Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

Actually, nothing was demolished or transformed for 1 St Thomas. That was a surface parking lot for awhile before the tower got built.

There's no connection between 1 St. Thomas and the Distillery when it comes to repurposing old buildings and enhancing them with contemporary additions, yet syn keeps picking at the scab of the late and unlamented Rack House 'M' ( he's a fan of such elderly, second-rate architecture it seems ... ) and trying to make such links.

There's no connection between 1 St. Thomas and the Distillery when it comes to repurposing old buildings and enhancing them with contemporary additions, yet syn keeps picking at the scab of the late and unlamented Rack House 'M' ( he's a fan of such elderly, second-rate architecture it seems ... ) and trying to make such links.

Rack House M, though ugly, was part of the history of the site and had this hulking industrial presence that you would be hard-pressed to find today in Toronto. It also had a sweet neon sign up on top.

I'd say it would have made a unique podium for Clear Spirit with some windows punched into it.

From ToBuilt:
RackHouseM.jpg

http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=2974

Earlier in the thread, Rack House M is on the left.
IMG_0517-769870.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say it would have made a unique podium for Clear Spirit with some windows punched into it.

It was grossly out of scale with the adjacent - and much more comely - Victorian-era industrial buildings. The good news is that the replacement structure, which will function as a podium, will have windows and be of a scale to match those earlier treasures.

Strange Shocker, I thought you were a fan of blank unadorned walls?

Perhaps you're just very bourgeois and find industrial spaces uncomfortable?

I would've kept the building as a living 3D "industrial sculpture" and gasp, perhaps even kept it as a functioning rackhouse to a boutique distillery label. Gooderham Whiskey? Why not! Perhaps insert some glass frames into the blank spaces showcasing art or Victorian era industrial tools?

Last edited:
Defending the architectural merits of a featureless rectangle? Really, jje1000? It seems like anything built 100+ years ago is considered a "heritage structure" these days. Nostalgia shouldn't determine the fate of a structure. While I agree that architecturally interesting heritage structures need to be preserved, much of what is classified as "heritage" by the city is garbage and needs to be removed to make way for future development.

Defending the architectural merits of a featureless rectangle? Really, jje1000? It seems like anything built 100+ years ago is considered a "heritage structure" these days. Nostalgia shouldn't determine the fate of a structure. While I agree that architecturally interesting heritage structures need to be preserved, much of what is classified as "heritage" by the city is garbage and needs to be removed to make way for future development.

By that logic, featureless pyramids are just as dispensable...

By that logic, featureless pyramids are just as dispensable...

Indeed. Really, GenericUser, why don't we demolish the other Rackhouses as well, since the're also just ugly featureless rectangles as well? We might as well demolish most of Queen Street West since most of it is nondescript, right?

I didn't see this "rectangle" as an impediment to future development, but instead an opportunity for creative reuse.

Since when is Queen Street West is nondescript?

Actually, nothing was demolished or transformed for 1 St Thomas. That was a surface parking lot for awhile before the tower got built.

You might be thinking of U Condos. There were some older buildings removed for 1 St. Thomas from what I recall.

There's no connection between 1 St. Thomas and the Distillery when it comes to repurposing old buildings and enhancing them with contemporary additions,

That's the problem. They didn't repurpose Rackhouse M, they tore it down.

yet syn keeps picking at the scab of the late and unlamented Rack House 'M' ( he's a fan of such elderly, second-rate architecture it seems ... ) and trying to make such links.

No, I simply have a respect for history and would've preferred a creative solution which retained a building that was part of the Distillery since the 1920s.

It was grossly out of scale with the adjacent - and much more comely - Victorian-era industrial buildings. The good news is that the replacement structure, which will function as a podium, will have windows and be of a scale to match those earlier treasures.

Rackhouse M was out of scale but 40 storey condos aren't??

The Distillery District isn't simply a collection of structures. It's a National Historic Site and the largest collection of preserved Industrial Victorian bulidings in NA.

Rackhouse M may not have been pretty, but it was a large and very prominent component of the district and has been for nearly a century. A great design would've incorporated this structure.

That's the problem. They didn't repurpose Rackhouse M, they tore it down.

1 St. Thomas isn't an example of repurposing anything, whereas the Distillery contains North America's largest surviving collection of Victorian industrial architecture.

No, I simply have a respect for history and would've preferred a creative solution which retained a building that was part of the Distillery since the 1920s

It isn't only at the Distillery where this process is happening - all sorts of other creative solutions involve removing unsuitable buildings and repurposing others - Bridgepoint saves William Thomas's important Don Jail and the architecturally unimportant Modernist addition is being removed, for instance.

Rackhouse M was out of scale but 40 storey condos aren't??

Rack House 'M' was out of scale with the surrounding set of earlier buildings, such as the ones that include the Young Centre.

Back