Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Re: Miller Finally Speaks on the Project

Key word: "old". Look, by that standard, there's no hope that Toronto, or *any* contemporary North American city, can *ever* live up to "old" Paris. It's like expecting classical operettas from a universe of hip-hoppers. And it encases the Parisian experience in a tourist/elitist plastic bubble.

It has nothing to do with age. There are plenty of old buildings in cities around the world that aren't up to the Parisian standard. It's beside the point, though. I'm talking about Paris architecturally, though I also believe that the city is first-rate culturally despite what some might say, and much of that is in the banlieue, or at least the outer arrondissements.

Oh, and I guess I'm not part of the problem since I do shop at No Frills from time to time. They have cheap canned goods. Alas, I'm not quite in the financial segment for Fauchon.

Re: Public Process?

Exactly--now we're bringing things a little closer to par.

And as far as "par" goes, re Hume and all, I'm glad to see any debate on Project Symphony hinging upon its being simply overly humdrum and "safe" rather than its being outright vulgar and execrable. To get a bit of perspective here, it's where (and more emphatically so than at the 4SC) the generally praiseworthy Jack Diamond modus operandi reaches the limits of its competence. So this is what Mayor Miller dull decency gets you; but imagine if it were Mayor Mel suggesting a razzle-dazzle spectacular along the lines of the Famous Players Colossus in Vaughan...

synphony project

Politicians are politicians are politicians- ethics, design panels etc go out the window when it comes to rewarding and defending your friends and supporters. It's hard not to become cynical of the entire political process when things like this project happen. The hypocrisy of types like Miller and Diamond, who was quoted as saying that he supported Miller, wnen he first ran for mayor, because of his vlsion of creating a beautiful city, is breathtaking. Money and connections trump everything. No wonder people have stopped voting.

According to a source of mine, TEDCO is more responsible for this current mess (as an independent ABC) and there is little Miller can do without "bad optics".

AoD

public process

That may be the case but it seems to me that he could have said little or just sidelined himself in this process if his hands were so tied. However, based on Hume's article, he is taking a far more active role in pushing this project through so i have to wonder what his motivation is.

urbanvillageboy:

That's what got me as well - one thing is clear - we aren't getting the whole story from the media (or anywhere, period).

AoD

Re: public process

Alvin, I'm not too sure about what's going on either but here's my guess. If the design review panel is set up as a quasi-judicial tribunal, it would be improper for any member of that tribunal to pre-judge an applicant. Maybe that's all Miller is saying.

So Miller is for design review panels, but critical of them when they are against what he supports for political ends?

His credibility is leaking away quickly.

No Biz, that's not the way tribunals work. A panel member should not be forming (and expressing) an opinion based on preliminary drawingings outside of the panel process. The panel must be fair to the applicant and allow it to put its case forward. You can't have a panel member expressing an opinion on the application even before the matter is heard. If that happens, you have sure-fire ground for judicial review.

I am not sure this review panel is that quasi-judicial. I believe that it has no powers beyond providing suggestions (actually, now that it has been brought up, it may be an interesting topic for research/discussion).

Thanks alky, that's informative. It's clear from the above that a formal hearing process is envisioned. Since the decision of the panel can adversely affect the application, its members are required by law to afford applicants a fair process. It's certainly not proper for a panel member to be forming an opinion before the applicant and other parties have made their submissions. I think Miller is simply trying to ensure that these design review panels don't start off on the wrong foot. The last thing any of us want to see is their authority being undermined by the courts right off the bat.

I don't buy that arguement.

Miller talks a good game about respecting the public process, yet how can you ignore 5 years of public consultations, reports and city approval of the district plans? If he really wants the proposal to have a fair process, why must it be approved now in order for construction to start in July?

If anything, the Mayor is in a conflict of interest on this whole matter. While being a vocal supporter of the architect he also sits on the Waterfront Board. Is his loyality to TEDCO or to the TWRC?

LOuroz

It's to neither. His loyalty is to the city, obviously.

FM, your comments reveal your muddled thinking. It is not up to Miller to approve or turn down the application and he is not a member of the design review panel. So he's not in a conflict of interest. It's TEDCO, not Miller, who's pushing for this application. Enough with the Miller bashing. It's getting tedious.

Back