Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

There's no attempt to accurately represent Sugar Beach, either.

If you're referring to the picture I'm not sure how true that is.

Sugar beach would be completely blocked by FWP in that picture.

There's going to be a sandy beach at the south west corner of the Corus / Sugar Beach quay, which the rendering doesn't capture.

http://waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4790b3409ee93.pdf

In general, the rendering shows a lakefront city extending south to meet the water, rather than consisting of a separate waterfront zone of iconic buildings surrounded by open space, which I think is a sensible and appropriately Torontonian approach - though perhaps not as exciting as some might crave.

I feel sorry for the poor schmucks who paid $40,000 for one of these berths east of Sherbourne Park.

Just seems like too much trouble to get the boat out into the harbour for a sail.

berth.jpg

Apologies to the other 3D (Spine).

In general, the rendering shows a lakefront city extending south to meet the water, rather than consisting of a separate waterfront zone of iconic buildings surrounded by open space, which I think is a sensible and appropriately Torontonian approach - though perhaps not as exciting as some might crave.

Why such extremes? I think most of us feel the city should extend south to the water, but that doesn't preclude at least one 'iconic' building. Pier-20-Whatever gives us 'chic condo' surrounded by open space so what's the difference?

Beautiful shot. Proof positive that blue sky (like today) can make an occasional cameo appearance in a snapshot.

I'm curious to see how the mechanical floors on Success will be resolved (the render had a flat mortar board hat rather than the terracing/layers seen in the pic).

I really like what they've done with the cladding on the St. James Cathedral's spire.

Seriously though, that rendering is inspiring. Once it's all built, and I say once not if, the density and scale of the area will be fantastic. Streetwalls, high density human-scaled midrise buildings, and what I can only imagine being a vibrant waterfront lined with patios and public space.

(didn't realize how far ahead this thread has moved, but I was referencing the big rendering by Spine 3D on page 68)

Last edited:

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Well it can't be both at the same time. Sensibly linking the waterfront to the rest of the city like this, by extending the existing streets south and building similar sorts of buildings to those found elsewhere, is appropriately Torontonian - and quite a different thing from a harbour consisting of open space with grandiose edifices scattered along it, which isn't our style at all because we're not Dubai or Shanghai.

True, but I'm not suggesting scattered edifices. As far as iconic monuments go less is always more ;) Somebody tell that to the French!

Back