop at Leslie Street, just not on the south side of the roadway, because they didn't ask for it specifically on the south side, just a stop?

As long as the passengers aren't exiting and entering from inbound traffic then I don't see the problem. Like the Spadina streetcar you are exiting and boarding from on coming traffic at some stops. On the crosstown you are boarding and exiting to an outdoor station separated from traffic. At the intersections I can see some issues but that can be avoid with signal priority as well

As it exists today there is only a single signalized intersection on that surface portion. I don’t imagine it’ll reduce travel times by all that much.

It'll just be a minute or two. Even if it's on the south side, speed limit would be restricted to whatever is posted on Eglinton. If the grade separated this section, lack of a station would mean a good 15-20 minute walk uphill in either directions.

Back