Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

Here are some shots from tonight. Detour was causing quite a lot of confusion with people pulling u-turns back down King in confusion. Don't think they did a good job on the signing of this one.

looking north at the the now closed confluence of bayview/king/river/queen

across the intersection at lower river with River City in the background.

looking down lower river at traffic heading northbound.

confused bmw driver turning about

Gratuitous and off topic pic of the TCHC foundation work at corner of King and Lower River

[video=youtube;Mg0H4a2ngG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg0H4a2ngG8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

Last edited:
Those asphalt paths with the sewer aren't complete yet are they ?
I'm guessing grass is still missing from the park.

Much of the park is covered in cedar shavings rather than grass. But it looks like they'll still be large grass sections eventually.

Wow, I can't believe how much has been completed; you'd never know just passing by. I also love that they're using brick paving in places, though I wish red brick had been used as a throwback to the days of red brick streets. I really wish we had more of our old brick paving intact.

I drove the extension today. I thought it was a nice and attractive road, clearly still a work in progress but you can see the potential it has. Once some more developments start filling in I think it'll be a nice part of town

I'm disappointed that the pavilion doesn't have much indoor space. It looks like it's just big enough for some washrooms. Since this park is intended to be used for winter activities like tobogganing, I think it needs some places people can warm up, especially mothers with their children. We have a climate that's cold almost half the year, so why don't we take that into consideration when building public amenities? Of course, if enough people demand it, it could be built at a later time but I am going to call Pam McConnell about it and hear what they have to say.

We have a climate that's cold almost half the year, so why don't we take that into consideration when building public amenities?

True say. A lot of Canadian architects are painfully in denial about the climate here a lot of the time.

I'm disappointed that the pavilion doesn't have much indoor space. It looks like it's just big enough for some washrooms. Since this park is intended to be used for winter activities like tobogganing, I think it needs some places people can warm up, especially mothers with their children. We have a climate that's cold almost half the year, so why don't we take that into consideration when building public amenities? Of course, if enough people demand it, it could be built at a later time but I am going to call Pam McConnell about it and hear what they have to say.

During the planning and public meetings for this park and pavilion the possibility of enclosed space at the pavilion was raised but was rejected, as far as I can remember, due to fear of vandalism, overnight sleeping etc etc. It is a Waterfront Toronto project (though will eventually be run by the City) so you might want to talk to WT about your concerns. As you say it would seem possible to enclose part of the pavilion (without spoiling its great architecture) at a later date.

Biked down and around Bayview yesterday -- baby steps, but looking good. I'll be excited to see the park proper open so they can unplug the railway's bike underpass.

This morning while on the 504 limo you could see that the new route was causing Leaside to downtown commuters some grief -- the loop means that they now have to wait at the lights to turn left onto King, which causes a serious delay.

Is the closure of the King/Queen triangle underpass permanent starting now? And, does that mean the 'park/island' is going to start construction some time soon?

Biked down and around Bayview yesterday -- baby steps, but looking good. I'll be excited to see the park proper open so they can unplug the railway's bike underpass.

This morning while on the 504 limo you could see that the new route was causing Leaside to downtown commuters some grief -- the loop means that they now have to wait at the lights to turn left onto King, which causes a serious delay.

Is the closure of the King/Queen triangle underpass permanent starting now? And, does that mean the 'park/island' is going to start construction some time soon?

The posted orange signage says that River between Queen and King is closed from 17 Feb to 31 May. As they did not close it until Saturday I guess the May date may slip too.

The underpass road will be filled in and a park built between King and Queen east of River Street.

The posted orange signage says that River between Queen and King is closed from 17 Feb to 31 May. As they did not close it until Saturday I guess the May date may slip too.

The underpass road will be filled in and a park built between King and Queen east of River Street.

DSC -- I understand about the underpass road being filled in. My question is about timing: Is that starting now? Or will they re-open it for a while, then close it again?

From the sounds of the sign you cite, the point of the River closure is to create a permanent barrier at the underpass, so it sounds like they're starting that construction now. Huzzah!

DSC -- I understand about the underpass road being filled in. My question is about timing: Is that starting now? Or will they re-open it for a while, then close it again?

From the sounds of the sign you cite, the point of the River closure is to create a permanent barrier at the underpass, so it sounds like they're starting that construction now. Huzzah!

Hi RRR: I had assmed they were going ahead with the road closing and the park building all at one time - I guess we will all find out!

Back