Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

I thought it was just a trick of the light on the different angles but it sure looks like every other floor they are alternating between opaque and clear glass on the balconies. I kinda wish they'd done the whole thing in the opaque glass.

The two-tone balcony glass treatment looks a bit like the temporary green screening on the festival tower from a distance. I agree the frosted would have looked better all-around.

someMidTowner said:
J37Xv.jpg

This might turn out well. Potentially stunning. Fingers crossed.

I thought it was just a trick of the light on the different angles but it sure looks like every other floor they are alternating between opaque and clear glass on the balconies. I kinda wish they'd done the whole thing in the opaque glass.

It indeed looks like two types of glass being used.
It will definitely accentuate the shifting angles of the balconies especially from a distance. I'm not sure that alternating the glass types on every other floor is the way to go as it will look too busy and more stripey.
The wavey balconies at Market Wharf looks pretty flat from the distance in comparison.

Nonetheless, the building is looking good so far and I think it will turn out very nicely in the end.

Last edited:
I can 100% confirm that the balconies use both clear and frosted glass. The effect is quite impressive, but from up close one wonders if they could have handled the transition a bit better maybe by adding a buffer panel between the clear and the frosted glass, fading the frosted glass to clear

I can 100% confirm that the balconies use both clear and frosted glass. The effect is quite impressive, but from up close one wonders if they could have handled the transition a bit better maybe by adding a buffer panel between the clear and the frosted glass, fading the frosted glass to clear

Actually, you're mistaken. All of the glass is fritted, but half of it has a 50% frit with the frit to the exterior, and half of it is a 30% frit with the frit to the interior. And I think the transition is deliberately abrupt because it's meant to accentuate the break in the balconies. Not sure if I'm crazy about either (I think I would have liked it better if they didn't alternate the pattern the way they did), but it's definitely going to be distinctive.

@someMidTowner: I don't know...I see what you're saying, but I think that once complete the every-other effect will look nice, leading your eye up the building in a consistent way. By blending them I think you might get less of a 'counting up' effect.

@someMidTowner: I don't know...I see what you're saying, but I think that once complete the every-other effect will look nice, leading your eye up the building in a consistent way. By blending them I think you might get less of a 'counting up' effect.

To be clear, I meant blending the different types of glass where they meet horizontally.
ffxXK.jpg

I'm liking this tower a lot. It may end up being one of the rare towers that look even better up close than from a distance. As for the glass, I like the way they abruptly transition too. The alternating theme also seems to do a good job of keeping order, but not to the point of "natzi-ism" had they not alternated.

Back