Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

I'm not sure about all of the roads in the proposed WDL development but last week I walked on the Bayview extension south of Queen St. to Don River Park and it seems very narrow whereas I had originally thought it might be like a small highway.

Yesterday I looked down on this section of Bayview while walking across the Queen St. bridge (over the DVP) and it also seemed quite narrow from this point of view - only one lane of traffic in each direction and only sidewalk (on the west side).
The existing section north of Queen is very narrow as well. No reason for it to suddenly get wider south of Queen.

Why not...is that not going to be a future neighbourhood to thousands of people....you would want at least a firetruck to easly get through
Why? There's no additional roads entering or exiting. Why suddenly make it wider in the middle of nowhere. It's no more difficult than the current piece. Have there been reports of firetrucks having problems on Bayview? The current piece is about 1-km with only a single driveway. I can't imagine why the short extension of only a couple hundred metres to Lawren Harris Square requires anything different.

Why? There's no additional roads entering or exiting. Why suddenly make it wider in the middle of nowhere. It's no more difficult than the current piece. Have there been reports of firetrucks having problems on Bayview? The current piece is about 1-km with only a single driveway. I can't imagine why the short extension of only a couple hundred metres to Lawren Harris Square requires anything different.

My apoligy nfitz, i thought somehow that artery was connected to the rest of the waterfront.

So what is going to happen at the intersection of Eastern and Front? I imagine all the traffic coming down the Bayview Ext. will now take Front St. east to downtown. Is the intersection going to be normalized and signalized?

EDIT: They should be putting up some large and visible signage down at Bayview and River informing drivers that there are some big changes coming soon. I can totally see the city opening the extension of Bayview to Mill and closing the River connection one day and no one having any idea where to go.

Last edited:
So what is going to happen at he intersection of Eastern and Front? I imagine all the traffic coming down the Bayview Ext. will now take Front St. east to downtown. Is the intersection going to be normalized and signalized?

I think eventually most cars will continue along Bayview to Mill Street but the western section of this is still blocked off due to Pan-Am Games construction. Cars can then turn onto either Cherry or Parliament and both have, or in case of Cherry, will have, lights. Initially all traffic will be sent to the King/Lower River intersection from Lawren Harris Square. There are new lights at Lower River (i.e. River Street south of King) and King.

I doubt cars will be encouraged to go along (old) Eastern Avenue towards Front Street if they want to go west as the junction of Eastern/Front at bottom of the bridge will be hard to adjust. (Now cars cannot turn west there, legally anyway!)

I think eventually most cars will continue along Bayview to Mill Street but the western section of this is still blocked off due to Pan-Am Games construction. Cars can then turn onto either Cherry or Parliament and both have, or in case of Cherry, will have, lights. Initially all traffic will be sent to the King/Lower River intersection from Lawren Harris Square. There are new lights at Lower River (i.e. River Street south of King) and King.

I doubt cars will be encouraged to go along (old) Eastern Avenue towards Front Street if they want to go west as the junction of Eastern/Front at bottom of the bridge will be hard to adjust. (Now cars cannot turn west there, legally anyway!)

But Front is being extended to Bayview. Won't cars coming south on Bayview all go this way? There must be some kind of plan to change this intersection.

EDIT: I just found in the plans that Front will have a normalized intersection with Eastern at Trinity Street.

Last edited:
So what is going to happen at the intersection of Eastern and Front? I imagine all the traffic coming down the Bayview Ext. will now take Front St. east to downtown.

They better repave Front if this is the case or everyone is going to need new suspension within the week.

So what is going to happen at the intersection of Eastern and Front? I imagine all the traffic coming down the Bayview Ext. will now take Front St. east to downtown. Is the intersection going to be normalized and signalized?
You won't be able to get from Bayview to Front until after the Pan Am games. Cars will either have to go up River and turn left at the new traffic lights at King, or go up St. Lawrence to the unsignalled intersection at King. Or they could go down the stub of Eastern, where they only turn right onto the main Eastern avenue, and cross the Don to Broadview Avenue and pull a U-Turn.

The new roads look close and closer to opening. I noticed the streetlights were on, one evening last week. And today I noticed that they had put up construction ahead signs on Bayview south of King.

The new roads look close and closer to opening. I noticed the streetlights were on, one evening last week. And today I noticed that they had put up construction ahead signs on Bayview south of King.

Yes, it's clearly close (and late! The new roads were due to open on December 31. ). There is an orange sign on Bayview saying River Street between King and Queen closed Feb 17 to May 31 (visible from Dundas Street bridge) but obviously it's still open.

Yesterday there were guys manually sweeping the new sidewalks with push brooms and someone was working on the new traffic lights on King at River.

The underside of the over-pass is lit with colourful lighting that changes every few minutes. It's quite theatrical with all the flashing lights.

The new Bayview is finally open and the bit of River between King and Queen is closed. Now one can get right up to the park fence south of Underpass Park. I understand they will be removing the temporary park fences fairly soon so one will be able to get to it (from King and Lower River only) but there's a security guard there now to ensure one can't get in.

Back