Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

In fact, says Councillor Adam Vaughan (Trinity-Spadina), not one to mince words: “GO Transit are being absolute f---ing a--holes.â€

First time ever that I find myself cheering for Adam Vaughan.....

GO and CN need to be taken to task!

You gotta love this though: "The city ... submits that for a variety of reasons, including the lack of any real development potential, 'nil' would be an appropriate valuation in lieu of the $700,000 asserted by CN Rail."

And more kicks! "CN should beware making claims about air rights, Mr. Vaughan warns. "If that's what the air rights are really worth, we're going to send you [CN] a tax bill for the air rights above the whole train shed." "

Gosh! It just warms the heart to see people threaten each other with our money!

What the heck GO, just give the people a bridge to cross your stupid railway. It isn't like you provide decent service anyway. Your trains are always late or full.

Congrats to Adam Vaughan for getting so vocal on this one.

I mentioned Vaughan's reaction much earlier.

If any of you are available, please come to the next public meeting when it's called. It's important that GO understand that the city is not to be viewed as an impediment to their operations.

Nothing will ever happen here - the city will continue to talk the talk, but will ultimately play it soft, for fear of actually pissing CN or GO off. There is nothing more to be said than we get what we deserve. IMO, this area should have been expropriated by the city years ago, with the CN and GO (GO does pay user fees to CN for the right to use some of their tracks) etc., paying rent or user fees for the rights to run their tracks through the area - not the other way around.

p5

for fear of actually pissing CN or GO off.

What exactly would happen if we pissed CN or GO off? CN already moved its intermodal yards into Vaughan. GO Transit wouldn't exist if it wasn't for downtown Toronto. I say piss them off. They're running through our city and our neighbourhoods - they're putting all these restrictions based the theoretical - "Maybe someone will commit suicide or throw something over the bridge". Meanwhile, their diesel powered trains throw soot and pollution into residential areas, which are PROVEN to be harmful.

This is DRL territory. I wonder how long it would take to "expropriate" GO and CN, plop in some DRL stations, and get the trains running.

As part of my study on DRL station design, I've been thinking about incorporating DRL stations on the Railway Lands with landmark pedestrian bridges like those shown on this thread.

What exactly would happen if we pissed CN or GO off?...I say piss them off.

That is what I am saying - we need to get tough and demand action. This city believes it is taking the high road, but in reality they are just laying on the tracks waiting for the train to put them out of their misery. Furthermore, we should be demanding that they electrify all their lines, no matter the cost- just do it already.

p5

GO is also asking that the new bridge be fully enclosed. “The trend is that future bridges be contained, to prevent suicides and people throwing projectiles,â€

They would probably be happy with something like this.:mad:

7430961_739dfc4a701.jpg

Doesn't have to be so bleak...

John St. bridge over the rails with anti-throwing-stuff walls:

457216480_fd8d55679d.jpg

(by jnicholl81 on Flickr)

Fully enclosed bridge between the convention centre and the CN Tower:

2315967386_ed7ffa2f46.jpg

(Seeking Zen on Flickr)

Ontario Place bridge:

1467126365_01c66c26be.jpg

(fulcrumdb1 on Flickr)

Last edited:
I find it really funny that they are putting up such a stink when anyone can easily jump or throw things from the Spadina or Bathurst Street bridges.

The rail companies get pretty aggressive if someone plans to build over their airspace this is why we have some divided neighbourhoods example Liberty Village-King West, Queen West-North Liberty Village. It would be nice to see a pathbridge around Shaw.St over to East Liberty and another say Lisgar over to Joe Shuster Way.

It just makes no sense to be building these new neighbourhoods around the tracks and then having to walk 1/2 mile either way just to get over to the other side when you can bridge it a couple of hundred feet.:rolleyes:

By the way i found this pic on the net, which i thought was a good looking enclosed pedestrian bridge, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport_Skybridge problem is i dont think it work down there. anyways its a nice design.

skybridge1s1.jpg

skybridge11.jpg

Back