Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

We might as well get these out of the way right now, upfront, before the wailing begins.....

1.) too tall for the neighbourhood

2.) doesn't fit in

3.) sets too tall a precedent

4.) sidewalks can't handle the added traffic

5.) sewers and water mains can't handle the added traffic

6.) subway is already too full

7.) not enough room for loading docks etc.

8.) destroys the "fine-grained" old retail nostalgia on Yonge...

9.) in leap years will cast a 30 second shadow on Jesse Ketchum school :)

10.) think of the heritage structures!

11.) not enough living space for our most vulnerable residents

12.) cast shadows everywhere

13.) NIMBY revolt from condo owners at Aura, who are outraged that their view may be compromised

Have I missed any? :))

If you all thought The One was a fight, just wait until all the NIMBYs, members of city council, and Ryerson come out. This will be an all out war, the likes no one here has ever seen before.

I suspect that 344m is just their starting bid in order to negotiate something lower and closer to what they want.

I think Waterloo_Guy may be right... but I hope not; I love the idea of a 344m building right at Yonge & Gerrard. This one's got some strange angles but it's early days yet.

We might as well get these out of the way right now, upfront, before the wailing begins.....

1.) too tall for the neighbourhood

2.) doesn't fit in

3.) sets too tall a precedent

4.) sidewalks can't handle the added traffic

5.) sewers and water mains can't handle the added traffic

6.) subway is already too full

7.) not enough room for loading docks etc.

8.) destroys the "fine-grained" old retail nostalgia on Yonge...

9.) in leap years will cast a 30 second shadow on Jesse Ketchum school :)

10.) think of the heritage structures!

11.) not enough living space for our most vulnerable residents

12.) cast shadows everywhere

13.) NIMBY revolt from condo owners at Aura, who are outraged that their view may be compromised

Have I missed any? :))

Wind issues at ground level on Yonge St because there's nothing in the design to mitigate air swooping down the building to the sidewalk. (I'm not an engineer and they surely have wind studies to prove this wrong, but...)

Last edited:
If you all thought The One was a fight, just wait until all the NIMBYs, members of city council, and Ryerson come out. This will be an all out war, the likes no one here has ever seen before.

Why would Ryerson be opposed to this?

I suspect that 344m is just their starting bid in order to negotiate something lower and closer to what they want.

Supertall freaks would have an aneurism if it got negotiated down to 299 metres.

Back