News   Jul 15, 2024
 170     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 540     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

A bit, certainly....but not so much to eliminate the overcrowding at the key transfer points.

There will be people coming to/from Scarborough, for instance, who will be able to come across Eglinton andU transfer to nort-south buses, who today have to ride Line 2 for that trip. But if one is headed downtown, Crosstown won’t help you bypass those key transfer spots.

- Paul
Unless there is frequent GO trains between Kennedy and Union on the Stouffville Line...

I doubt that, because the SRT could technically be operated driverless as it is in Vancouver, but the TTC has to this day opted to operate it with drivers.

The Crosstown is the property of the government so I believe that they can ultimately enforce how it is used by the TTC, who is being basically loaned the ability to run it.

This is also why the province wants to upload the subway, or at least one of the efficiencies. They will effectively fire the operators on Line 1 and tell the union to get stuffed. Its also one of the many reason why the province is changing the rules on suing them.

I need to go to Eglinton and Brentcliffe area this weekend. Does anyone know how bad the traffic is due to construction?

I need to go to Eglinton and Brentcliffe area this weekend. Does anyone know how bad the traffic is due to construction?

On weekends, the traffic is almost non-existant with the exception of a couple of key spots (Bayview, Allen). It's as if people are afraid to visit Eglinton for all the construction.

Dan

Does anyone think that maybe the Eglinton line might provide a bit of relief to the busy Bloor Danforth line?
A little bit but really even when the line opens, I would still use the Bloor Danforth Line. Besides line 2 isn't as overcrowed as line 1 so it'll still be fine

Does anyone think that maybe the Eglinton line might provide a bit of relief to the busy Bloor Danforth line?

I asked this question a while back and at least at that time the analysis was not done. I feel after the Crosstown is running for a bit enough users will transfer over to the Crosstown so they don't have to deal with the Bloor Danforth line. Advantages of the Crosstown include full cell phone signal, sun and I suspect it won't be crush like the Bloor Danforth. It would be better to get off the train to head downtown at Eglinton West then Eglinton, St George or Yonge/Bloor.

I asked this question a while back and at least at that time the analysis was not done. I feel after the Crosstown is running for a bit enough users will transfer over to the Crosstown so they don't have to deal with the Bloor Danforth line. Advantages of the Crosstown include full cell phone signal, sun and I suspect it won't be crush like the Bloor Danforth. It would be better to get off the train to head downtown at Eglinton West then Eglinton, St George or Yonge/Bloor.

The problem is that the Crosstown is north of where people want to go. If people want to go downtown they are not going across Eglinton and then south as doing so would add about 15 minutes to their commute. It is much faster and easier to take Line 2 when heading downtown.

Crosstown is only good for heading to Yonge if you are headed close to Yonge and Eglinton i.e. Yonge and Lawrence or Summerhill. It is out of the way if you are going Downtown.

Last edited:
The problem is that the Crosstown is north of where people want to go. If people want to go downtown they are not going across Eglinton and then south as doing so would add about 15 minutes to their commute. It is much faster and easier to take Line 2 when heading downtown.

Crosstown is only good for heading to Yonge if you are headed close to Yonge and Eglinton i.e. Yonge and Lawrence or Summerhill. It is out of the way if you are going Downtown.
The western section would have a number of rider using it head downtown. It's a pain to get downtown from Weston or Keelesdale. From Weston/Lawrence, it's 20-25 minute to either subway line. The Keele bus doesn't have a straight road to Line 2. I can see riders would be very attractive to the LRT. People who normally would take a north-south route would rather take one bus to the LRT than to transfer to a east-west route to Line 1.

On the east side, it won't be as popular. Riders at Kennedy will not benefit from it. If you're on the Warden or Victoria Park bus, you might as well go to Line 2. Buses move much faster between Eglinton and Line 2 on the east end than in the old Borough of York.

I think it will be popular too if Eglinton West is built as a subway. Travel time would be faster on the grade seperate portion of the LRT with no extra transfer plus more distance would be covered under subway-like transit.

^I can see it being very popular for people going from Kennedy to, say, York University.

For any begin/end point in the northwest of the city, it’s likely preferable to Line 2 as it will shorten the long bus ride north from Bloor.

For any begin/end point south of about St Clair, Line 2 will remain attractive, especially westbound where one has a chance of getting a seat on the subway at Kennedy.

For anyone currently taking the bus across Eglinton, it will be a better experience, but I’m not sold on those flexities as an experience that will pull people off the subway. Not really a superior ride over a long distance as a standee, even with the subway being as crowded as it gets. Totally subjective, I realise, and will depend on speed and load factor, and reliability.

- Paul

This is big, when Line 2 is down Toronto has no East-West rapid transit across the city. This will also be very helpful for the numerous subway closures which will inevitable when Line 2 gets ATC.

That's another reason why it's important that Line 5 actually opens in 2021, hopefully it doesn't get delayed cause then there will be a quite a bit of delays if Line 2 does eventually shut down on weekends for ATC.

That's another reason why it's important that Line 5 actually opens in 2021, hopefully it doesn't get delayed cause then there will be a quite a bit of delays if Line 2 does eventually shut down on weekends for ATC.
Did you miss the removal of ATC from Line 2/SSE? We're gonna be bumping along on steadily disimproving fixed block signals for a loooong time.

Back