Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

At least I'm not pretending Toronto can realistically rival the likes of Dubai or Billionaires' Row. Toronto will NEVER be a traditionally 10/10 sexy city. Not unless you can somehow elongate James Bay and connect it to lake Ontario. Or, alternatively, lower Wasaga Beach to Newmarket. Whichever is easier. And in my experience, cities that don't score a 10 in natural geography, DON"t have stellar architecture. Because money follows natural beauty. And not just in real estate ;)

If I can't afford a 1 Bdm in this building, how can I even contemplate affording something in a more attractive building? I would live in this building if the price were right for the average Toronto resident currently. It seems perfectly acceptable in design IF, and that's a big IF, the price was right.

However, if what's preventing Toronto from doing better design-wise is corruption, both on the developer and city sides, then of course I would encourage everyone on the forum to call out the leeches. That's a no-brainer.
Uhh…. What about Chicago? Our literal sister city known for its architecture and similar geography?

When even cmac is flaming your take you know it’s a bad take.

Also the mentality that Toronto is not a beautiful or world class city so we shouldn’t expect much is the exact reason we get crappy buildings in the first place. A lack of pride in the city just breeds more bland and tasteless projects
It's not that i lack pride in TO. To is beautiful in its own dark vibe way. Like gotham city. But not hot like Miami imo. Also brutalist architecture in TO has lowered my standards inevitably. I would love for Toronto to have truly beautiful uplifting architecture but the money isn't there if you are not the IT sexy city. I hope that i am wrong. Take my comments for what they are worth.

Well that was a fun couple pages to get caught up on. I don’t think I can say much else without breaking some kind of code of conduct. Anyways, hope everyone is having a nice day.

Does anyone seriously see a maple leaf pattern there? Looks more like the imprint of an unsolicited butt slap.
Exactly where in the official front page of Canada House is a maple leaf clearly laid out? LOL Show the project to someone who is not familiar with it and I guarantee they will think it's abstract art, à la Sugar Wharf :cool:.

The renders look cartoonish, the towers look like two flat pieces of cardboard stuck on there like puzzle pieces. That is why an air of optimism is needed on the forum to celebrate the fact these towers have, against all odds, managed to one-up the renders. To expect otherwise is to delude yourself.

December 6 - A lot of formwork for the next floor of the taller tower has been moved into place between yesterday and today. Concrete was being poured almost all day at the shorter tower. The pace of work appears to have slowed down at least on the taller tower - previously it was running about one week between new vertical rebar for the support columns for the next floor becoming visible. Currently, it looks like it will be over two weeks between the last reach up and the next one.

1000002686.jpg

20231206_151423.jpg

My girlfriend saw the leaves in 5 seconds but I did ask her "what do you see in these buildings?"
You have just proven my point. Keep in mind the brain can recognize an object or pattern in as little as 100 milliseconds. I showed the project file to my ma 😅 and asked what, if any, design elements stood out to her. The first thing that stood out was the lit crowns. I directed her towards the body of the towers and she said, 'oh yes, the white formations'. When I pressed her if the pattern reminds her of anything, the best she could come up with was "Christmas Deer" !!! 🤣 I swear to God, you can't make this shit up. If you don't believe me I encourage everyone to show the project file to someone unfamiliar with the project.

All of these senior commentators whom I of course have great respect for, are unfortunately deluding themselves. The 'reveal' of this project was there all along for them to see, but they have been conjuring feel-good fantasies in their head due to the chronic pain inflicted upon them by TO fartchitechts.

Last edited:
Here I am a semi retired semi old fart from Vancouver and Toronto living near Miami for my winters. It seems I have had a good life and career in Toronto without the feeling of having my soul sucked out especially due to banal architecture. I can understand the cold grey winters bring a bummer but honestly some of the comments on here are more soul sucking than the Toronto I've always rather enjoyed. I under stand people being dissatisfied or disillusioned but really .Move on or move out or move back! Millions have come to Toronto and had a wonderful life and don't care about bad architecture or sun and sand or Miami. Most just want a decent life and most have achieved that. I appreciate everyone wanting a 'better' place to live and enjoy. Others are just bitter for what ever reason only they can know.

All the best to you.

Here I am a semi retired semi old fart from Vancouver and Toronto living near Miami for my winters. It seems I have had a good life and career in Toronto without the feeling of having my soul sucked out especially due to banal architecture. I can understand the cold grey winters bring a bummer but honestly some of the comments on here are more soul sucking than the Toronto I've always rather enjoyed. I under stand people being dissatisfied or disillusioned but really .Move on or move out or move back! Millions have come to Toronto and had a wonderful life and don't care about bad architecture or sun and sand or Miami. Most just want a decent life and most have achieved that. I appreciate everyone wanting a 'better' place to live and enjoy. Others are just bitter for what ever reason only they can know.

All the best to you.

Uhhhh hello....your on a chat forum called "Urban Toronto". A big part of this site is to critique the city's architecture. We don't come here to discuss the weather. If these discussions bother you and suck the soul out you, do us a favor and YOU move on or move out. There's nothing wrong with being annoyed about our city becoming rife shitty looking buildings. It's our home and we take pride in it, maybe you should do the same.

Last edited:
Uhhhh hello....your on a chat forum called "Urban Toronto". A big part of this site is to critique the city's architecture. We don't come here to discuss the weather. If these discussions bother you and suck the soul out you, do us a favor and YOU move on or move out. There's wrong with being annoyed about our city becoming rife shitty looking buildings. It's our home and we take pride in it, maybe you should do the same.
With respect you are one with the' hate on' with ranting. I am very proud of Toronto and have been since I moved to Toronto in 1978 to go to University. There is room for improvement of course.with architecture and urban planning in Toronto. I have been on this site for many years and enjoy the banter and critiques. However occasionally some one comes along and is simply has only negative things to say and should be called out.

With respect you are one with the' hate on' with ranting. I am very proud of Toronto and have been since I moved to Toronto in 1978 to go to University. There is room for improvement of course.with architecture and urban planning in Toronto. I have been on this site for many years and enjoy the banter and critiques. However occasionally some one comes along and is simply has only negative things to say and should be called out.

K, that's completely different then your original post....You moved the goal posts.

Back