Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

From this morning Dec. 15th. Haven't had one from here is awhile.

20231215_094152.jpg

I know the word "soulless" gets thrown around a lot regarding modern Toronto condos, but if there was one development to warrant this label, it's Canada House.
To me it's Toronto's response to "A machine for living". It's very efficiently designed to accommodate 1,400 units on the site - wrapped above-grade parking, ground floor retail, large amenity spaces, efficient, large towers. It's not offensive and is incredibly functional (waiting for @ProjectEnd to show me some god-awful floor plans here or something to ruin this for me) - but damn, is it ever bland.

Concord ButtSlap House is starting to grow on me for some reason...thanks Mr. Towered! 🙀

To me it's Toronto's response to "A machine for living". It's very efficiently designed to accommodate 1,400 units on the site - wrapped above-grade parking, ground floor retail, large amenity spaces, efficient, large towers. It's not offensive and is incredibly functional (waiting for @ProjectEnd to show me some god-awful floor plans here or something to ruin this for me) - but damn, is it ever bland.
TBH I haven't looked at the unit plans in years, but I don't remember anything being particularly bad here. If anything, I recall they were better than average with deeper, mostly recessed, balconies and those heaters for year-round use. The amenity package is pretty enormous including huge spaces in and on top of the podium, as well as on top of the towers.
The paired towers aren't bad at all, it's the big bulky podium and another full block of window wall for the pedestrian experience, well not my cup of tea...
I wish we did more large podiums, with multi-level retail a la Hong Kong, but that kind of thing just doesn't pencil here unfortunately.

TBH I haven't looked at the unit plans in years, but I don't remember anything being particularly bad here. If anything, I recall they were better than average with deeper, mostly recessed, balconies and those heaters for year-round use. The amenity package is pretty enormous including huge spaces in and on top of the podium, as well as on top of the towers.

I wish we did more large podiums, with multi-level retail a la Hong Kong, but that kind of thing just doesn't pencil here unfortunately.
Yes - after posting that I actually took a look at the plans here. This looks like it will actually be a pretty decent building, units seem large and functional with good sized balconies (with heaters!) and the amenities package is pretty strong. Ice skating rink on the roof (zamboni room included!), rooftop party rooms and gym, kids play area, off-leash dog area, car wash in the basement, etc.

A very, very functional building. Just bland.

December 19 - In The Late Afternoon Sunlight. One comment - rebar now in place for the vertical columns supporting the next floor for the currently higher tower. The pace of construction appears to have slowed down quite a bit over the past weeks, compared to the time required for the prior two floors - perhaps getting to the level where there is more customization of the floor layouts.

1000003007.jpg

20231219_162311.jpg

1000003008.jpg

I wish Toronto was a city with fewer zoning restrictions, no housing crisis and a much slower growth rate. Maybe then we could have avoided the slew of mediocre or just plain trash condos that have been taking over the city for the past 20 years :rolleyes:

I would also like more vertical retail in Toronto, along with more options to dine on higher floors at non-exhorbitant price points.

Back